Builds A not so informative LJ78 'build' thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well, thanks to a few very knowledgeable members, I've embarked on doing what I can to give myself the best chance of enjoying my LJ78 for years to come without a head issue. First off this is not an informative, how-to thread. Thanks to guys like GTSSportCoupe, Jarrat, Airheadnut and others, this non-mechanic has taken the leap.

This is more of a photo essay of my work. And, if you come across this as a new 78 owner, here's your takeaway......If I can do it, you can do it! Really. Outside of a few belts, sparkplugs and brakes, I'm not a gearhead.

So, with that. Here goes.
The Before with all the EGR stuff.
thumbnail_IMG_1263[1].jpg

Here with the EGR attachments gone
thumbnail_IMG_1266[1].jpg

After taking the intake off, hoping to get at the throttle plates without going any further..Yeah, right.
thumbnail_IMG_1267[1].jpg

Alright, So, I had to remove the Venturi to try and get the plates out. The small plate came out fine. The Large plate, (in my case) appeared to have been more riveted than screwed in. I took it to a machine shop in town and the guy didn't want to touch it. Hmmm Fortunatly we have two shops and the guy at the second had me out the door in 20 minutes! Look at all that air!
thumbnail_IMG_1282[1].jpg

For blocking off the the EGR ports, I'm fortunate to have a couple of pipe welding sons who know their way around metal. So I had a metal block made for the exhaust port and for the intake manifold port, because the transmission dipstick is attached via a bracket, he made the block out of aluminum x 6 to get the right fit. Kinda pretty.
thumbnail_IMG_1280[1].jpg

Here she is buttoned up.
thumbnail_IMG_1283[1].jpg

Next up is an oil catch can, but I have to remove the hood for that. Once the engine is taken care of as best I can, i'll move on the fun part of the build.

Looking good! Interested to see what you have in store for your Prado!

Right on! Thanks for the pictures. Keep up the good work.

That extra hose is to reduce resonance from the turbo I believe. To make the vehicle a little quieter at certain rpms. You can take the cap that is in the very end, and just put it in the large hose from the air filter. Cleans things up nice. I only get the resonance when I'm cruising around 130-140km/h (80-85mph). :)

Looking good! I might be wrong but the hoses on your oil catch might be a little small. I ran smaller hoses on mine and had issues with my truck smoking out the exhaust at idle.

OK, need some help on this one. I have a hose coming off the top Rad hose and going to the back of the motor. I don't see this on other LJ 78 pics and I don't see in the manual either. Former owner do something? Any ideas? Ready to swap in new hoses. I'm going to have to pull the hood off to see where it goes?

I'd say that's definitely not factory. Will be interesting to learn where it goes though.

Well, I haven't taken the hood off yet but was able to snap this picture. This is the back side of the head/block. The light colored pipe is the EGR pipe from Exhaust manifold to the intake side with the big UFO on top. To the left of my finger is a metal pipe that the hose attaches to. It looks and feels like it enters the back side of the head or block.
thumbnail_IMG_1308[1].jpg

I would think the direction of flow would be from the motor to the rad hose, so that is then passes through the rad and re-circulates. Hmmm

Well, I haven't taken the hood off yet but was able to snap this picture. This is the back side of the head/block. The light colored pipe is the EGR pipe from Exhaust manifold to the intake side with the big UFO on top. To the left of my finger is a metal pipe that the hose attaches to. It looks and feels like it enters the back side of the head or block.
I would think the direction of flow would be from the motor to the rad hose, so that is then passes through the rad and re-circulates. Hmmm

Might be someones exotic attempt to cure the early model 2lte head issues?

OK, so here is my tester for the Alien hose that has inhabited my 78. I will insert it into the line and run with it fully open. Then I will progressively close the valve in small increments and see if she runs any warmer as I do so. If not, I will cut and cap the hose and have my new top rad hose inserted.

thumbnail_IMG_1360[1].jpg

So, I installed my tester and ran it up to normal temperature then idled in the driveway. I slowly turned the valve closed over about a 10 minute period and saw no change to the temp gauge. So, tomorrow I'll run it to work with it closed and see if it runs any hotter at cruising speed.
thumbnail_IMG_1361[1].jpg

And, these came today :) Any secret to changing them out? Never done glow plugs.:confused:

View attachment 1315261

Pretty much the same as spark plugs. In my case, they had little ceramic-coated brass retaining nuts on the glow plug buss bar, and the ceramic came off and left the brass behind. I had to use a dremel to cut away the brass; it was a mess. Hopefully yours are better!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom