Wanted Lifer Vehicle - FJ80 (or LX450) Clean and Solid! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Year
Vehicle Model
  1. 80 Series
Mileage
Hey Guys - I've been on the hunt for a lifer vehicle. My dad's had a '94 FJ80 since I was a kid, and I'm looking for one of my own.

This is going to be my 1-vehicle. So wiling to prioritize quality > over price. Tried with a couple eBay sellers that turned out to be rusty duds. So now turning to the community. Is there any truly incredible, clean FJ80's someone's considering putting up for adoption?

What I'm lookin' for:
- FJ80 or LX450, '95-'97
- Lockers, No Rust, Mechanically sound, and Clean
-
Moderate / Low mileage (<200k mi or with a recent rebuild).
- Either with modest mod (lift, wheels, etc) or stock --> either's OK.
- Willing to ship from *anywhere* in the USA or Canada.

... and yes, I realize these specs run $15-25k. Any ideas welcome! Thanks guys.
- Spencer

Last edited:
There has been a number of them come up on bringatrailer.com here lately. Search function is your friend there.

How did the Cars&Bids vehicle turn out?? Was following auction closely.

Ah I was waiting for someone to ask that! The transaction hit a couple road bumps. Seller wasn't willing to do a pre-purchase inspection without being paid by wire. Then I did a little digging, and turns out that VIN was a lifetime NY State car, was sold this February for $4500, and with visible rust (hood and trailer hitch):

2_prior_auction_front.jpeg

9564182e-20d8-4dc8-95e7-85f8980229c6.jpeg

Zoomed in:
2_visible_hood_rust.png
2_visible_frame_rust.png

Of course, in the listing everything looked beautiful and totally rust-free. But I get the sense that the undercoating could be hiding more insidious rust. So TLDR, I think we're probably going to shake hands & part ways.

Curious what you guys think? Starting to get a lil' non-buyer's remorse, but feel it's probably the right call with the undisclosed rust.

Thanks,
- Spence

Did you see this one in Houston? Couple red flags, but it looks great in photos.

Yes, the rebuild and the broken English description are the two that stand out to me.

Dont think twice about leaving the truck from NY. Im in AZ and NY and buy any older vehicle from out west. Would never consider a lifetime NY truck. Why save a few thousand and deal with a lifetime of rust. Im sure anyone one on here that has had to wrench on a cruiser with rust would gladly fork over a couple thousand more for a rust free rig where bolts come out clean. I have my 100 in NY and its getting eaten alive already. It came from AZ and cant imagine how it will look in another 10 years.

Dont think twice about leaving the truck from NY. Im in AZ and NY and buy any older vehicle from out west. Would never consider a lifetime NY truck. Why save a few thousand and deal with a lifetime of rust. Im sure anyone one on here that has had to wrench on a cruiser with rust would gladly fork over a couple thousand more for a rust free rig where bolts come out clean. I have my 100 in NY and its getting eaten alive already. It came from AZ and cant imagine how it will look in another 10 years.

Well put, Chris.

The struggle is real. As for New York? Don't single out NY. There are plenty of salty roads all over the Northeast....I live in VT and worked at a ski area for ten years. You wanna see salt? go to a ski area access road in the Northeast......Good luck to the OP keep looking for that Lifer 80!

Let me know if your still looking. I have a LX450, 136k miles, all original with new radiator and head gasket done. Zero rust and spotless interior. Black with tan interior. New alpine head unit and original head unit comes with sale. Will be posting up on BaT if no interest. Thanks for reading and PM me with any questions.

Let me know if your still looking. I have a LX450, 136k miles, all original with new radiator and head gasket done. Zero rust and spotless interior. Black with tan interior. New alpine head unit and original head unit comes with sale. Will be posting up on BaT if no interest. Thanks for reading and PM me with any questions.
Does it have lockers?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom