Learn from me - Bad build experience Ed Martin (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry to hear your truck is still giving you grief.

Mine is heading to yet another shop to try an figure out why it continually drains the main battery if left undriven for more than 4 days. Never again! Once this is resolved, I'll only use my local Toy Specialty shop/fabricator (Trail Tailor) for any modifications I can't handle myself. If not resolved...have to decide if its time to sell.

For the kind of money spent on the initial purchase and extensive modifications ES is selling (at a substantial profit), these trucks should have ZERO issues....short of user inflicted trail damage.

Start a thread and tell us about your setup. We can help.

I never trust dealerships, I do not care who they are. I only trust my right hand (ace of spades) and my left (5 of clubs) when it comes to work on my rig. 60, 80, 100 or 200 series. Only deal with reputable from this board who have time and skill under their belts.

With that said, I hope the OP can work with this community to sort out all of the wackiness.

I never trust dealerships, I do not care who they are. I only trust my right hand (ace of spades) and my left (5 of clubs) when it comes to work on my rig. 60, 80, 100 or 200 series. Only deal with reputable from this board who have time and skill under their belts.

With that said, I hope the OP can work with this community to sort out all of the wackiness.
But what if my hands have the trustworthiness of Liam Neeson’s pro-gun stance?

The gas smell has been found after a year and several trips to shops.

I'm out thousands of dollars of my time and have experienced severe distress over this experience with Ed Martin.

When we started finding so much wrong I did ask Eric to take the vehicle back but he did not want to do so rather I have been left to deal with shops to get everything sorted out. Did Ed Martin pay for the repairs: yes. Was it worth the $125/hr shop rate I paid for work: no. Would I do it again: no.

The hose below is the second non-fuel rated hose to be removed from this LRA install by Ed Martin. The hose appears to be a 4ply silicone coolant hose. The hose reeked of gasoline.

I'm incredibly disappointed.

1622587215869.png
1622587234134.png

Damn. Is that hose something that came with the LRA tank/parts, or was this picked & installed by the shop doing the work?

Damn, glad you found the source of the smell at least. What is still remaining to be sorted out at this point?

Car salesmen…

Wow. I know ES posted on this thread. But hopefully he reexamines his builds and what he out sources. Wonder if anyone else with Ed Martin builds will find the same non Fuel rated hose. Or if this was a one off.

I hate to see threads like this. I know Eric tries hard make these things right (At least that's been my impression), but the installers he used on some of these builds didn't do him any favors at all. That's on him for not using better vendors on these mid-tier builds. The Dissent and Slee builds, on the other hand, have been top notch. Probably way out of budget for even a lot of new LC buyers though. He took a huge risk taking new LC's and building them the way he did. He also did a lot to support many of the major 200 series vendors. While it's easy to pile on in this situation, it's also important to consider the possibility that he may be learning a few lessons the hard way and hopefully comes out the other side better for it.

Based only on personal experiences, I imagine it is pretty hard for Eric to control subcontractors. Especially at the level of a sub choosing to substitute one small part for another. It is a major bummer that the OP has had these problems, but after all Eric has done for many of us in this community, I’m hesitant to throw him under a bus.

I believe firmly that mistakes happen, and it’s the response to the failure of the person/team/business that defines them.

I agree, it’s all too easy to dog pile. I’ve been the one at the bottom of the pile more than once in my profession.

With all of that said - all the glad-handing, smiling, offering free advice, being part of the community is wonderful. Great, glad to have you. But, when the poor bastard spends $100k+ on a butcher job of a vehicle - you buy the damn thing back, fix it and resale it to someone else after the problems are sorted. The mega dealers can and do absorb these problems and never miss a beat. The guy who saved and planned for this purchase (assuming your situation) will take a beating emotionally and financially.

This was not handled appropriately.

Last edited:
This is disheartening.

That is a huge liability. Hoses not designed for hydrocarbons deteriorate very quickly. That could have been a bad day seeing as this hose was likely routed around or near the hot exhaust.
It’s clear the installers were/are incompetent.
If LRA already supplied the appropriate hose(s), then why did 4WheelParts (or whoever) use substandard hoses (two apparently) that could lead to a deadly explosive situation??!! And did Ed Martin OK the use of such parts?

The question (an obvious one) is that IF this was done (along with multiple other horrible install errors) on this particular LC project, then how many other Ed Martin’s previous “products/projects” used substandard potentially hazardous parts as well??? Should all Ed Martin’s project owners check all the installs for crappy parts? If so, then does Ed Martin stand behind the install? Will Ed Martin pay the bill for 3rd party inspection on all their previous projects if owner(s) asks?

No matter Ed Martin’s contribution to the forum, this is a MAJOR screwup. Ed Martin has made tons of profits off this forum. And if he made tons of profits by also cost cutting on parts and/or low balling his installers (resulting in poor experience worksmanship), then Ed Martin should be held 100% responsible and treated that way. To all those who defend Ed Martin, stop making excuses for the dealer!!

Collapse frame!! Poor workmanship. Idiotic install. Substandard parts, including fuel hoses that reek gas and will likely fail soon and leak gasoline!

You guys OK if your family ride in such a vehicle?!! Really?!

IF i am an owner of one of Ed Martin’s project, then I would get my LC check immediately for errors and substandard parts by a 3rd party, even if i have no issue currently. Given how much Ed Martin charges for these installs, it is mind boggling the cost cutting and poor install.

Last edited:
Why are you a troll that always shows up to trash Ed Martin builds? Have you had dealings with Eric?

Why are you a troll that always shows up to trash Ed Martin builds? Have you had dealings with Eric?
?? Me?? Huh? This is my 2nd post in this thread. Where have i trash Ed Martin? Show me.

You siding with Ed Martin on this snafu?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom