Leaking fluid from Clutch Pedal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The past couple days I have noticed my clutch pedal squeaking as im releasing the pedal. Today, I look down there to investigate and now see what I assume to be brake fluid leaking into the cabin down the firewall. It's coming from the hole in the firewall where the clutch pedal is coming from.

Any diagnosis on this? I assume it may be master or slave cylinder replacement time? Or both?

Thanks in advance!

Replacing both at the same time seems to be the standard. Definitely sounds like the clutch master may be the culprit.

Is this a pretty easy / cheap fix? I've never tackled this one before myself.

It will be harder to describe how to do it than it would to actually do it.

So easy a caveman could do it.

To service the master, and to turn the flex line hose connecting to the slave for removal, you will need a good flare nut wrench. The problem is such a tool does not exist. So you will probably use what flare nut wrench you can find, and round the hex on the hydraulic fitting.

However, a good pair of vise grips can piggyback the 10mm connection (below) and maintain it from expanding open, even when the threads are rusted, and maintain the factory hex on the hydraulic fitting. After it is turning freely, I reach for a shorty open-end wrench to do most of the work.

GEDC1629.JPG

Mine did that once, just random 1 winter , filled resivior and it has been fine since. No explanation, fj40 sits outside all the time, nothing changed, have no idea why. But it has worked for 10 years since with no issues.

Life expectancy for a clutch master or slave is about 10 years... mine have failed twice in in 22 years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom