Let's chat about light bars. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If you’re not gonna spend the money on a good light then just buy the cheapest 40” led bar on Amazon. Get a combo but it wont matter much. The optics on those cheap bars are so bad they’re basically floods.

Mudgudgeon,

I agree that may help but there is another incurable factor limiting LED effectiveness. The frequency of their light output is higher, leading to more light diffraction in ordinary air with its humidity and dust. Longer lightwaves such as halogen go right through those microdroplets. Shorter (LED) lightwaves bounce around in the droplets. So LEDs tend to create a lot of close in dazzle in the air, which is light coming back at you, not going far down the road. Said another way, they have to create enormous output to overcome the loss going through the air to end up with anything downrange. In the rain and in the snow, it's really bad and I'm surprised the DOT has not gotten there s*** together and done some actual testing. Lazy gummint bastards. Try holding an LED flashlight outside tonight up at your eye level. You'll see a bunch of dust motes and microdroplets floating around in front of your eyes. That's the phenomenon. Do the same with an incandescent flashlight and you won't see those at all.

I have a full surround sound LED system on our camping Vanagon and its hard to beat the output/price/battery drain for close up lighting. But downrange they are still sub par unless the output is crazy high and then you have tremendous blowback limiting the actual function of forward lighting. A conundrum....
I thought this was BS, but for the record, I did some research.

Technically, it's true... high wavelength light scatters more easily (hence why the sky is blue). Practically speaking, though, the effect is almost nil for the distances, power outputs, and frequencies we are talking about.

In conclusion, @IdahoDoug is technically right, but it's negligible in practice. Even if it were a significant effect, you'd still be better off with a higher output LED spotlight than an equivalent power-consuming halogen, etc.

I thiink most of the disadvantage to cheap LEDs is in the reflector design.

I don't think LED light Bars will achieve the same long beams like old school spots and pencil beams

I think Baja's new laser lights might give the old school lights a run for their money. Can't wait to buy the knockoffs on Amazon.

sEyy5Dw.jpg

Rain would make everything appear red if this was true

REIGN IN BLOOOOOOD?

I think Baja's new laser lights might give the old school lights a run for their money. Can't wait to buy the knockoffs on Amazon.

sEyy5Dw.jpg

the old school lights could be running a marathon for the cost of those new suckers though, and we are dealers for BD. Can't even afford a set for "testing purposes".

I am using the OZ S4D 40 inch Single Row on my bowfin. The top of it is about 1/2" above the first rail. Really haven't aimed it, I think it needs to be pointed up a tad. But it looks built right into the front fairing of the bowfin.

Here it is at dusk returning from the end of Hatteras in October.

@Delta VS Give it a couple of years, they'll be obsolete and cheap, and there'll Chinese rip-offs, and another newer latest greatest iteration that you can't afford to test
oh for sure. just gotta have that new stuff though, right??

I've been looking at Black Oak light bars.

I plan on putting a 40" single row on my Bowfin Cruisers Rack.

Also plan on putting a 10" on a Slee Shortbus.

They come is Flood, Spot, and Combo.

Also in 3W and 5W. What would you suggest getting?

so any thoughts on the original question?

i run the 50” Dual BAJAdesigns up top and LP9 on the bumper and a squadron facing the back.. best light imho, I also bought the lasers but never installed it due to myself not needing anymore light.

this thing is like a drug, an expensive drug.. so addicting that all my cars and even the tractor mower got some!! Lol

221F605F-2111-4DCE-B8EA-E6808034AEF6.jpeg
B444D3A0-F673-461A-9464-2ADADBC06413.jpeg
A8BD9E77-4598-44E2-9F65-F732AE99BFAB.jpeg
3457555D-F255-460B-A49E-5DFAE515198B.jpeg

I get either Heise LED setups, or Vision X - both only via open box / demo price ones.

Best Buy outlet always sells Heise cheap, Vision X I call & see what’s sitting around.

I just can’t see going over $200 all-in on a bar or pair of lights unless you’re on a S&R team.

-or using your lights to guide in narco planes-

———Biggest thing is to never clip the connector off the light or buy used(stolen) -LED’s where the connector is clipped.
Those lights will fog up easily within 18mo-2yrs, no matter the brand.

I have some Rigid lights and some cheap Chinese knock offs. While the Rigids are superior in build quality and light output, I don't use them enough and in serious enough circumstances to justify the additional cost.

I have a 40" or so long on top, went with a combo, I regret not getting a spot as I get too much reflected light off the hood.

I’d ridden in a 80 with satin black vinyl center on hood, when wet from rain/whatever - it may as well be gloss paint.

Not a big fan of roof mounted lightbars either, at least the cheaper ones I’ve ridden in.

I’d like one on a tower in my boat, but not until all the forward decking is bed-liner black - too much back glare.

Even then, I prob will just mount 2) ~8” ones out on the corners.

I’d ridden in a 80 with satin black vinyl center on hood, when wet from rain/whatever - it may as well be gloss paint.

I hadn't thought about that! Thanks for that tidbit. I will continue to make sure I locate my lighting properly to avoid hood wash.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom