Looking for donation- cracked 2L-TE Head (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all.. I am starting to design a new 2L-TE inake & exhaust package complete with 3"exhaust & intercooler.. I need an old "useless" head to 3D laser scan & knit into my completed engine bay laser scans.
So if you've got a cracked head reach out to me... I can put your "junk" to good use...
Cheers

Gents.. I'm 3D designing a complete power upgrade system for the 2L-TE... my LJ78 is the guinea pig... so here's the concept:
1) tuned exhaust manifold
2) tuned intake manifold
3) upgraded throttle body
3) CT20 T/C
4) 3" exhaust
5) top mounted intercooler air in and out ducted to a shaker hood (kind of a cross between a Camaro rear opening & a hemispheric front facing opening)
6) integrated cng system
7) upgraded sensors with piggy back ecu
Before you guys start slashing. I'm a mechanical & controls designer by trade..
Moderators.. please advise as to where to move this post... thanks

20190121_141040.jpg

20190121_134058.jpg

I'll keep my eye out for an old cylinder head for you.

If you're going to go to all that work, design for a more modern turbo! Something like a Mitsubishi TD04L-13T. A modern turbo is one of the best upgrades a person could make to these engines.

An ECU capable of tuning would be great! That's another major short coming of these motors.

Usually tuning intake and exhaust manifolds is more of a normally aspirated motor thing?, but it'll be interesting to see what you come up with.

Another idea might be to come up with a 'kit' for swapping in a better engine... Rather than 'polishing poo'. Not that the 2LTE is that bad, but for the work and money.....

Hmmm.. a Mitsubishi TD04L-13T. A interesting.. thanks for the suggestion..I've found a CT20 ceramic coated with larger impellers in Australia...sometimes bigger is better..
I'm only looking for around 12psi after intercooler @ 3500 rpm... with a lambda sensor controlling the piggyback ecu/injection pump & the cng injection system. Hoping for upwards of 175 ponies..
A engine swap out kit could be done.. but I'd have to have access to a bare engine bay & the proposed swap out engine on a chain block to reverse engineer a kit... but you know how it is.. time = money.. don't mind throwing $$ at my prado to test my ideas..
all other comments and suggestions are welcome

The problem with bigger is the airflow of the small engine will not spin it up as fast. So, you have tons of turbo at the top and not much at the bottom. Now, a variable vane turbo would be another matter entirely.
You can easily get 12PSI out of the current turbo. I am running 17 PSI now at that kind of RPM. And I know Nick regularly hits 19PSI on his.

Hmmm.. a Mitsubishi TD04L-13T. A interesting.. thanks for the suggestion..I've found a CT20 ceramic coated with larger impellers in Australia...sometimes bigger is better..
I'm only looking for around 12psi after intercooler @ 3500 rpm... with a lambda sensor controlling the piggyback ecu/injection pump & the cng injection system. Hoping for upwards of 175 ponies..
A engine swap out kit could be done.. but I'd have to have access to a bare engine bay & the proposed swap out engine on a chain block to reverse engineer a kit... but you know how it is.. time = money.. don't mind throwing $$ at my prado to test my ideas..
all other comments and suggestions are welcome

You'll need a lot more boost (or rpms) to get enough air to make 175hp. Some of the mercedes IDI turbo engines rev up to 5000rpm and are capable of that sort of power with a similar displacement. However the 8V Toyota head probably won't flow enough at those rpms to maintain the torque curve needed to make that much power. Perhaps with a custom cam grind. So then you're left with running higher boost at lower rpm. Problem there is the compression ratio. Direct injection diesels with lower compression ratios can take much higher boost, but IDI's not so much. Running more than around 25psi will probably not work out well. That said, intercooled 25psi should be possible with the TD04L series. And 175hp just might be possible. You will be relying on the CNG heavily, as the 2LTE injection pump only has the capacity for about ~120hp maximum. I've thought of upgrading to the 1KZTE pump a few times. If I find one cheap enough I'll give it a try. The 1KZTE pump has a 12mm plunger (vs. 10mm on the 2LTE). It's proven to be capable of 175hp.

The other big problem is the heat generated at those power levels will be substantial (thanks to the IDI design). I think the motor will only be able to make that power for short periods of time (ie. light to light in the city, but not towing for hours on end for example).

Definitely an interesting discussion however. I do like pushing these motors to the limit.

GRSSportCoupe... & all.. thanks for the comnents.... I'm aware of the 2l-te denso pump limitations ... ergo the CNG injection system & all the new sensors & piggyback program on the fly ecu...
But I'm still looking for the cracked head...........

Forgot to mention.. the cracked head will also be sent to a buddy of mine in so Calif to try out different porting / larger int & exh valve scenarios... to optimize the head to work with the new exhaust & intake manifolds..

There was a version of the 2LTE called the 2LTHE that had special ceramic (silicon nitride) pre-combustion chambers to provide better efficiency. It also came with a 'ceramic' turbo (ceramic shaft and turbine maybe?). I always thought it would be neat to get a hold of that head and start there.

The 2LTE shares the same valve size as the 1PZ, 1HZ, 1HDT, (and I think the 1KZ) so what you figure out will apply to those motors too.

Folks have invested lots into making big power out of the 1HZ. Proportionally, 175hp out of a 2LTE is like 300hp out of a 1HZ. I've never heard of a 1HZ making that much, but it could be out there. Would give a good idea of what is needed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom