LC200 - OBD scanner code comes back with "small vacuum leak" (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.apexavs.com
Once every week or so, I get a few lights on the dash. I plug in my scanner, and it says I have a vacuum leak. "Small", or maybe it says "minor", but either way, I'm curious if this is a known issue, and if there is a kit or something that I can purchase to address it. She runs "fine", but if I can improve it, I'm interested. Kinda like PM, but after the fact. LOL.

What's the alphanumeric "P" code and verbatim text?

I haven't heard of this so far.. but that P code should cross over to the Tundra platform where there at multiples as many 5.7s for stuff like this to rear it's head.

I haven't heard of this so far.. but that P code should cross over to the Tundra platform where there at multiples as many 5.7s for stuff like this to rear it's head.
At time of posting, I haven't seen the error in several days, but I'll grab it ASAP.

Here's what I got yesterday.

Screenshot_20240105-201059.png

I found this on a Tundra forum:

P0456 - Evaporative Emissions System - Small leak detected
Article by Dale Toalston ASE Certified Technician
OBD-II Trouble Code Technical Description Evaporative Emissions System - Small leak detected
What does that mean?
The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) at different times performs various tests on the EVAP system. OBD II Enhanced EVAP systems are in place to keep fuel tank vapors from venting into the atmosphere, and instead purges them into the engine to be burned. Regular pressure tests are conducted by the PCM to monitor the sealed system for leaks. The PCM monitors the EVAP system pressure by watching the fuel tank pressure (FTP) sensor. When the sensor indicates a small leak in the EVAP system, this code is set.

Potential Symptoms
There will likely be no noticeable symptoms other than the Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL). This is because the EVAP system is a closed system and only controls fuel tank vapors, not engine management.

Causes
Usually this P0456 code is caused by an incorrect or faulty gas cap. Filling the fuel tank with the engine running could conceivable cause this code as well or if the cap wasn't properly tightened.

Any of the following could also be the cause:
A small leak in any of the EVAP hoses or fuel tank hoses
A small leak in the purge valve or vent valve
The EVAP Canister may be leaking

Possible Solutions
First, using a scan tool activate the vent solenoid, sealing the system. Then monitor the fuel tank pressure (FTP) sensor. If the system is sealing properly, the number will stay consistent. If is isn't, the pressure sensor will show that as well. If the system slowly leaks, use a smoke machine and watch for smoke exiting the system at any EVAP component. Any where there is smoke exiting the system, that is the faulty component. Do not pressurize the EVAP system with air pressure. Doing so can damage the purge and vent solenoids in the system.

So... replace your gas cap with a new one (OEM), drive for a while, and the code will probably go away for good.

BTW, is your Land Cruiser a 200 Series with the 5.7L V8?

HTH

So... replace your gas cap with a new one (OEM), drive for a while, and the code will probably go away for good.

HTH
This. Especially the part about Genuine Toyota fill cap.

HTH
Yes sir. I just got it this past summer.

PXL_20230708_235532961.jpg

This. Especially the part about Genuine Toyota fill cap.
Fill cap ordered, along with two outer tie rod ends. Fingers crossed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom