Lojack anyone? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just had another friend have his car ripped off. Urgh...

He had Lojack (dealer install) and they found the car in 6 hours and although the thieves had started to strip it, they hadn't done much damage.

Because a) he had his car stolen and b) it was recovered with Lojack and c) there's a sign up at my complex that a lot of cars have been stolen out of the parking lot lately I'm going to bite the bullet and install on my two drivers, the Land Cruiser and the P-car.

Here's the Q though:

Does anyone know where I can have it installed where I can watch the installation? Part of Lojack's deal is that even the owner doesn't know where the transmitter is located (so the theif can't hold you up for the information when carjacking you). I'm all for that BUT I am TOTALLY OPPOSED to having some monkey drilling in my cars or popping door panels to hide this thing. I WANT TO KNOW WHERE IT IS on MY cars and want to make sure it's installed to MY standards. The same reason I wrench on my own stuff.

The last thing I need is some 'technician' installing this thing on a car he knows nothing about, especially when I don't usually trust factory technicians with my cars...you get the idea.

I understand Locjack isn't supposed to tell the customer but if anyone knows of a good installer (or other option) please let me know. Feel free to PM me if you don't want to publicly implicate the parties in question!

Thanks!

i cant help ya with the installer part,but i can tell ya that they hide them well......
i bought my '96 last year and it was from NJ(so says carfax)and i found some personal items in the seat,and my gf contacted the previous owner(soccer mom,whoda thunkit?)and sent her the two items and she sent me back a package of all the little manuals that come with it(not much really)and some info pertaining to the aftremarket alarm/LOJAK that was installed on the vehicle....now i had since removed the aftermarket alarm and installed a factory system but i have not come across the LOJAK thingy unless it was in the little alarm control box and i dont think it is(i still have that)
still figure i will find it someday :cool:

doug

I had lojack installed in my '01 prelude when I bought it new...no signs that the door panels or anything had been disassembled. I have no clue where they put it, nor does the dealer (work was done by the lojack person at the dealership). When I get my 80, I plan to have lojack installed...just one less thing to worry about. I'd like to have it installed in my 86 runner, too, but $800 is too steep.

To preserve the integrity of the system I doubt they would tell you / let you watch (a thief could just do the same and know where they are located).

However, if you off rpad, you may want to mention that it better be above the water line :G. My guess would be that it's in the headliner. I've thought of installing a similar and cell-based version ($20/month).

As an interesting aside. If you have your amateur radio lic, you can arrange to track you vehicle 'for free' on the internet (certain radios hooked up to GPS unit) - you would need to leave it all on, but a blue top would handle the load without problem (and your wife can track your location!)

Cheers, Hugh

Has anyone had one installed on any car AFTER they bought it (meaning on a non-new car)?

Is it done at the dealership or at a Lojack location?

Hugh,
Do you have any more info or links for the amateur radio setup? Where I go cell phones don't work (or regular radio for that matter).
Bill

Hugh,
Do you have any more info or links for the amateur radio setup? Where I go cell phones don't work (or regular radio for that matter).
Bill

Bill, for just radio, depending where you are you would be able to use the VHF amateur radio freq to hit local repeaters which are located all over the world. A typical mobile rig would run ~50W and, depending on the local geography, would be useful for ~50 miles (then the repeater would retransmit). Many repeaters have an 'autopatch' which allow you to use your radio to patch into the regular phone system (over much greter distances than cell). Anything beyond this would require HF and would allow you to operate globally (including things like email).

The tracking is usually done with VHF (although I think you can do this with HF as well) and is called Automatic Position Reporting System (ARPS) and was developed by amateur operators (this is what the Garmin Rhino system is based on, but 100% better). Here is a link for more info http://web.usna.navy.mil/~bruninga/aprs.html

You need your amateur lic to operate this (35 question multiple choice but no morse code for vhf) see http://www.arrl.org/ for details.

With your travel, you should really do this, you would never be out of touch! Let me know if you have more questions

Cheers, Hugh

I added lojack to mine after buying it used. There is no way they will install it with you watching. Basically if you don't have faith in their install then go without.

BTW, mine was submerged and I know for a fact that it still works :flipoff2:

Landpimp is way experienced with them. I think his gal is like a distributor or something.

Send him an email.

TB

Turbo, I believe that is the case. If Pimp doesn't reply to this PM him as his chickiepoo deals with Lojack.

To my understanding, the Lojack thing is the size of a pencil eraser, so it's no surprise that it's difficult to find. Any car dealer should be able to have it installed. Mine cost $800 in LA in '01.

No more LoJack for me...I don’t like all the secrets.

To comply with the warranty you need to have your system inspected ($$) if:
Been in an accident
Installed additional electric equipment
Stored for more then a month
Battery problems

They will not tell where it is located even if you want to remove it! - Bring it in and we will remove it ($$)

It is tied into the electrical system with battery back up. Must be inspected ($$) every 2 years.

It is my feeling they need to find your vehicle fast because like your cell or GPS it will not work in a metal building or basement. They will not verify this though.

Posting a warning "LoJack equipped" does not void warranty

It is larger then a pencil eraser the manual states the size of a "chalkboard eraser"- Still cant find the F'n thing

They will not even tell you if its working - Bring it in for a inspection ($$) and we will test it

I went with my own theft deterrent - I want to know what is going on with my vehicle.

Fawk LoJAck

I don't like the fact that you can now be tracked by whomever "buys" the information. Sounds scarey to me. I do like the fact that they can find your car quick, but i think too many negatives make it a no-go for me.

I've been thinking about this also. My current questions are...

-how much $ up front and how much per mo. $800 seems a bit high.
-do the insurance companies discounts amount to anything?
-does lojack have any competitors?

wd

turbocruiser said:
Whoa, is this true? Is LoJack selling tracking info? Seems like a violation of privacy. Also seems like a good way to deter customers before you even get the chance to deter crime!

Could not find any info in the manual regarding the violation of privacy issue. Now more than ever I want to find it and disable.

whodat said:

wd

On Star is the only competitor I know of.

Also interesting LoJack does not work in all the counties of your state. As of the printing of my manual LoJack was only available in 20 states. So you could be screwed if your junk was taken in an uncovered area. The manual gives notice that the states that are covered are done with a 5 year contract and there is no guarantee that the police will renew.

A bit of misinformation in this thread. The Lojack corporation does no tracking at all.

When a vehicle is reported stolen, the vin information is matched to records of vehicles equipped with Lojack. If there is a match, then signals are sent from ground based transmitters to activate the transmitter in the stolen vehicle. The transmitter in the stolen vehicle, upon recieving the signal from the ground based transmitter, then begins transmitting itself. It is then up to police, equipped, at Lojack's expense, to use radio tracking equipment to locate the stolen vehicle.

Rich said:
A bit of misinformation in this thread. The Lojack corporation does no tracking at all.

When a vehicle is reported stolen, the vin information is matched to records of vehicles equipped with Lojack. If there is a match, then signals are sent from ground based transmitters to activate the transmitter in the stolen vehicle. The transmitter in the stolen vehicle, upon recieving the signal from the ground based transmitter, then begins transmitting itself. It is then up to police, equipped, at Lojack's expense, to use radio tracking equipment to locate the stolen vehicle.

You right... and you have option where do you want to hide the chip...also you gotta becarefull to the guy who install the Lo-Jack hopefully he doesnt have connection/cooperate with the bad guy.Otherwise its useless you had the Lo-Jack if they found the the chip easily.Choose the hardest spot or place that most people unthink of..like mine inside the panel lower rear hatch PITA to get in there...welcome nightmare :flipoff2: :eek: :doh:

whodat said:

wd

1) I had to pay $800 in one pop., no monthly service fees or anything like that aftwards.
2) Mine (Allstate) didn't give any discount.
3) not sure, at least if you buy a non-GM car.

I bought it for the piece of mind (was living in LA at that time in an apt). Best thing you can do at home is park your car in a garage so it's out of sight. I work in a dumpy part of town, but the company has armed guards patrolling the parking lot all day.

So this is a complte alarm system I assume? If there's an aftermarket alarm already in place, does the LoJack have to replace this system completely?

Also, I'd like to hear more about the "cell" version. I assume this is basically a cell phone with a built in GPS that the driver would hide somewhere with the ringer off? Ofcourse, the cell phone would be connected to a constant hot source for always on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom