Lift options: Tapered Spring or not (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So, I've added some weight to my rig with drawers, fridge, water tank, winch, sliders and RTT. The OEM springs were already sitting low due to sagging, now it's really low.

I'm currently running 33's with 4.56 gears and I don't want to go to 35 or 37 inch tires, thus I'm looking for about a 2" lift which will carry the weight better, max 3" lift as I think the 33s will look ridiculous any higher and I'll run into driveline issues and need adjustable panhard bars and links past that. I tow a 2200 lb trailer and do Moab rock trails and the passes around Ouray a lot.

Yes I've gone through the suspension thread many times, and many other threads on shocks and springs.

I was leaning towards the Slinky 50mm HD kit here, as it's a 2 inch lift with better weight capacity, but there doesn't seem to be much information on it. Can't even find a price online.

Looking at other tapered springs I found the Dobinson VTs:
C97-146VT 2.5" Heavy Load 595/605 13.5 18/13.5 140/220/290
C97-147VT 2.5" Heavy Load 535/545 10.5 19/14.25 160/215/285

Thing about tapered springs though is that they're tapered which is supposed to give you more droop, but I've hear they can make the rig feel tippy, and it's already tippy with the RTT which is 138 lbs up top. I'm worried now it will be more tippy with the tapered springs.

Additionally, Dobinson recommends their 4" lift springs for these springs
4" lift shocks
GS45-912 front 15.35" - 26.37" (Rec BS .5")
GS59-687 rear 16.02" - 26.77" (Rec BS 2")

I've also read the Dobinson springs don't have as much compression as the OMEs which adds to the tippiness.

Any suggestions? I'm tempted to just go with an OME linear rate spring and L shocks.

Last edited:
As it sits now:
image.jpg

Not to complicate matters, but have you considered Tourflex?

I switched from OME (which were squatting) to Tourflex 50mm extra heavy (700+ lbs I believe) dual rate tapered wire progressives... I like how they carry the truck--good control of body roll, gobs of downtravel, and well mannered on the small stuff for an extra heavy spring--the stiffness doesn't engage until you really need it to.

Sounds like the Slinky's, a quick google search doesn't show much information or anywhere in the US to order them from. They are not on Trail Taylor's site either.

I am running the C97-147VT rear springs on my rig. TJM 2" springs up front. For my use case, the Dobinsons are too much spring. I'm about 100 lbs heavier in the rear than stock normally. This morning I loaded up 10 50# bags in the rear (total of 500lbs), and the truck leveled off perfectly. The rear also road much better, as unladen it tends to act like a leaf sprung truck and hop on expansion joints. So if you have the weight, they are a great spring.

Adding up my weight, I have:
15 gallon water tank: 120 lbs
Sliders: 68 lbs
Roof top tent: 138 lbs
Awning: Maybe 35lbs.
Roof Rack: Maybe 15 lbs.
Fridge with food, drawers, recovery equipment: 100-200lbs?
Kids and car seats: Maybe 70 lbs.
Me and my wife: 280lbs

Total: 800 to 900 lbs loaded
Plus up front weight, Winch and winch plate.
I don't daily drive this vehicle any more, as the city gas mileage is terrible, and my beater is an E36 M3, the FZJ generally stays mostly loaded for trips, in the driveway until the weekend when we either go somewhere, or I work on the cars.

I was going to go with the C97-147VT, but then I saw this thread:
Help returning 2.5” suspension to stock.

All he had was a roof rack and a rear bumper, and his rear was much lower than his front end. Granted, he had no weight up front and a heavy rear bumper, which is 281 lbs. I ended up ordering the 3" Heavy Springs. I figure, if I need more weight, I'll add a rear bumper.

Last edited:
Have you no plans to add heavy duty bumpers? I’d buy springs with more weight carrying capacity than your current calculations indicate. And based on your use, there is no need for you to run a progressive or tapered spring. You are correct, the tapered design springs allow more body roll. It’s not ridiculous but it’s there. It’s fun to talk about suspension here but going to the source to ask these questions is going to get you closer to what you need.

Slinky is sold in the US exclusively by Mill Creek Overland. Their stock is low for some parts, but parts should be about 2 months out? Add a longer than normal wait to clear customs. Pricing is here...

I was going to go with the C97-147VT, but then I saw this thread:
Help returning 2.5” suspension to stock.

I bought his springs. I’m currently on Ironman’s 2“ springs and I measure 22 up front and 23.25 in the rear with no added weight. WK Sliders have been ordered and front (plus winch) and rear bumpers are in my future. I’d like to be a hair under 23 up front and a little higher in the rear without gear. I usually travel light so we will see. My plan was to add the rear bumper and see what that does to my current stance, then add the front goodies. These springs are in my back pocket once I get farther along with my truck. I like the idea of long travel and droop. If she swims a little, I’m ok as she’s big mamma anyway you look at it.

I went from OMEs to the Dob tapered coils and experienced no feeling of tippiness. In fact, the ride all around is a huge step up IMO, both loaded and unloaded, on road and offroad. I would buy again in a heartbeat. As for the shocks, my 0"-3" icon smooth body shocks were about 1.5"-2" too short to take advantage of the new coils. When i replace the icon's, I'll go with a longer shock.

FWIW, I originally wanted the slinky coils but I found them difficult to find in stock and poor customer service (endless horizon outfitters, at the time). It was an infinitely better customer and order experience (@crikeymike ) for the dobs.

So I ordered the 2.5" front tapered and ended up with the 3" Heavy rears. Only difference between the 2" and 3" rears is the wire is thicker resulting in a higher rate.

I may just end up ordering a 4x4 labs rear bumper if it's too high in the back. I was up at Little Bookcliffs Wildhorse area and stepping off some of the boulders and accidentally backing into rock shelves, I might need a proper bumper. I currently have my hitch welded between the frame rails and was planning on adding a DIY swingout, but I'm not sure.

It's good to hear some positive experiences with the tapered springs. From what I've read so far, shocks make a big difference in how tippy it feels. I got a clearance deal on the 26" OME BP51 fronts.

I have not bought rear shocks yet. I bought the 26” bp51 front shocks as they were on clearance on summits site for $300.

Exploring before the snowstorm hit:
5DAED94B-5846-48ED-885A-C35753B37BA8.jpeg

So I went with:
C97-146VT 2.5" Heavy Load 595/605 13.5 18/13.5 140/220/290
and
3" rear C97-145VT (The 4" lift shock suit the 3" Tapered rear coil

It's high right now without heavy bumpers and my front drive shaft isn't liking it, but overall these are great springs.

Things people should be aware of:
1) You have to upgrade the rear sway bar, otherwise it's really tippy. Without a big rear swaybar, it leans, and then it leans some more on turns, and just really doesn't feel stable driving around. This is a requirement for driving on the street with these springs. I was thinking of selling them until I upgraded the rear swaybar, now I'm sold on them.
2) Don't be a fool and wait on the caster adjustment. This thing had death wobble over 45 mph, and drove terribly until I fixed the caster. I ended up needing 3.5 degrees.
3) I really recommend an adjustable shock to go with these. Dialing in the correct damping for these springs has taken me some time with the BP-51s, I can't imagine having a non adjustable shock with these.
4) I'm using the 4" long travel BP-51s, you could easily go with a longer front shock, some people go with the 6" dobinsons. However, I don't see the need as this setup is extremely capable.

Driving impressions:
1) I did Fins and things in Moab, back to back with this setup and stock suspension about 1 month apart. I was close to crapping my pants on the stock suspension, but with this setup, it was cake, super easy.
2) Plush ride on graded fireroads, feels like I'm aired down already.
3) Has me pushing the truck pretty hard now as it rides so nice and is really capable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom