Let The Re-Power Begin in Ernest (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After 'fiddling' around and finally getting the old engine out
IMAG0064.sized.jpg

Wrapping it up for the trip to Sac
IMAG0001.sized.jpg

Back home with the 'exchange unit'
IMAG0038.sized.jpg

Steam cleaned and ready for evaluation, I submit one used 3FE with 82,000 miles.
Let the re-power begin in earnest.
:cool:

Awesome! Decided to rebuild my 1FZ after the HG went south. Finally got around to dropping it in last night. Good luck on yours.

It's in, it's in! (honest)
News at eleven.

Good work! How'd it all go?

:eek: Let me clarify. In but not all hooked up.
We have all but one bell housing bolt in, the torque converter is bolted up and the access plate installed.
Since we took the motor mount brackets off the block, we'll lift the motor up some and reinstall them.
From there it's just a matter of reinstalling all the items that have been taken off.
Yippee:D
Should make some good progress today.:rolleyes:

DSC00015.sized.jpg

DSC00020.sized.jpg

This morn we finished the last bell housing bolt, exhaust pipes to manifolds, routed wire harness and buttoned her down to the front motor mounts. Kind of slow progress but the engine lift and engine dolly can go home now. Yipee.
Onward,

What happened? Did I miss a thread?

Slow or no progress lately. Life matters first. No biggie.
Found the first plug that didn't match. This one goes to the O2 sensors I believe.
Got the plug snagged trying to get it back out. Fished it out today, got the computer plugged in and remounted and found out I don't have any butt connectors for the plug-transplant.
Now the Tercel the kid's been driving has a tranny problem of some sort so I have to figure that one out before I get back on the LC. :eek:
Still, even the snail makes progress...at times. :rolleyes:

Made some good progress the last couple of weeks.
A few vac hoses and the ps adjustment to hook up.
Fitted the radiator last night. What a breeze. Oh yeah, forgot the shroud. Not so easy with the shroud. Gave up and will try that again tonight.
Recap: a few vac hoses, radiator, condenser, battery box and one or two plugs that don't seem to have mates and it'll be ready to fire up.
DSC00245.sized.jpg

This was taken Saturday. The fan/pulley, air cleaner assy and the belts now on also.
Anyone have a pic of the PS adjustment set up at the outer ps bracket? Don't have any good pics and not sure/don't remember how it's set up.
More pics thru the 'repower' link in sig line if you like.

DSC00265.sized.jpg

Headlight harness, power steering, AC drier & bracket, battery tray, ?rest of vacuum hoses, radiator core support installed.
Lubed up the cylinders and am going to turn it a couple of times to check things are turning around and in their proper alignment.

Keep it up bud.. don't feel bad that you can't make stuff happen in one weekend like some of our more ambitious friends here on 'Mud. There are a lot of folks that would not have even considered doing something like this...

Keep it up bud.. don't feel bad that you can't make stuff happen in one weekend like some of our more ambitious friends here on 'Mud. There are a lot of folks that would not have even considered doing something like this...

Hi Kief. Good to hear from you.
There were times when I thought I'd bitten off much more than I could chew but it's finally come together.
Hasn't started yet but I'm hopeful.
Thanks for the encouragement.

After filling the crankcase, tranny and radiator, I hit the ignition key and .....well, it turned over just fine until the 10 year old, sitting for almost 5 year battery gave up. I knew it'd take some cranking to get the fuel up to the engine but after the battery gave up I looked under the rig and found an oil puddle the size of a small dinner plate. Not quite sure where it's from but I'm suspecting the side cover gasket right now. It was dark and late so I put 'her' to bed until the morn.

I still have two unresolved items on the list.
From the coil there's an unplugged male flat spade that doesn't seem to have a mate and from the little vac pod 'thingy' on the back side of the air cleaner houseing is a hose that tappers down to a plastic hose stuck in the end that also doesn't have a home yet. Not sure if they'll prevent a start up but I'm bound to try after I snug up the side cover gasket just a tad. Hate to replace that one with all the 'stuff' in the way.

So, here's a pic of the connector to the coil
DSC00269.sized.jpg

and a pic of the hose
DSC00271.sized.jpg

Not great pics but maybe they'll be good enough for someone to identify.
Thanks,

Nice work Russ. That said, man I would have thought you were going to put a bigger engine or something in considering the title of "re-power"....

:lol:

I am assuming the oil filter is on tight, the oil pressure sending gauge is installed snugly and you replaced the rear main seal while it was accessible, right?
Not much oil is flowing when you're just cranking it over. I have seen oil pooring out of a side cover but the owner never tightened it up after putting it in place.

Nice work Russ. That said, man I would have thought you were going to put a bigger engine or something in considering the title of "re-power"....

:lol:

Naw, just another 3FE. Easiest for me. Didn't mean to miss-lead.
As of today, even though I have a couple of outstanding 'connections' left, I do not have spark at the plugs. The last electrical connection might be a ground not yet battened down.
Kind of bogged down with another turkey dinner so I'm taking it easy tonight.
Ever forward,

I am assuming the oil filter is on tight, the oil pressure sending gauge is installed snugly and you replaced the rear main seal while it was accessible, right?
Not much oil is flowing when you're just cranking it over. I have seen oil pooring out of a side cover but the owner never tightened it up after putting it in place.
Correct to all. Turned out to be the valve cover gasket. The nuts were only hand tight. :eek: Snugged them down and tried to start it again and no leaks...of oil. Had a nice fuel leak that turned out to be a fuel filter nut. Snugged that one up and no more leak.
Now, on to the 'no spark' condition.

I still have two unresolved items on the list.
From the coil there's an unplugged male flat spade that doesn't seem to have a mate and from the little vac pod 'thingy' on the back side of the air cleaner houseing is a hose that tappers down to a plastic hose stuck in the end that also doesn't have a home yet. Not sure if they'll prevent a start up but I'm bound to try after I snug up the side cover gasket just a tad. Hate to replace that one with all the 'stuff' in the way.

So, here's a pic of the connector to the coil
DSC00269.sized.jpg

and a pic of the hose
DSC00271.sized.jpg

Not great pics but maybe they'll be good enough for someone to identify.
Thanks,

Russ,

The hose is a fresh air intake from the far right grommet in the firewall.
The plug joins another opposite sex plug that appears to be ground (I have not tested it). There is some junction connector down there. I'll try to get a picture for you tomorrow. I need to move stuff around to get a good shot.

IOW, I don't think either is critical, but I'm still not sure on that plug off the coil.

Thanks again Jon.
I happened by the owners house of my old 91 I sold and he was home.
The connection at the coil is a ground. It ends at the front rh side of the block on a bolt that holds the fuel return line.
I was also able to 'rearrange' some of the vac hoses after seeing a live running example.
Right now I have no spark at the plug wire end. Found that out yesterday.
After my visit and 'rectifications', I hit the key and still no spark.
Sooo... I'll have to test some components and find the prob. This is not my long suit.
Awfully close now though...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom