locker actuator rebuild (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My rear wasn’t engaging, opened it up today, what a mess!

82C75DF4-C6B9-4BB1-A899-59B25566BC39.jpeg

3009E830-2D53-45E0-8140-E4050859D132.jpeg

I will see what/if I can save anything.
I think all but one bolt snapped straight off even after being left in oil, welding nuts onto the broken studs didn’t work either. Center punched and drilled out the best I could, will use a bolt and nut to secure.

tomorrow’s job is to get the big pin free, it’s soaking away currently.
Order sealant and glue for the seals and magnets and get it to a point where I can bench test it.

who ever thought about mixing Aluminium and steel is a devil

For everyone who's worried about opening theirs up I think the point of the kit is not so much to be able to rebuild a failed locker (which it helps with) but more to do preventative maintenance and keep them from getting so bad. Having just done mine I'd highly recommend anyone with good functioning lockers that have never had the seals replaced put this on their to do list. Mine worked fine but I could tell when I opened them up that the seals were starting to let water and dirt in. With seals replaced, bolts cleaned up with new anti seize, and new grease through out I feel better about these going the distance. It seems daunting but once you've done it once It's actually not that hard. My plan is to PM these about every 5 years or so just to keep them at peak operating condition.

I just revisited my kits and have added a shaft seal that I was missing in the 8" kit and both kits now will be coming with a tube of super lube.

Are you talking about the little seal on the shaft inside that keeps oil from the front diff from entering the actuator? Was the only one I had to reuse when I did mine. Looked like some special type of O-Ring. Probably fine for now but will be a good addition to the kit and something I can replace next time.

Where's the link to buy the new and improved rebuild kits? I'm interested.
Thanks.

Where's the link to buy the new and improved rebuild kits? I'm interested.
Thanks.

Same here! Can we get any parts for these?

My motor windings seem to be bad, smoking when I bench test it just now.
I seem to have also messed up the plastic teeth in the large wheel.
Motor cover that the magnets are housed inwould also be a good thing to replace on mine

Same here! Can we get any parts for these?

My motor windings seem to be bad, smoking when I bench test it just now.
I seem to have also messed up the plastic teeth in the large wheel.
Motor cover that the magnets are housed inwould also be a good thing to replace on mine
time for a new actuator. you can get new Aisins on Rock Auto for a good price.

Someone in this thread had their motor rewound. I'd imagine an electric motor repair shop might be able to help you there. They might be able to source the magnets too.

For the plastic wheel make friends with someone with a 3d printer or maybe put out a want to buy for non-functioning lockers on the classified here. Get a couple of them and you might be able to replace your wheel and your magnets too.

Someone in this thread had their motor rewound. I'd imagine an electric motor repair shop might be able to help you there. They might be able to source the magnets too.

For the plastic wheel make friends with someone with a 3d printer or maybe put out a want to buy for non-functioning lockers on the classified here. Get a couple of them and you might be able to replace your wheel and your magnets too.
Yer I think the windings have gone, so would need to be rewound, I would have a go at it.

thinking about electric actuators currently, much like the air actuators that have already been developed.

I need to do more research but I believe the only reason for the clocking and the complicated design is to limit the throw of the output shaft to the fork. Which from unlocked to locked is about 1/2 inch (2” 3/8 to 2” 7/8) - so an actuator that has enough force and a 1/2 inch throw would potentially do the job and be a lot more serviceable/cheaper to replace.

I picked up a locking rear end from the JY for $400 for my Tacoma. I stumbled across this thread and figured I’d order the rebuild kit and install before putting it on the truck. I was definitely a bit worried with what I would find inside after seeing some of the photos on here, finally pulled the actuator apart today and was pleased to find that it looked basically brand new inside minus some dirt which I may have pushed into it while trying to get it apart. I was able to get the Phillips head screws out easily aswell by cleaning the dirt out of the head and using a JIS screwdriver.

reviving old thread. Was in the process of removing the 3rd member to replace the gasket. The PO had redone the front diff and some point and used fipg instead of an OEM gasket. There was a little leak so while I’m redoing the knuckles it was the best time to fix it.
At this time I thought he’ll let’s take a look inside the actuator. I see all these pictures of crud in a lot of yours so I wanted to see if mine has the same. Upon opening I noticed that one of the brushes that rides the shaft of the armature had a crack in it. So I glued it back together. Seems to keep it together but instead of just closing it up I’ve decided to reach out to you guys to see if there’s a replacement for the brushes. You can see in the picture where the crack is. Oh and inside the actuator looks new. No corrosion. Wish I never opened it. 😂

837A3159-E73F-4F64-9323-E511EDA7806C.jpeg

for those who happen upon this old thread. I started using a propane or map gas torch to heat the of the aluminum housing where the screws reside. This expands the aluminum braking the bond with the screw and they come out real easy. It doesn't take a lot of heat so hold the torch in place for a couple of seconds, try with the screw driver and then the torch for a few seconds and then the screw driver until they back out.

reviving old thread. Was in the process of removing the 3rd member to replace the gasket. The PO had redone the front diff and some point and used fipg instead of an OEM gasket. There was a little leak so while I’m redoing the knuckles it was the best time to fix it.
At this time I thought he’ll let’s take a look inside the actuator. I see all these pictures of crud in a lot of yours so I wanted to see if mine has the same. Upon opening I noticed that one of the brushes that rides the shaft of the armature had a crack in it. So I glued it back together. Seems to keep it together but instead of just closing it up I’ve decided to reach out to you guys to see if there’s a replacement for the brushes. You can see in the picture where the crack is. Oh and inside the actuator looks new. No corrosion. Wish I never opened it. 😂

View attachment 3015701

I am not aware of replacement brushes being available but a shop that rebuild electric motors might be able to source something. I just had a 100 series actuator apart and it uses the same size brushes so might be some sort of standard size. In fact the brushes on it look good but the housing is broken. If you wanted the brushes PM me and we can work something out.

I need to do this. My rear locker seems to actually engage but the dash light flashes for a few min before going solid (even though the locker is engaged)

I am not aware of replacement brushes being available but a shop that rebuild electric motors might be able to source something. I just had a 100 series actuator apart and it uses the same size brushes so might be some sort of standard size. In fact the brushes on it look good but the housing is broken. If you wanted the brushes PM me and we can work something out.
I appreciate that. I brought out the ruler and went to the internet to search. The brush comes in at 4mm x 4mm. Not sure if the original length due to mine having some wear in them and carbon is soft. Mine at the moment is 7mm This one on Amazon is 4mm x 4mm x 10 mm. If I have to I’ll shave a little off the front with a razor blade. If these don’t work I’ll hit you up.

97A2F079-2507-47DC-A885-57B8ADCCAA70.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom