Lessons learnt about AHC system (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have used my Landcruiser Amazon with AHC system for slightly over five years now (actually five and half years) since June 2018.

I never had any AHC woes until the last six months after I decided to change the shocks and globes (sorry these terms can be confusing, but I understand the system better than I did before).

Prior to the last six months, I had simply been changing the AHC fluid, which really helped maintain the system in good condition for all the five or so years. It was always very comfortable, stable and fun to drive.

The reason I changed parts of the AHC system six months ago was because the car had started riding rough. I have learnt a lot more since that mega-exercise of changing parts. At first, I even regretted that I changed the parts, but now things are a lot better. I thought I should share my experience to help others.

1. You need to ready yourself to understand the system better. Join this great forum and be ready to read and experiment a lot ... and be ready to get dirty and do some of the work yourself.

2. In some parts of the world, whenever you buy an AHC car, you might find yourself on your own, without anybody to help you when in need. No mechanic around would have any idea of how the system works, although many would claim to do so. In my experience, all the mechanics here who have helped me with replacing parts of my AHC system have no idea the moment you start talking about neutral pressures, graduation tests, etc. I told one mechanic that my Forum members (this forum) advise that we should always check neutral pressures. The mechanic asked me "what is neutral pressure". Then he assured me that those advising me are not mechanics; that they are just ordinary car owners who do not know what they are talking about. This just confirmed to me that he did not know the technicalities of AHC. Yet this is one of the few expert AHC mechanics in town.

3. After doing some work on the system, e.g. replacing a part that leads to fluid loss or potentially introduces air into the system, be ready to bleed the system even if the mechanics tell you that it is not necessary. Here, all the mechanics insist that bleeding the system is not necessary, yet when I bleed it later, I find a lot of air - and the ride quality improves drastically after bleeding.

4. Equip yourself with a diagnostic tool (Techstream, ...) to help you monitor the system. It is unbelievable how much the ride quality changes after you adjust the pressures (through torsion bar adjustment). All these mechanics of mine here don't believe it.

5. Be very patient with the adjustments you make on the system. You need to adjust, test, adjust, test over and over until the system is in great condition. The only person who can tell whether the system has improved or not is the one who drives the car all the time (and that is you), not the mechanic who does not know how the car rides.

6. I have read a lot of online claims that AHC is the single part of a LandCruiser that fails too often. I think it only fails if you do not know what you are doing.

7. When a mechanic tells you that they know the system very well and they have worked on many similar cars before, treat it with a pinch of salt. You may certainly be lucky to get a good mechanic who knows the system (depending on where you are). But for me, that has not been the case, I now understand why cars similar to mine have mostly disappeared on the roads here.

8. Since I started getting the AHC woes six months ago, I now seem to be nearing a point where my system may be back in order - due to my persistence. Had I left it to my mechanics, I would possibly have discarded the car by now, just because of a lack of understanding of AHC.

Having shared the above, I believe many car owners in some places are lucky because they have mechanics who understand the technicalities of AHC. Our experiences may be different. These are mine.

Last edited:
I have used my Landcruiser Amazon with AHC system for slightly over five years now (actually five and half years) since June 2018.

I never had any AHC woes until the last six months after I decided to change the shocks and globes (sorry these terms can be confusing, but I understand the system better than I did before).

Prior to the last six months, I had simply been changing the AHC fluid, which really helped maintain the system in good condition for all the five or so years. It was always very comfortable, stable and fun to drive.

The reason I changed parts of the AHC system six months ago was because the car had started riding rough. I have learnt a lot more since that mega-exercise of changing parts. At first, I even regretted that I changed the parts, but now things are a lot better. I thought I should share my experience to help others.

1. You need to ready yourself to understand the system better. Join this great forum and be ready to read and experiment a lot ... and be ready to get dirty and do some of the work yourself.

2. In some parts of the world, whenever you buy an AHC car, you might find yourself on your own, without anybody to help you when in need. No mechanic around would have any idea of how the system works, although many would claim to do so. In my experience, all the mechanics here who have helped me with replacing parts of my AHC system have no idea the moment you start talking about neutral pressures, graduation tests, etc. I told one mechanic that my Forum members (this forum) advise that we should always check neutral pressures. The mechanic asked me "what is neutral pressure". Then he assured me that those advising me are not mechanics; that they are just ordinary car owners who do not know what they are talking about. This just confirmed to me that he did not know the technicalities of AHC. Yet this is one of the few expert AHC mechanics in town.

3. After doing some work on the system, e.g. replacing a part that leads to fluid loss or potentially introduces air into the system, be ready to bleed the system even if the mechanics tell you that it is not necessary. Here, all the mechanics insist that bleeding the system is not necessary, yet when I bleed it later, I find a lot of air - and the ride quality improves drastically after bleeding.

4. Equip yourself with a diagnostic tool (Techstream, ...) to help you monitor the system. It is unbelievable how much the ride quality changes after you adjust the pressures (through torsion bar adjustment). All these mechanics of mine here don't believe it.

5. Be very patient with the adjustments you make on the system. You need to adjust, test, adjust, test over and over until the system is in great condition. The only person who can tell whether the system has improved or not is the one who drives the car all the time (and that is you), not the mechanic who does not know how the car rides.

6. I have read a lot of online claims that AHC is the single part of a LandCruiser that fails too often. I think it only fails if you do not know what you are doing.

7. When a mechanic tells you that they know the system very well and they have worked on many similar cars before, treat it with a pinch of salt. You may certainly be lucky to get a good mechanic who knows the system (depending on where you are). But for me, that has not been the case, I now understand why cars similar to mine have mostly disappeared on the roads here.

8. Since I started getting the AHC woes six months ago, I now seem to be nearing a point where my system may be back in order - due to my persistence. Had I left it to my mechanics, I would possibly have discarded the car by now, just because of a lack of understanding of AHC.

Having shared the above, I believe many car owners in some places are lucky because they have mechanics who understand the technicalities of AHC. Our experiences may be different. These are mine.
Hi - new 2000 LX470 owner, and learning the hard way $$$ about the AHC.

Rode real rough after bought, went back to Lexus dealer and they said I need four new struts. Cut a deal with them as a favor for selling me this, but ride not much better. Dug into these forums for help with AHC since dealer doesnt seem to have addressed the problem much. I have measure the H-M-L difference on the fluid and it's 3-4 total. You seem to have spent time on this system, is the next step to replace the globes? The AHC lifts and lowers the truck fine, it's just a rough rider. I have done the TIS diagnostics they are attached. Thanks.

Attachments

• Techstream Results.pdf
    203.6 KB · Views: 59
Impressed the dealer actually replaced the rear shocks without destroying something. Will they cough up the cost since it was an incorrect diagnosis? (Sarcasm)

Based on your 3-4 measurement and a rough ride you likely need globes. While you are at it, adjust your torsion bars to get that front pressure down and do some new rear coils from an AHC LC and some 30mm spacers to get the rear pressure down.

Hi - new 2000 LX470 owner, and learning the hard way $$$ about the AHC.

Rode real rough after bought, went back to Lexus dealer and they said I need four new struts. Cut a deal with them as a favor for selling me this, but ride not much better. Dug into these forums for help with AHC since dealer doesnt seem to have addressed the problem much. I have measure the H-M-L difference on the fluid and it's 3-4 total. You seem to have spent time on this system, is the next step to replace the globes? The AHC lifts and lowers the truck fine, it's just a rough rider. I have done the TIS diagnostics they are attached. Thanks.
Yes, i would consider replacing the globes based on my experience. And i would make sure to bleed the system after globe replacement. Lack of bleeding has given me really bad experience.

But you may first try to check if there is air in the system currently before globe replacement. Air is troublesome.

And how are the bushings? I think they can cause discomfort in the ride.

The AHC system is really comfortable and fun when all is right. I have just been doing about 800 miles return journey. I love it all through.

Last edited:
Impressed the dealer actually replaced the rear shocks without destroying something. Will they cough up the cost since it was an incorrect diagnosis? (Sarcasm)

Based on your 3-4 measurement and a rough ride you likely need globes. While you are at it, adjust your torsion bars to get that front pressure down and do some new rear coils from an AHC LC and some 30mm spacers to get the rear pressure down.
Is there more info on coils and spacers? I wish I could find a schematic of these terms. Thanks.

Is there more info on coils and spacers? I wish I could find a schematic of these terms. Thanks.
You definitely need to replace the globes. The shocks/struts were probably fine.

Have you read the "ABCs of AHC"? If not, you should. Everything is there. In more agonizing detail than anyone actually needs to know, haha.

You definitely need to replace the globes. The shocks/struts were probably fine.

Have you read the "ABCs of AHC"? If not, you should. Everything is there. In more agonizing detail than anyone actually needs to know, haha.
Yes, been over the ABC's, it mentions spacers, don't spacers just push the wheels out? I dont understand how moving them outwards lowers pressures. I dont know much about suspension systems, bushings, coils, willing to read and learn but just cant find the info. I am currently confused as to how the AHC goes up and down. One doc says the globes just dampen the ride, and it is the struts that elevate and lower the truck. So are they connected to the hydraulic system too? I just cant find a real picture of how this all connects. Thanks.

Saw your post in the 200 series front coil spacers thread.

Those are not what you are looking for. The spacers being mentioned in this thread are rear coil spacers. You have torsion bars in the front that can be adjusted, so you do not really need front coil spacers. What you are looking for is added spring preload (coil spacers in the rear and torsion bar adjustment in the front) to lower AHC system pressure at a given ride height. I don't have a 100, so I'll leave it to these guys for any more specifics, and as stated above, everything you need to know is in the ABCs thread. I suspect that thread is probably pretty long winded at this point.

Saw your post in the 200 series front coil spacers thread.

Those are not what you are looking for. The spacers being mentioned in this thread are rear coil spacers. You have torsion bars in the front that can be adjusted, so you do not really need front coil spacers. What you are looking for is added spring preload (coil spacers in the rear and torsion bar adjustment in the front) to lower AHC system pressure at a given ride height. I don't have a 100, so I'll leave it to these guys for any more specifics, and as stated above, everything you need to know is in the ABCs thread. I suspect that thread is probably pretty long winded at this point.
Thanks - so last night I adjusted my torsion bars, clockwise 5 turns. I needed to lower a full 2 mpag (10 turns) but after 5 turns it lowered pressures and re-read and they are lower although the readings are pretty all over the map from over 8 like where I started to under 5 over ten readings. Also when I go to LOW, I notice a thump in front end like it has hit something and wont go any lower. Didnt have that before. Afraid to lower them any more cause it seems like the body is just stopping at a max lower limit.

Im also going to install rear spacers 30 mm like was suggested but my ride in front is still much rougher than I would think, wife has an RX350, and I also have a 2016 Maxima with thin tires etc and they both take bumps with just a small quiet thud vs my LX470 still feels like the bump is going through all the plastic in my cabin like the whole system is worn out all shaking. I know it is 25 years old, but globes are new, fluid is new, new Lexus struts, cant feel any difference on that comfort knob next to AHC switch when going through the 4 positions. It rides great on a smooth highway like a cloud, but doesn't everything?

I've looked at bushings, they seem in great shape, I think this thing was kept in a garage or storage unit most of the time given it only has 105K miles and interior looks like it's 3 years old, not 25. Engine and all rubber is very fresh looking.

Cant figure it out - Ive even lowered my tire pressures a little but still just doesnt handle the Houston roads with cracks and little dips with edges well.

I printed out the FSM DI-208 and will try to figure that out next - maybe that damping force accumulator is not working I dont know.

What you are looking for is added spring preload (coil spacers in the rear and torsion bar adjustment in the front) to lower AHC system pressure at a given ride height.

Another option is the King Springs KTRS-79. I've installed these and when unloaded, my rear pressures are a bit lower than optimum, however they're great when the beast is loaded and/or towing a trailer with decent drawbar weight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom