Lockers not oem 100 Series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all,

Ok here we go… don’t want to raise hairs on guys backs.

I am looking for Lockers to install on my 100 Series.

I do not want issues with them. I have installed many lockers Detroit’s and many ring and pinions over the years. Have all the equipment to press bearings, measure back lash , crush the sleeve ect.

Now lockers …

If OX made lockers with cable actuated fork e gauge inside dif and remote air or electric or push pull handle I would be happiest. They don’t I have found.

Now e lock or air lock. Who …

Arb has name and dealer support.. they are the most complex as to air system. Piston seal, in dif the oring / seal retainer with copper like to outside case , then plumbing to the compressor.

E locker , smaller gears , electric magnet that tabs have broken in the past, and need up to 1/4 -1/2 tire rotation to lock in. If under no load it can unlock backing up and have to re lock.. not as heavy built and x 2 same cost as ARB and no compressor for tires. E lock simple to install Vrs ArB.

Another little Aus company bridge the gap, between ARB and OX

TJM Pro Locker. Not as many dealers, 15 years about here in the states , cost nearly what ARB does, however they use an air actuator that mounts on a bracket attached to the carrier bolts and a smaller fork to slide Engage and disengage the locker via air . No spinning seals, no wear orings from daily driving, just the air actuator itsself.
Strength looks good, heavy axle / pinion gears ans x shaft internals.

No reliability is my thing. My driving is 95 hi way miles, and when I decide to have the lockers I want them to work!

If by chance front locker actuator was to fail / leak on TJM, remove cover and change actuator, cover back and on the road again. Arb no so much. Axles have to come out, unload the carrier to address orings , or piston seal. Given the copper line isn’t the leak on either.

The rear, 3rd member would have to come out, take loose brake lines, and slide axles out … driveline and remove the chunk. To gain access to the air system in either ARB or TJM.

Now user experiences … yeah I have my ARBs 10 years no issues .. ok I know others that haven’t been so lucky. I mean physical breakage of either brand .. in the trail and have it break! Or no engage properly and require messing with the dif itself not the airlines exterior. Some issue inside the dif requiring removal.

I am all ears !

A few threads floating around with guys arguing/discussing this...

Seems to distill down to Air vs E

If I had no financial considerations, I'd get two Harrops and hook em up to a 80 Series Magic Dial
and call her done. I don't think I'd even re-gear as 4.30's with 33.5" tires is fine.

I've always considered the ARB Air Locker's air lines and junctions somewhat under-engineered
and prone to leaking/failing to engage.

A few threads floating around with guys arguing/discussing this...

Seems to distill down to Air vs E

If I had no financial considerations, I'd get two Harrops and hook em up to a 80 Series Magic Dial
and call her done. I don't think I'd even re-gear as 4.30's with 33.5" tires is fine.

I've always considered the ARB Air Locker's air lines and junctions somewhat under-engineered
and prone to leaking/failing to engage.
Most likely e locker would serve the need, I will not wheel this as hard as I did my toya truck. I can see being on 3 wheels with the IFS tho. The weight of the truck is what concerns me off road and take out axles or difs.

I am doing under drive kit, low gear low range, and part time 4x2 to strengthen the drive train. Get the 2 pinion from dif out of there. With crawl gears my truck with auto I could easy finesse it and not power through it .. And never broke wheeling.

This is a heavy truck tho, 33 inch tires is my limit to keep it where it will clear my garages. The under drive and low range gears should help the crawl, or I hope.

I saw a comparison between the elocker and the tjm .. wow the e lock is a lot smaller carrier, smaller axle gears, 4 pinion x is not as good, side bearing small socket all head screws I wasn’t impressed. Even the internal locking ring was small.

So for the money cost A Vrs B hum … I like the heavier dif, loose the simple install tho.

Do the e lockers break, don’t know. But if you know Toyota V6 housing 8 inch Vrs 4cltinder 8 inch difs it was that kind of comparison to me for as the heavy duty built between them.

If the E lock was 750-800 each yeah maybe then… I could justify it. Same cost, but IMO lower strength build I have a hard time.

Just looking purely on build.

Tex

Yeah, I can't speak to that, I have no time invested in examining the TJM offering. But getting the 2-pinion diff replaced in the front is my biggest goal. I feel like any carrier will be 10X better than that.

Yeah, I can't speak to that, I have no time invested in examining the TJM offering. But getting the 2-pinion diff replaced in the front is my biggest goal. I feel like any carrier will be 10X better than that.
Exactly!

I kinda wished in some part this was straight front axle, I prefer them. The 80 is a sexy and looks rugged. If a v8 in an 80 or 105 with straight front axle I would be oh so happy.

There is Aussie guy doing a comparison between E locker and tjm tear down side by side.
Now he was the designer of the tjm locker before tmj bought it. He isn’t happy with some of the changes of his design too.

Exactly!

I kinda wished in some part this was straight front axle, I prefer them. The 80 is a sexy and looks rugged. If a v8 in an 80 or 105 with straight front axle I would be oh so happy.

No doubt...best parts of 100 Series with 80 solid axle...just a more modern and comfortable 80 with a v8
You can SAS or import a 105 :)

No doubt...best parts of 100 Series with 80 solid axle...just a more modern and comfortable 80 with a v8
You can SAS or import a 105 :)
I might do a SAS I am sure guys have done it .

I have don’t it myself on my 87 to 85 … straight front axle.

Just research … And donar axle I bet

I might do a SAS I am sure guys have done it .

I have don’t it myself on my 87 to 85 … straight front axle.

Just research … And donar axle I bet
As a yota guy frowning up. All I could ouch myself to afford was the SR5 pickup, and Runner. I always wanted a 80 series Land Cruiser.

I have a Harrrop (owned by Eaton) front locker with the LSD rear. I've had no issues with the locker using it like this:

1) Proactively engage it on mud-covered hills (red clay) and when in deep mud and river crossings. I just slow down to a near stop, hit the button to engage and gently move forward.

2) Disengagement is usually done at a slow crawl speed. I just let off of the accelerator, give it some slack and it disengages. I have not found a need to move in reverse to disengage.

3) I have destroyed a fairly new OEM outer CV axle from rough wheeling without damaging the eLocker.

4) Running the front locker when I'm crossing a river with a current that I can feel pushing me downriver adds an additional level of control.

5) I have terrible luck with air lines. No interest in adding another failure point in a system that I depend on in deep water and mud.

1691768541102.png

1691768938515.png

Last edited:
...3) I have destroyed a fairly new OEM outer CV axle from rough wheeling without damaging the eLocker...

This is all you really need to know. An OEM CV axle being the weak link in the chain? That's all that should ever be asked of it then a little more.

This is all you really need to know. An OEM CV axle being the weak link in the chain? That's all that should ever be asked of it then a little more.

Yep. I think of it like a fusible link that blows when I get too ruff.

1691769860184.png

I have a Harrrop (owned by Eaton) front locker with the LSR rear. I've had no issues with the locker using it like this:

1) Proactively engage it on mud covered hills (red clay) and when in deep mud and river crossings. I just slow down to a near stop, hit the button to engage and gently move forward.

2) Disengagement is usually done at a slow crawl speed. I just let off of the accellerator, give it some slack and it disengages. I have not found a need to move in reverse to disengage.

3) I have destroyed a fairly new OEM outer CV axle from rough wheeling without damaging the eLocker.

4) Running the front locker when I'm crossing a river with a current that I can feel pushing me downriver adds an additional level of control.

5) I have terrible luck with air lines. No interest in adding another pailure point in a system that depend on in deep water and mud.

View attachment 3398887

View attachment 3398889
Sweet … yeah deep..

I would not be doing that… most likely… kewl you are tho!

They do offer simplified installation for sure. Less point of failed points.

Once I saw the difference in the built it out a pause in my step. Now I am not 37, 5:29 geared, and rock
Crawling like I use too. But the heavy truck concerns me .. Abs it appears you found the next week link down the chain … cv

My part time kit I hope allows to disengage 4x4, disconnect Hubs and drive it out. If not too deep
Into needing 4x4

Carrying a spare Cv axle .. is beyond the liability issues I want. I cut the IFS out after breaking two and not break three… if I where to keep
Breaking them.

Luckily I never broke my yota truck 80k miles and 10 Moab trips, 3 Rubicon, and 5 Colorado trips over 23 years. The crawl capability, extra low fuel transfer case with automatic I felt helped. Allowed a lot of finess, Not brute force…

Dif problems 750 1000 miles from
Home is not fun at all.

But nice … rig there … wow deep
Water crossing

I forgot to mention, oops my bad

The locker compared was the rear ! Not the front. 9.5 inch not 8 inch

I under stand the 9.5 rear will fit but carrier is not larger on the 9.5 … on the e locker… that the comparison I was looking at.

I am doing both front and rear … the rear appeared to not as heavy duty …

8 inch front to 8 inch front E lock
To TJM I don’t know .

Rear is a noticeable difference

I forgot to mention, oops my bad

The locker compared was the rear ! Not the front. 9.5 inch not 8 inch

I under stand the 9.5 rear will fit but carrier is not larger on the 9.5 … on the e locker… that the comparison I was looking at.

I am doing both front and rear … the rear appeared to not as heavy duty …

8 inch front to 8 inch front E lock
To TJM I don’t know .

Rear is a noticeable difference
Just contrast yota rear Pro Locker / Elocker compared…

Carrier is smaller for the larger ring gear
Pinion 4 cross shaft one peice vrs 3 peice
Lock ring to axle gear huge size difference between the two.

Removable bearing housing in the e locker held be small bolts … hex head screws.

Now , back Of my cruiser… that small dif would work, agreed by not heavy duty for the rear when compared if you look at the design.

My two cents…

Now the front 8 inch maybe he about the same. But they neck down the e locker to smaller components for the 9.5 Toyota. That. Am not crazy about IMO .

IMG_3332.png

IMG_3334.png

IMG_3337.png

IMG_3338.png

IMG_3341.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom