lets see your dif armor (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
dif armor opinions needed

its time to beef up the axles and proect them, i need some ideas, i just took a huge gouge out of my diff cover over the weekend and decided to make some protection. i wanna see some pics of your armor:cheers:

UPDATE !!! need some opinions, what do you think of this skid plate for the front axle. i think ill do this for the front and btf for the rear

let me know what you think, thanks

PS of course it will be made of steel, i knew the smart asses would have fun with this if i didnt throw that in
skid plate.JPG

Last edited:
I do not have pics, but a suggestion for the type of steel to use. I used to sell this stuff, and it is really strong. It wears well, and yields a high tinsel strength, yet is formable and weldable (7018 or equivilent). Get some 400 BHN wear plate. You can find it here, www.manganal.com and check out the properties yourself. May even look into welding manganese straps in heavily abused areas, as it work-hardens (used in rock crushers). They are a West-coast distributor, but the parent company is located on the East-coast.

Nobody that I know is using this on a 4x4, but they should: it is used on all heavy equipment where strength and wear life is an issue.

I will be following this thread closely, as I am gearing up to do the same, among many other things.

hey noah, i have sen those, do hey have drain holes in the bottom of them. and how thick is it. looks good

camcruiser13 said:
its time to beef up the axles and proect them, i need some ideas, i just took a huge gouge out of my diff cover over the weekend and decided to make some protection. i wanna see some pics of your armor:cheers:
BTF makes some beefy stuff.

FJ40%20REAR%20DIFF%20COVER.jpg

we recently released our new BTF Toyota FJ40/55/60 Rear Kryptonite Differential Cover. We have been manufacturing diff covers and by many considered the inovater of the product line. All of our covers carry a no fine print warrenty. If you break it we will replace it. We have made thousands of diff covers and have never had one fail. BTF diff covers have been trail tested over and over around the world. The design is so good that many people have made copies of our product. One large catalog company actually bought our covers and made cast copies of them. So beware of any cast covers that look like our product. All off our covers are laser cut plate and welded right here at BTF. Our covers are manufactured from 1/4 inch thick plate on the shell on and 3/8 on the ring. All of our diff covers are shipped with the required hardward (where needed). All BTF covers are bead blasted and ready to be painted.

Check out the FJ cover on our site at:
http://www.bluetorchfab.com/oscomm/...products_id=557

Ive got his Tacoma 8.4" on order :grinpimp:

yota_diff.jpg

Personally, I prefer replacing the entire cover too...the stock thin cover isn't the best at sealing anyways, and the reinforcement ring I run now doesn't cut it either...plus, if you are denting the cover, odds are the bottom edge is plenty beat up, and due for being trashed anyways.

IMO, do the whole cover and be done with it.

camcruiser13 said:
hey noah, i have sen those, do hey have drain holes in the bottom of them. and how thick is it. looks good

the front I think is 3/16 or 1/2 inch pipe cap and the rear is a 1/2 thick rock ring mated to the stock cover and then mated to the rear cap I got from a guy here on the board, can't remember his name.

for the rear I would just go with the blue torch cover, reasonably $ and really nice. I ended up spending that much to make my own. They did not have it out when I fabed mine up.

If you go the route I did with the rear, remember to weld the inside lip of the diff cover as I was getting leakage from the internal space between the stock cover and the rock ring. It was a pia to weld after being impregneted with oil too, couldn't seem to get a real good weld, even after cleaning it. It is pretty much sealed now, I get a very slow drip but oh well.

Noah

1973Guppie said:
the front I think is 3/16 or 1/2 inch pipe cap and the rear is a 1/2 thick rock ring mated to the stock cover and then mated to the rear cap I got from a guy here on the board, can't remember his name.

for the rear I would just go with the blue torch cover, reasonably $ and really nice. I ended up spending that much to make my own. They did not have it out when I fabed mine up.

If you go the route I did with the rear, remember to weld the inside lip of the diff cover as I was getting leakage from the internal space between the stock cover and the rock ring. It was a pia to weld after being impregneted with oil too, couldn't seem to get a real good weld, even after cleaning it. It is pretty much sealed now, I get a very slow drip but oh well.

Noah
BEEEEEFY!

Has anyone made a slider to protect the bottom lip of the diff cover?? I want to armor the front and rear but also add a slider to help protect the seal and nuts on the rear diff. My problem is compounded by having to rotate the rear axle up from a previous project and now the cover catches on every rock.

Pictures appreciated

Yeah, I know its always good to protect your nuts.

got cope? said:
BTF makes some beefy stuff.

FJ40%20REAR%20DIFF%20COVER.jpg

Anyone Get one of these yet?? Or have one on order.. Looks Beef to me!
Just wondering if its as Plug and play as it looks.

another cool thing about the BTF one- which I hope to order next week, is the filler plug is higher to account for raised pinion on SOA. More oil in there now.

-Dustin

Update!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

heres what i got done last night i had a few hours to burn. whjat do you think so far?
skid 2.JPG

Last edited:
bandy rooster said:
neeeeed a better pic its hard to see...

hows that?

just has the front and bottom piece on it, do a little more tonight

Here's mine

I welded up some 5/8 round bar to a 1/4" rock ring.

JR
axle.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom