Ham radio mounting locations (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Does anyone have pictures of where they've mounted a ham radio in the 2016+ LX 570? I have a Yaseu FTM-400 but can't figure out a satisfactory place to put the display / control unit, as in general the dash on the LX 570 is kind of cluttered.

Does anyone have pictures of where they've mounted a ham radio in the 2016+ LX 570? I have a Yaseu FTM-400 but can't figure out a satisfactory place to put the display / control unit, as in general the dash on the LX 570 is kind of cluttered.
I'm planning on installing an Anytone 578 in the back and use a BT-01 bluetooth remote up front. That little remote should help keep things classy up front. I installed the Gamivity mount up front with a ram mount rail. It gives you options.

20231229_152618.jpg

20231229_152918.jpg

20231229_152614.jpg

20231229_152551.jpg

I have an FTM-350 and used the driver's side grab handle mini ball mount trick that someone on here posted. I mounted another ball to the back of the remote using one of two mounting holes on the flange.

The transceiver itself is mounted to the back of my drawers. The good thing about the FTM-350 is that the head separation cable can just be a CAT5 cable so length/routing of it is extremely flexible.

To pre-address the airbag concern: I only use the radio when offroad so it's only mounted then. Takes all of a minute to connect it up.

The cable and mic aren't connected in this photo.
PXL_20230501_012428119.jpg

For those of you mounting your radio in the trunk, do you have any trouble being able to hear it? Do you use a remote speaker mounted up front somewhere? I have a Yaesu FTM-400 and I have the detachable face mounted up front. Right now my radio itself is in the cargo net that's on the back of the driver's seat, but it's not a good permanent location. Between the 2nd row and drawer would probably work, as would mounting it in the drawer wing, but I'm not sure how muddled it'll be (or how loud for someone sitting in the 2nd row)

For those of you mounting your radio in the trunk, do you have any trouble being able to hear it? Do you use a remote speaker mounted up front somewhere? I have a Yaesu FTM-400 and I have the detachable face mounted up front. Right now my radio itself is in the cargo net that's on the back of the driver's seat, but it's not a good permanent location. Between the 2nd row and drawer would probably work, as would mounting it in the drawer wing, but I'm not sure how muddled it'll be (or how loud for someone sitting in the 2nd row)
I have my 400 under the driver's seat

Definitely remote speaker.

FTM 400… Main unit in back…
Screen via handle mod…
Speaker behind second row…
Easily Removable Antenna on swing-out…
To do this, you’ll need a head wire extender & antenna wire extension. I also added an external speaker & extended the mic wire so it is within the center console.
IMG_3065.jpeg

1708991930552.jpeg

1708991953320.jpeg

1708992318174.jpeg

FTM 400… Main unit in back…
Screen via handle mod…
Speaker behind second row…
Easily Removable Antenna on swing-out…
To do this, you’ll need a head wire extender & antenna wire extension. I also added an external speaker & extended the mic wire so it is within the center console.
View attachment 3567966
View attachment 3567969
View attachment 3567970
View attachment 3567975
Awesome thanks Mark. I moved my antenna to my swingout already and I have enough wire to mount the radio in the back and face up front, I just hadn’t found a good spot for it. Remote speaker seems like the plan, though I might be able to get away with leaving. The radio on the back side of the drawer between the drawer and second row

Awesome thanks Mark. I moved my antenna to my swingout already and I have enough wire to mount the radio in the back and face up front, I just hadn’t found a good spot for it. Remote speaker seems like the plan, though I might be able to get away with leaving. The radio on the back side of the drawer between the drawer and second row
If you do get an external speaker…it needs a male plug with both left and right connection (like stereo), which is counter-intuitive for a single speaker.
Why?
Because Yaesu does something weird…sending one band to the left, and your second band to the right. This means if you connect what makes sense…a mono plug…you’ll have weird issues.

So whatever single speaker you use…it needs a make plug with 3 contacts (2 black separator stripes).

I found the built-in on my Yaesu way to weak…and improved massively with the external.

Also highly recommend wriing radio to an always-hot power source. No fun losing radio monitoring when you turn iff the truck, or have to use accessory mode.

There is a lot of space under the drivers seat for the main unit and an external speaker.. Been poking around there trying to fit other stuff, but came to the conclusion it's best for the radios. You may need to remove the seat to mount them but will confirm.. (no need to remove it from the truck you just need access space..)

I am planning on the radio face plate where the sunglass holder is and a GMRS handset/mic below the start button. HAM hand set on pass side same as GMRS, that may switch but that's easy with Cat5)

If you do get an external speaker…it needs a male plug with both left and right connection (like stereo), which is counter-intuitive for a single speaker.
Why?
Because Yaesu does something weird…sending one band to the left, and your second band to the right. This means if you connect what makes sense…a mono plug…you’ll have weird issues.

So whatever single speaker you use…it needs a make plug with 3 contacts (2 black separator stripes).

I found the built-in on my Yaesu way to weak…and improved massively with the external.

Also highly recommend wriing radio to an always-hot power source. No fun losing radio monitoring when you turn iff the truck, or have to use accessory mode.
You rock. I did not know that about the plug. It would have confused the heck out of me

Yeah right now I’m using the 2nd row cig lighter for power and it’s annoying to lose the radio when I turn the truck off. I have a wiring plan… hopefully it’s warm here this weekend

You rock. I did not know that about the plug. It would have confused the heck out of me

Yeah right now I’m using the 2nd row cig lighter for power and it’s annoying to lose the radio when I turn the truck off. I have a wiring plan… hopefully it’s warm here this weekend
Something to think about for the power, is putting it on a relay. I have a fuse block in the back of the truck and the power for the base unit wired with a relay so it turns on and off with the truck. I also have it set up so I can trigger it on with my ARB LINX system when the truck is off. I am sure you don't have a LINX system, but there would be other way of doing it without it.

A06D97E9-B4C1-4DE2-ACC6-536DC0187833_1_105_c.jpeg

This is how I went with things on my LC.

Also, we keep our music hardcore.

Something to think about for the power, is putting it on a relay. I have a fuse block in the back of the truck and the power for the base unit wired with a relay so it turns on and off with the truck. I also have it set up so I can trigger it on with my ARB LINX system when the truck is off. I am sure you don't have a LINX system, but there would be other way of doing it without it.
Yeah no LINX or Switchpros for me. I do have the rear fuse block wired to a relay so it only comes on when the engine is running (doesn’t even work in accessory mode, which is intentional because I want to charge the lithium power bank off it only when running).

I am planning to wire the HAM off the front fuse block which is always on though I may install an auto shutoff timer so I don’t forget and leave it on all night and drain the battery.

To pre-address the airbag concern: I only use the radio when offroad so it's only mounted then. Takes all of a minute to connect it up.

There are posts here with pics of the A Pilar bags deployed and they won’t likely interfere with your radio mount location. The come out very close to the window glass. Anything mounted inside (right) of the grab handle is ok.

Not sure of if possible but is there a chance that the Yaseu FTM-400 brain and screen can fit in the glovebox? That's where I prefer to have my radio as it can be completely put away until I'm in trip mode.

I have an AnyTone AT-778UV mounted in my glovebox. With a compact antenna plug, it'll just fit.

1709074380471.png

Yeah no LINX or Switchpros for me. I do have the rear fuse block wired to a relay so it only comes on when the engine is running (doesn’t even work in accessory mode, which is intentional because I want to charge the lithium power bank off it only when running).

I am planning to wire the HAM off the front fuse block which is always on though I may install an auto shutoff timer so I don’t forget and leave it on all night and drain the battery.
All the Yaesu radios Ive had, have had an auto shut off program in them. I usually set it at about 4 hours

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom