LCDC 9 Ham Radio List (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I enjoy getting to know people as well as playing on Excel/Spreadsheets and making lists.

I can't post on (or even locate) the LCDC9 thread when I am logged in for some reason (I'd love some help there), but I wanted to join the conversation somehow.

I am registered for LCDC 9 and I'm wondering if it might be nice to make a ham radio visor list like I have done for our local Wasatch Cruisers LC club. This being my first LCDC event, and with limited info on LCDC 9 up to this point, I am unsure how many ham operators might join and how much it might be used. If there are a significant number of operators and it will be used, I'd love to make a laminated list (or just a printable version), if people are interested in one. This first picture is a photo of the list laminated and attached to my LC200 visor.

FD007502-6BAD-4090-A873-58C4E9129455.jpeg
3C9DA737-A1A0-4675-AFE0-965DC272D83A.png

YES X2!

Just checked my email and sure enough, there was an LCDC 9 update :)cheers:) AND it would appear that what I've found among Land Cruiser owners, will carry over for the LCDC group. That is, TLC owners appreciates the higher quality things in life, such as ham radios over other forms.

Screen Shot 2023-06-12 at 12.06.13 PM.png

YES X2!

Just checked my email and sure enough, there was an LCDC 9 update :)cheers:) AND it would appear that what I've found among Land Cruiser owners, will carry over for the LCDC group. That is, TLC owners appreciates the higher quality things in life, such as ham radios over other forms.

View attachment 3347480
It's always good to have someone in the middle of the pack who can relay messages to those in the back. VHF has the same line-of-sight (mostly) transmission limitations as FRS/GMRS. There have been times on 2M when a hill was between me and the person I was talking to and the communications dropped. The GMRS license is much easier to get than the HAM. Even the Technician license will require studying and then you have to schedule for testing. Then, it can be another 10 days to two weeks to get the license. Good to do in any case as when the zombie apocalypse comes, HAM operators will be the only people still talking.

It's always good to have someone in the middle of the pack who can relay messages to those in the back. VHF has the same line-of-sight (mostly) transmission limitations as FRS/GMRS. There have been times on 2M when a hill was between me and the person I was talking to and the communications dropped. The GMRS license is much easier to get than the HAM. Even the Technician license will require studying and then you have to schedule for testing. Then, it can be another 10 days to two weeks to get the license. Good to do in any case as when the zombie apocalypse comes, HAM operators will be the only people still talking.
Oh wow. I didn't realize you had to have a GMRS license to transmit.

I agree with the ham license. If you're not on top of it already, it will be really difficult to squeeze it all in before 7/12.

Oh wow. I didn't realize you had to have a GMRS license to transmit.
Yeah, but fortunately, it is going on the FCC Universal Licensing System, getting an FRN number and then filling out the license form, submit, pay the fee and then wait. I received an email the next day with my GMRS license (WRXM553). It is good for 10 years. It is also good to read FCC Part 47 (https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/CFR-2009-title47-vol5/pdf/CFR-2009-title47-vol5-part95.pdf) for all of the particulars.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom