LED globes: load resistor vs flasher relay? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Gday. I’m dipping my feet into “mods” for my newly acquired 96 GXL. Got a bunch of replacement LED globes from Stedi, and I’ve now learned about hyper flashing. There seem to be two options to fix: load resistors and replacement LED flash relays. What are the pros/cons for these fixes?

My take is that a replacement flasher is the way to go because it’s a reversible fix, I.e, non-destructive. If it doesn’t fix the issue, I can go back to the OEM flasher and move to the load resistor. Also it’s one thing to replace. The resistor option seems a bit dangerous (to a novice) because you must attach the unit to a metal surface well away from plastics and other wiring. And you have to do it in the left and right side (correct me if I’m wrong).

Is this a good take? Or is there an accepted ‘best’ option for deal with hyper flash with LED globes?

Thanks in advance!

IMO “best” would be just put the relay in. Not the easiest job because of the location, but it solved by fast blinker issue.

One nice part with relays, the ones I have used in the past will work with standard bulbs as well. Change it once and don't worry about it again, even if you wind up going back to a conventional bulb.

Replacing the relay is a 5 minute job.
However, some folks have had issues with Cruise control disengaging when using turn signals. This has to do with LED brake/tail lamps. There is some sort of feedback that happens. I'm sure a diode placed in the correct area would cure this, but my solution was going back to analog brake/tail lamps.

Thanks for the info, everyone!
The relay seems a little tricky (for a novice like me) to get to but as far as I can see it only requires the removal of one panel and doesn't sit behind the dash which is great. And I agree it seems like the 'correct' way to go about a fix. I didn't know a new relay will work with conventional bulbs too, which is a nice bonus and not within the realm of possibility to revert back one day. I'm a little partial to the fede in/out of the indicator globe :)
Regarding cruise control, my vehicle doesn't have cruise control so that shouldn't affect me. Unless there's some other issue that arises in non-cruise control vehicles instead? I guess I'll find out :)

I Just did this today! Following pics and diagrams from this thread. Went smoothly, pretty easy job. The hardest part was pulling the OEM relay (which comes with an extension/adapter thing, FYI). It was really tight to get off. I used a flathead screwdriver behind the OEM replay to carefully jimmy the relay loose from the board. Hyperflash gone and system works well! (Note: there is one or two extra 'tick' sounds in the dash after you turn off the indicator, but the lights don't activate during this.)

How exactly does one access the relay?
All the information is in the Toyota FSM and EWD which you can download free-fer-nothin' from the resources section.
The flash relay is located behind the left side kick panel which pops off once you remove the dead pedal (US spec). Takes a whole 5 minutes.

1701439443406.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom