Let's chat about light bars. (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I hadn't thought about that! Thanks for that tidbit. I will continue to make sure I locate my lighting properly to avoid hood wash.

Yeah, up here where it’s wet more often than not, I just don’t have a good thing to say about the roof-mounted LED bars.

The satin vinyl really backfires as I saw in the wet/low speeds as it just holds the water as a sheet, at least gloss paint **might** bead it up & roll off. :meh:

-Just my POV / living in the wet North.

-They’re great in / on bumpers, or as side/rear lighting pods.
-Just no big bars hanging over the windshield.

Yeah, up here where it’s wet more often than not, I just don’t have a good thing to say about the roof-mounted LED bars.

The satin vinyl really backfires as I saw in the wet/low speeds as it just holds the water as a sheet, at least gloss paint **might** bead it up & roll off. :meh:

-Just my POV / living in the wet North.

-They’re great in / on bumpers, or as side/rear lighting pods.
-Just no big bars hanging over the windshield.
Many years ago, I had a 69 Chevy 4x4 and had a bunch of lights on the front as well as the roll bar up and above the cab.

The ones above the cab were far enough back that the roof blocked the hood wash, but I got a lot through the sunroof. If I choose to do lights on the roof, they will have to be back a ways or have the lower "shields" to block the light on the hood.

15A3CDAF-8277-4739-B6A7-6525A4E4878E.jpeg

OR

C26AD5AA-FD51-4F70-8393-9DCAD941B36A.jpeg
0C769E62-8A37-4AF1-8E45-F06677C29931.jpeg

I like my light as far forward as possible so I also mounted on top of my ARB. The Chinese bar honestly puts out less light than my Rigid pods but it also cost a 1/4 the price.
80 series front.jpg

Bowfin rack already has a light bar cut out and I had my hood blacked out in matte vinyl so I can’t turn back now.
No reason you should turn back, my justification comes from 15 years in a police car where back lighting affects what I can see and who can see me.

In all honesty, glare is only an issue in specific circumstances and it isn't nearly bad enough that anyone should avoid certain mods. Desert racing at 90 mph in the dark is a very different circumstance from the activities most of us are involved in.

No reason you should turn back, my justification comes from 15 years in a police car where back lighting affects what I can see and who can see me.

In all honesty, glare is only an issue in specific circumstances and it isn't nearly bad enough that anyone should avoid certain mods. Desert racing at 90 mph in the dark is a very different circumstance from the activities most of us are involved in.

Copy that.

Just for the record, Ive had every iteration of light, light bar including rigid 50in lightbar, 10 lightbar, kc 50 pro 6 and the stedi lights I have on front bumper were a fraction and blow them soundly out of the water. blood rain and all.

I used this amazon special on my 80 - it worked well but wasn't nearly as bright as the Stealth Baja I had on my 100 and 200 ..... but a lot less $$ for me the bar isn't the optimal place to have real light power but rather it's filler.... howver on the bumper I love my LP6's and would've gone LP9's if they'd fit without reworking the tabs extensively... my other choices ther would've been the Fyrlyt's or thew Stedi's ...... both are amazing at distance ... but I really like the color of the baja design lights for a LED....

E

Slightly off topic; not quite light bars but I figure any pics of LED aux lighting is probably welcome...

Attached to the front cross bar on my Bowfin rack are 5 Ridgid D-XL’s; the 3 inside are their ‘hyperspot‘ distribution optics and the two on the outside are their ‘driving‘ distriution optics.

All 5 are wired via relays to my SwitchPro’s panel inside.

I‘ve been extremely happy with their performance; my last trip to Death Valley last year Thanksgiving was their maiden voyage and I was soooooo happy I had them. It made one very unexpected late nite of wheeling very manageable and sorta enjoyable even though it turned into a sh##show later.

Enjoy....

EF9F5C15-FCFA-44F8-A21C-2A332DFD237C.jpeg

35FAA782-AB79-4DF4-8137-C77580EDC5EE.jpeg

62E6119E-6878-4FED-9B98-2AE19C87A382.jpeg

20BE4245-C3D9-4118-B973-CA8F58CFC33F.jpeg

Slightly off topic; not quite light bars but I figure any pics of LED aux lighting is probably welcome...

Attached to the front cross bar on my Bowfin rack are 5 Ridgid D-XL’s; the 3 inside are their ‘hyperspot‘ distribution optics and the two on the outside are their ‘driving‘ distriution optics.

All 5 are wired via relays to my SwitchPro’s panel inside.

I‘ve been extremely happy with their performance; my last trip to Death Valley last year Thanksgiving was their maiden voyage and I was soooooo happy I had them. It made one very unexpected late nite of wheeling very manageable and sorta enjoyable even though it turned into a sh##show later.

Enjoy....

View attachment 2194966

View attachment 2194967

View attachment 2194968

View attachment 2194969
This is exactly what I was looking for! Thanks for sharing.

Can you post a pic of the how you ran the power wire inside? Please

I am a Baja Designs fan, have been running the big 8” BD HID’s on the Cummins 80 for a long time, and recently went a little overboard with new lights on the front of my LX450.

We squeezed 3 LP9 Pro’s and a pair of Squadron Pro’s onto my Delta front bumper. The light output is amazing. Makes me want to do something about the stock headlights now though.

6C9F6AEE-FC15-4FA6-8C67-B3D1E9E54F7B.jpeg
E5F3B420-ED56-42E8-B0D7-CF9C5D2A6F9C.jpeg

I purchased a 162W Amazon lightbar in Aug 2015 for $66 that I've used it quite a bit over the years. I must have lucked out. My light bar has been fantastic and does everything I need for a fraction of the cost of big name light bars. I sealed it with silicone before installing it and it has never had water in it. The lens on the front is starting to yellow with age and develop microcracks from rocks, gravel, and other impacts. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another cheap lightbar however I know there are a lot of bad ones flooding the market that put out a lot less light than most cell phone flashlights.

1603731318072.png

I run Heretic combo 40" bar up top and had 2x 9" Chinese 185w driving lights... The bar is instant sun, where the rounds are horrible in comparison. They'll be removed soon as I've just became a fan of BD LP4s.
PXL_20201026_175549184.jpg

Also thinking about going overkill with 2x LP9s to sub out the Chinese.

The trouble is wanting to fill out the 8 gang controller.
PXL_20201026_175517585.jpg

I have 2x duallies at the rear and onboard air I need to hookup still.

But for me the cheaper lights on amazon just don't compare. I ran rigid bars on my old Raptor and was a good compromise by cheap and pro lighting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom