Looking for help with stereo build on 84 FJ60; cargo panel (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just got an FJ60... really good condition... zero audio. I have a trusted stereo shop in Memphis I will use, and I could use some help from folks around here picking out the components. I want it to all look as color-matching/period as possible.

Please tell me what y'all think, or if you know of someone with a full build I could just copy (stereo), that'd be great.

• Head unit - Use a retro style head unit to look 84-ish, something like RetroSound. Modern Sound for Your Classic. - https://www.retromanufacturing.com/
  • Front doors - Install two new speakers, preferably beneath the stock grills, but, if not find some brown/tan colored grills so it looks correct (not black)
  • No speakers in rear doors
  • Cargo area - The side panels are already falling apart, so I'd like to buy some new ones (or have made if absolutely necessary)... proper aesthetic as possible with locations built in to install 6x9s on each side (most likely)
  • Sub - In cargo area in a box
  • Amp - Under a seat

Could y'all help me out?

I went with this sub. It's mounted under the driver's seat and I love it. I have an amp under the passenger seat as well. I went with Alpine speakers in the front door and cargo panels

Amazon product ASIN B00OYGGMXK

As far as cargo panels, they're actually not too difficult to build yourself. Can easily be done in two days. I made mine out of MDF, water proofed them and covered with foam and vinyl fabric.

The best way to do the rear panel would be to build a new panel from 1/8”-1/4” hardboard card stock or similar.. and delete the speaker. ESP if running sub

Component choice really is an art .. unless you just want some sound. If you’re picky.. it’s all about power in the car audio environment. Front speakers choices are way more important than sub, stock door panels need mass loader for anything more than a blah speaker. Installation and tuning is critical. That’s my 1000 ft opinions

Saw this a while back and saved it-looks great, good job cam2ski !

These work really well for the front door speakers:

Whatever you get, for the fronts youll need some shallow mount speakers becasue if you go too deep, theyll hit your window. Im in memphis too, who were you thinking about using? Sound waves? I had them do rear speakers in a firstgen 4runner back in the day. They did a great job. My plan was to build a bracket in the general area mount the speaker and then cut the oem panel and mount a grille to the panel. Theyll be able to do that no prob at soundwaves

Thanks to all. Here's what I've gleaned from here, but I still could use a bit more advice.

===

Head Unit
Find a good looking retro unit to match 1984 style (yet have Bluetooth)

Front Speakers
Use the speaker adapters made by @TheNeek (FJ60 & FJ62 Front Speaker Adapters and Spacer - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/fj60-fj62-front-speaker-adapters-and-spacer.1058828/)
Then install appropriate size speakers which, thanks to adapter, will fit behind the OEM grill; looks like 5.25"

Cargo Panels
I'm just going to make or get made some out of plain old wood painted brown or covered in vinyl; something very simple to start. I can always upgrade later.

Rear Speakers
Cut two holes in the above cargo panels to install a 6x9 in each side

Subwoofer
In a box in the rear cargo area

Amp
Under a seat somewhere

===

Does this sound like a good setup to y'all? I'm new to LCs and doing this all in my head and from reading, so I'd love second opinions or comments.

(@dbbowen - Yes, I'm using Soundwaves. Buddy up there has been pretty great.)

Bump

Also, has anyone ever tried speakers in the rear doors? What about a sound bar across the roof?

FWIW, here's what I did:

-2001 Corolla head unit (tape cassette and CD changer were my requirements; Toyota OEM head units have always seemed reasonably powerful to me)
->junkyard unit
-Rockford-Fosgate R165 pair in front doors (needed spacers)
-Rockford-Fosgate R169 pair in cargo panels (ones I made out of 1/8" ABS)
-Cheap marine Bluetooth receiver + "black box" CD changer adapter from Amazon = BT on the CD changer of the head unit (all parts hidden under dash)
-single DIN 3D printed radio bracket from chaserFJ60 here on Mud

What I get out of it:
-Fairly loud sound
-Fairly good sound (I'm an audio engineer and have picky ears)
-Play radio, cassettes, and BT
-100% clean install, all extra wiring hidden
-OEM-ish look for the head unit with matching green backlight
-Roughly $250 spent - this car audio stuff can get VERY expensive VERY quickly

--------

Sounds like you want some different stuff, but I thought maybe you could pull from my ideas if something grabbed you. When I was doing mine I wished there was more FJ60 stereo inspiration out there. Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom