license plate mount...can i do this on a 80? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This is a picture from the LC museum of the Expedition 7 Troopie. The factory license plate light just unscrewed from the hatch. then they mounted it to the spare and ran wires. Really clean and simple. Anyone know if the 80 license plate light will unbolt in the same way? I need to wire up something because of the 4x4 labs bumper i installed. Feel free to show what you did to mount a light.

Or does anyone have a clue if you can source that OEM JDM plate assembly over here?

Reactions: jay
Probably could do it. May leave a few small holes open in the tailgate, but they are hidden by the overhang of the hatch.
Have you tried searching EBay or Amazon for license plate lights and/or brackets. Lots of LED stuff out there. Either way you have to fab up a way to hang it on the spare/studs. John

Hmm. Not sure the part number for one that says 4wd. But the license plate holder for a 2nd gen 4Runner is 75102-89119
Carrier_5.jpg

I found 2x3 "square U bolts". they fit perfectly around the swing out. i think i will fab up a simple bracket that mounts it to the swing out.

I originally started looking for the 4Runner one that just says "Toyota" but those are few and far between. The couple I did see for sale were yellowed or in less than good condition. I then found the 80 series jdm lamp assembly on eBay. It was brand new, but it didn't come with the bracket to hold the license plate. Then the lamp assembly is attached to some tabs I welded on.

For lights, I just pulled the lamp assembly off of the tailgate and unscrewed the lenses and took out the inner assembly. It all screwed right into this one without the need for any more pieces.

To wire it I just pulled the wire out of the tailgate, added more wire in and reconnected the factory plug in onto the end.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Last edited:
did you find the correct plugs some place or did you need to cut and splice the wires?

It's gone now.......

I took the simple lazzy way. I took a section of aluminum stock and moved the license plate 8" to the right. The OEM lamps light it up "well enough" It is visible from directly behind as long as my high lift is not mounted. I dont usually drive around with the high lift on. When i do mount it i might just put the plate in the 4x4 labs mount or just zip tie it some place.

The think i didnt like about the 4x4 labs mount was it put it on the ladder. When you climb the ladder the plate is in the way for me.

I took the simple lazzy way. I took a section of aluminum stock and moved the license plate 8" to the right. The OEM lamps light it up "well enough" It is visible from directly behind as long as my high lift is not mounted. I dont usually drive around with the high lift on. When i do mount it i might just put the plate in the 4x4 labs mount or just zip tie it some place.

The think i didnt like about the 4x4 labs mount was it put it on the ladder. When you climb the ladder the plate is in the way for me.

That's what I did 8 years ago. Still on there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom