Locking hubs - air lockers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Do I need to lock the hubs if I engage the front air lockers after putting it in 4H or 4L? I have always manually locked the hubs out of habit but never questioned it.

Stock front axle except with air lockers and 4.56 gears.

You only need to lock them if you want to be in actual 4 wheel drive. No lock, still in two wheel drive.

You don’t need the air locker to be in 4wd. You don’t need the air locker unless you get stuck or just before you get stuck. Better to engage the rear one first and only use the front when you really need it.

The order of increasing capability:
4hi (lock the front hubs and remain locked until you go back to 2hi)
4lo
Rear locker
Front locker

@martymart yes, they are doing different things and a diff lock doesn't replace the role of the locking hubs.

Martymart, please listen to this advice, especially that from MOTOV8R. Your front hubs need to be locked for any power to reach your front wheels when you shift into 4 high or 4 low. You should never use the front locker unless absolutely necessary for traction in a difficult situation; doing so will increase steering effort hugely. Lockers, front or rear, should only be employed when needed and for as short a distance as possible. They put stress on the drivetrain and negatively affect tire wear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom