Leaking in the rain (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The FSM implies that the installation is a standard rope-and-soap deal, and the you apply sealer at both ends of the seal, at the very end. Could us members of the 'leaky glass club' do this ourselves with the correct sealant, after a shop just plops the windshield in the hole, without sealer?

@ Aloha Jenn....nice work! Now I wish I would have done it myself!:doh: I live in Portland, OR and literally no glass shop in town would guarantee their work to be leak free and the local cruiser shop was unsuccessful twice. I just happened to find an old school guy at a body shop who was fearless and always glues the way the FSM recommends....working out so far. How long have you had the glass in? No leaks??
Only been in a short while but holding up fine with no leaks. It was new glass and a new gasket, so with the polyurethane adhesive, I am fully expecting it not to leak.

The FSM implies that the installation is a standard rope-and-soap deal, and the you apply sealer at both ends of the seal, at the very end. Could us members of the 'leaky glass club' do this ourselves with the correct sealant, after a shop just plops the windshield in the hole, without sealer?
Yes, just put the sealant in yourself! That's what we did, and are also doing on our 80 that just started leaking. We used this FSM method from a post in the 80 section to reseal the windshield gasket after the factory gasket glue fails:
HOW TO: Fix your leaky windshield
The directions for 80 windshield installs are nearly the same as with the 60's. Some of the guys that used this FSM method and polyurethane product are still leak free after 8 years!

X2 on removing the fenders and re-applying seam sealer...mine had none left. Worked like a charm:bounce:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom