Looking for 80 and wanted opinions on one that is local. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Not new to LCs but new to 80s.

This popped up north of me, hopefully will check it out this weekend. They want a lot for it, but its a salvage title with somewhat high mileage foe the price (not to concerning considering insurance value of vehicles vs repair costs vs market) but wanted a list of things to check out before I pull the trigger mechanically.

Mods if this isnt the right place for this let me know. Im a noob to these forums.

You can find very similar ones on here with a regular title for less money

Nice looking truck but way too high on price if it's a salvage title. A clean title vehicle in that condition might be worth that, but no way on a salvage title. That's my opinion but if you're not bothered by the title don't let me stop you.

Couple other things....
Looks like a fresh repaint, but not the best quality job. Things like flare gaskets etc just got painted over.
Missing 3rd row seats.
Has had leather replaced (good or bad)
Looks like a lot of cosmetic stuff done for a quick sale at to try to get a higher price. I'd be doing a thorough check on the mechanicals before pulling the trigger on a rig like this.

Don't walk away RUN!!!!!!!

I'd be concerned with that paint work and title that someone was trying to put lipstick on a pig to recoup some money. Regardless given it's title and miles I'd say it's $10k overpriced at best.

Never seen that bumper before on the front. Too much even for clean title.

Depending on the reason it was salvaged in the first place it may not be worth even 5k. If it was salvaged for non structural reasons then it could be a good truck but you can get more good in another truck with 17k and have full coverage insurance if you want.

Thnks for the feedback

There's a guy selling a cherry 96 with a ton of maintenance and such on the 80 series FB group for $15k, it's in Texas.

For me, anything but a clean title is an absolute deal breaker. Way overpriced.

I'd honestly rather(and did) buy a solid cruiser that just needs some TLC for way cheaper and do the work myself.

I like the bumper though.

Also for me, a cruiser is lifestyle vehicle. Take it offroad, overlanding, rock crawling, etc.. Paint and cosmetic is secondary, follow by a good bill of health, and the most important for me is rust. Find a non rust bucket rig from the West coast, everything else can be replaced or repaired when time comes for upgrade.

My big issues is getting down to TX and getting back in time for work. Im about to graduate our states police academy and will be in FTO for a hot minute.

My big issues is getting down to TX and getting back in time for work. Im about to graduate our states police academy and will be in FTO for a hot minute.

Could try mudship or have a friend take on the drive, the seller seems motivated as it's just popped up in a couple of other FB groups I'm in.

Also for me, a cruiser is lifestyle vehicle. Take it offroad, overlanding, rock crawling, etc.. Paint and cosmetic is secondary, follow by a good bill of health, and the most important for me is rust. Find a non rust bucket rig from the West coast, everything else can be replaced or repaired when time comes for upgrade.

I brought mine based on pretty much everything you mentioned lol, the PO had rattle canned, brushed and god knows what else the crappiest bedliner on the whole vehicle (literally I no joke had to use acetone to clean the windows) outside of the guy before him having the HG done no other PM had ever been done and it needed 3 weekends of work from me before I'd drive it other than getting it back to my shop.

7D4255CB-B2F1-4B02-A75D-4D33E5AE0879.png

D6BABEB3-BF40-4E7F-8583-D0988793793A.png

Ill wait for the right one then, looking for one not so built out, but in good shape that is mechanically solid and rust free. I plan on adding air lockers eventually if it doesnt have the option. I wish I had the coin to swing for 15k at the moment, as my 14 4runner would have to go.

I’m gonna go against everyone else and say don’t let the salvage title scare you away. I would talk with the owner and get the story as to why it’s salvaged and get pictures of whatever damage was done, and if it’s nothing with lasting impacts than you’re totally good.

I bought a salvaged (rebuilt) 80 about a year ago and got it for considerably cheaper than it should’ve been because it was salvaged and it has been an amazing truck.

Edit - just looked at the ad for that 80 and being salvaged that’s definitely not a good deal. But still my statement stands that don’t let a salvaged title scare you off

Last edited:
If you are only paying 3-4k for a salvage title rig, then by all means. However, but everyone on MUD knows paying the initial price is just the tip of the iceberg. Does it worth sinking additional 10-15k into your build knowing your rig has a salvage title?? Probably not...all depending on what you need the rig for IMO.

I’m gonna go against everyone else and say don’t let the salvage title scare you away. I would talk with the owner and get the story as to why it’s salvaged and get pictures of whatever damage was done, and if it’s nothing with lasting impacts than you’re totally good.

I bought a salvaged (rebuilt) 80 about a year ago and got it for considerably cheaper than it should’ve been because it was salvaged and it has been an amazing truck.

Edit - just looked at the ad for that 80 and being salvaged that’s definitely not a good deal. But still my statement stands that don’t let a salvaged title scare you off

Fair point , except this salvage titled 80 is for sale for $18k. That's too much for a clean title car.

If you are only paying 3-4k for a salvage title rig, then by all means. However, but everyone on MUD knows paying the initial price is just the tip of the iceberg. Does it worth sinking additional 10-15k into your build knowing your rig has a salvage title?? Probably not...all depending on what you need the rig for IMO.

I spent 12k on mine and I think it was more than worth it. It has that much into it in mods alone and is very clean inside and out. I however plan on keeping this for a very very long time so resale value isn’t something I’m really worried about. I genuinely don’t think I could’ve found a better or more capable 80 in the condition mine is in for the price I paid for it.

I don’t want to hijack the thread, but I’m just saying don’t let a salvage title scare you off if it’s a solid reliable rig

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom