Leaf Spring Install - Rear now, front later ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My ‘84 60 is sitting flat on all springs, It needs shocks, springs all round. This costs lots. Could I replace the rear springs, put it on the road, save up and do the fronts later? Obviously the rear would sit higher especially with a 2” lift. Safety? Steering? My gut says not possible but you never know. Any comments or experience with this would be welcomed. Thanks in advance. “Still Alive after 20 years”

I did the OME 2.5" lift, you'll love it, but it will "stink bug" bad enough with all four springs done at the same time until the springs settle. There is this crazy idea called "the Zuk Mod" where you stuff some coil springs between your axle and frame. I considered it briefly for my toy pickup, but chickened out.

“. . . It will “stink bug”, I love the expression. Thanks MoaByte.
Part of the problem is time. For me a mechanical nobody, it would takes days to do just the rear. I could see stretching out just to find the time. I guess I could do the rear, run it in the neighborhood and just see how things go. Fortunately not a daily driver.-

I bought a set of Boss airbags to get rid of the saggy booty in mine while I save for a lift. It can also be a permanent solution if you’re not wanting to drop a ton of coin on leaf springs. VERY easy to install. Took me about an hour.

That’s a great idea Blackcat. I just checked website. Thanks. I never heard of these . Mud comes through again.

You could possibly buy some used FJ62 rear springs for cheap. They are stronger, don't sag so much.

I wouldn't put lift springs in just one end or the other though. It would look ridiculous and probably not ride/brake properly.

You could possibly buy some used FJ62 rear springs for cheap. They are stronger, don't sag so much.

I wouldn't put lift springs in just one end or the other though. It would look ridiculous and probably not ride/brake properly.

Huh? 62 springs are different?....well they do sag just as much as any other, my 62 springs were shot & flat when i pulled them off years ago.

Save up and do it all at one time.

Huh? 62 springs are different?....well they do sag just as much as any other, my 62 springs were shot & flat when i pulled them off years ago.

Save up and do it all at one time.

They have an extra leaf. Sure, they can sag too but not quite so prone to it as the 60 packs.

avoid installing new 2-1/2" springs only in the rear and then driving it on public roads. The ass will stick up way too high, Heck, who knows what that kind of angle would do to engine oiling long term

avoid installing new 2-1/2" springs only in the rear and then driving it on public roads. The ass will stick up way too high, Heck, who knows what that kind of angle would do to engine oiling long term
Thanks OSS and others. Yea, the idea of “rear now & front down the road” is all in all, a bad idea.

I did the front first and then the back a week later, and drove it around like that. It made a huge difference in ride. Honestly it rode better with the front new OME and the back stock than it did after I put the OME on the rears. The shocks have now broken in after about 500 miles and its way better than it was before the OME.

Yes, if you are desperate to separate the front and the back procedures, you're more likely to get away with replacing the fronts first. Still not the best idea, but more possible, I would think...

After pulling my flat worn springs I found one of the leafs was cracked in 2 places all the way across the leaf. This under the top plate so you couldn't see it. For this reason I would NOT recommend re-arching 30 yr old springs. Do them all at one time. Research how to remove the old bushings. They are going to be a B*tch for sure. Drill out the sides, burn them out with a torch, pry them out. Either way the rust from the old pitted shackle bolts will be holding them in place. Here's an image of my old springs for your inspiration:
broken spring.jpg

I really didn't have much trouble with the old bushings maybe I was lucky. The first was a bear as I drilled and hit and finally conceded to the blow torch. The second, I set up a fan. lit up the blow torch and let it cook for about 3-5 minutes until the bolts were red hot and the rubber was burning pretty good then hit it with a 3# mallet, they popped out smoking with minimal effort.

Yes, if you are desperate to separate the front and the back procedures, you're more likely to get away with replacing the fronts first. Still not the best idea, but more possible, I would think...
Do this first. If you really had to, just add long shackles to the rear ( redneck cheap fix! )
until funds are available. Don’t re use bushings either if old.
I looked sideways at airbags forever, until to put a set of BOSS airbags on. I’m reminded by
my friends that I was stupid not to have done it years ago.
Do not re arch old springs.

9FED1F7E-CA75-46A3-A21F-C1514A0B3E57.jpeg

D6A1F94A-84E5-40DE-985F-28B1BE16704A.jpeg
F5827BF4-5396-4FE9-A84B-E21D451D4DC1.jpeg

I took this off my build as I reused my 30 plus old leaf springs, not everyone is going to have broken or damaged springs. I inspected mine and they were fine. Added a new longer leaf to the pack. It is an option to rearch if you don’t have damaged springs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom