locker actuator rebuild

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Checked with a compass and had NSNS. Took off my two magnets, swapped and now working. Yah!
Will reassemble and put back on truck
 
All good. Had to partly put on locker and bolt in shift fork 1st (as not able to get actuator to correct length as motor 'chopy'). Was then able to apply power and get it pulled in and able to bolt up ok.
 
IMG_2834.webp
IMG_2833.webp
IMG_2838.webp

Opened up my center diff actuator since it failed the tests in the FSM. Definitely had some dirt and corrosion. I’ll be disassembling the motor side soon as well. But kind of stuck right now as I can’t get this gear removed. Maybe I’m not pulling on it hard enough? Any guidance would be appreciated!
 
Try to remove the worm gear first.
 
Try to remove the worm gear first.
It moves, but not enough to get it out. I went ahead and removed the small gear on the other side of the actuator as well as the snap ring that holds it in place, to see if it does anything. Maybe I’ll take a rubber mallet to it. Haha
 
You'll have to turn the worm (the long, small diameter gerar) to remove it. I haven't personally rebuilit these, so I'm spitballing here, but you may need to remove the motor to free up both ends of the worm.
 
You'll have to turn the worm (the long, small diameter gerar) to remove it. I haven't personally rebuilit these, so I'm spitballing here, but you may need to remove the motor to free up both ends of the worm.
Thanks! I’ll give that a go. Can’t hurt
 
Great information here, wanted to share that my son made a design you can print on your filament printer to help align the magnets and make sure they are in the right position .. if anyone’s interested, I can send you the file.

IMG_6775.webp


IMG_6774.webp
 
Great information here, wanted to share that my son made a design you can print on your filament printer to help align the magnets and make sure they are in the right position .. if anyone’s interested, I can send you the file.

View attachment 3858186

View attachment 3858188

That is really neat. I will have to remember this post if I need it in the future...😉
 
fyi.... just to be clear, you put similar magnets on opposite sides... that is very well explained on this thread. I used two part epoxy and since the magnets like metal.... they are attracted to the metal so will provide the clamping power to the sides, however, since every other one is opposing, they like to come together ,so that is what this jig does, keep them spaced apart.

So far, I have rebuilt two fronts at 100% success. and rebuilt two rears an ZERO success..... batting 500.. I will quote the great legend, from the movie Major League, the big boy, Pedro....

Bats, they are sick. I cannot hit curveball. Straightball I hit it very much. Curveball, bats are afraid. I ask Jobu to come, take fear from bats. I offer him cigar, rum. He will come.

.... with that I will wait for something.
 
About to rebuild my rear actuator. Wish I had not seen your post. If you are 0 for 2 on rears, I might be in trouble. Because you are an excellent mechanic. New is $1,114 from Molle with discount.

Your new place in CO looks like it's going to be freaking awesome! Take care.
 
Last edited:
Im also having trouble with my rear actuator, any tips?, it looks like it moves when i put a battery to it but then it only moves one way and then not again
 
About to rebuild my rear actuator. Wish I had not see your post. If you are 0 for 2 on rears, I might be in trouble. New is $1,114 from Molle with discount.

Your new place looks like it's be freaking awesome! Take care.
Rock auto Aisin brand 481.00
 
Great information here, wanted to share that my son made a design you can print on your filament printer to help align the magnets and make sure they are in the right position .. if anyone’s interested, I can send you the file.

View attachment 3858186

View attachment 3858188
I would definitely find that file useful. Not planning on doing the job immediately, but they're getting glitchy, so it's going to happen eventually.
 
Back
Top Bottom