LC & LX470 Tesla Style Screen Radio Upgrade with Climate Control: General Discussions (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Has anyone had any A/C problems. I have no power for those functions. 2011 Buick Lacrosse
No issues on mine. Everthing works fine on the display controls. The hard ones don't work though.

This may seem like an of request, but I’m in the market for an Lx 470 and CarPlay has become an essential feature in my life.

So I’ve been researching aftermarket stereo options to be sure I can make CarPlay possible before buying a 470. My searching led me to this thread, which I’ve read all 19 pages of.

My question is, as wired CarPlay seems to work fine with the PX6 (though wireless would be awesome), is there a particular year and/or option package that makes the install of this PX6 easier? I’d be looking at 2006/2007vehicles ideally but I saw some mentions of 2007 models that were difficult?

I know it seems silly to base a purchase on an aftermarket radio but I figure at this stage I might as well look for what would be best all around.

Thanks in advance, I’ve really enjoyed this thread!
You would want to stick with an 06 that was made before Jan 30, 2006 to make life easier. At least somewhat easier regarding the extra airbag code.

Anyone played with the rear climate controls on this? Is it easy to turn on and off? And does it maintain the last state the car was in before it was last turned off?
Our expedition turns it off every time I restart the car and it’s a pain to turn back on

Anyone played with the rear climate controls on this? Is it easy to turn on and off? And does it maintain the last state the car was in before it was last turned off?
Our expedition turns it off every time I restart the car and it’s a pain to turn back on
You can only turn it on/off from the display.

IMSMR it keeps the last settings. lemme check when I get home.

Perfect, if it stays on/off I will be very happy

The AC will keep the last settings. if you left the AC on... it'll turn on when you start the truck.

And vice versa.

20200301_165637.jpg

I got borred.. LOL

20200301_165627.jpg

I'll clean it up and make it look better. I got this pic from the PO and flipped it.

Do you have any control of the background, which in the above post is a cityscape?

Hello IH8MUD,

I have a 2002 LX470 with AC and NAV buttons (my head unit), and I am hoping one of these Teslastyle radios is compatible with it. I have contacted multiple sellers on AliExpress, and have also recently reached out to ZhiFang. Every AliExpress seller has told me I will lose AC if I replace my head unit that has AC buttons with a Teslastyle head unit, and ZhiFang's website currently does not show a compatible head unit (ZhiFang store weblink).

I read several posts on this forum as well. In this post specifically, the OP wrote:

"The 2003 and older units are needing either another harness from the manufacturer or a few wire splices to work. There was a request for the "Top Model" wire harness for these truck to avoid splicing, but I cannot confirm its the final solution."
-Has a "Top Model" harness request been satisfied?

"I am hoping to write up a first draft of an installation guide for my experiences on a full amp replacement and am willing to share with others to alter for 2003 and older versions as well as ML integrations/tips/tricks. "
-I read the first draft of the installation guide, and am concerned because the pictures show the OEM head unit different from mine. This type of head unit is compatible with radios found on AliExpress. See picture for compatible head units and the only incompatible head unit (my head unit) as described by one AliExpress seller: Compatible and Incompatible head units

Please share your thoughts, information, and/or successful installations about 2002 LX470 with the same head unit as mine. Thank you guys!

ZDash - Houston, TX

Last edited:
Update:
I contacted four AliExpress Teslastyle sellers (maybe ZhiFang wholesale resllers using their own brand names?). Knowledge is power.. I'm trying to see the good in all this bad news.
Dch Store conversation
123auto Store conversation
Autostereo Store conversation
Peng GPS Store conversation

Then I went to to the source. I contacted Zhifang directly via WeChat. I had a a conversation with their representative Dora, and she shared some hopeful news with me. Then I gave her the link to this thread and asked her to pass it on to the ZhiFang CEO and engineers.

ZhiFang conversation

Update:
I contacted four AliExpress Teslastyle sellers (maybe ZhiFang wholesale resllers using their own brand names?). Knowledge is power.. I'm trying to see the good in all this bad news.
Dch Store conversation
123auto Store conversation
Autostereo Store conversation
Peng GPS Store conversation

Then I went to to the source. I contacted Zhifang directly via WeChat. I had a a conversation with their representative Dora, and she shared some hopeful news with me. Then I gave her the link to this thread and asked her to pass it on to the ZhiFang CEO and engineers.

ZhiFang conversation
Be very, very careful with AliExpress sellers. I was ripped off by AutoStereo to the tune of $600, and I do believe that most of the sellers are actually just different faces for the same company. I sent a defective unit back to them in China, using the exact address and names they told me to, but they claimed it never arrived and kept my money, basically taunting me with "what are you going to do about it?" because I had stupidly agreed to pay them through Paypal instead of AliExpress.

If you ever come across a representative from any of those companies who goes by the name Mike Huang, immediately run away -- he will use a persona of a female (such as "Dora") in the customer service chats, but he is the one who has stolen my money. Tell everyone you know.

Buy through phoenix automotive or RhinoRadio in the states to protect from this. Both have been great to deal with.

Buy through phoenix automotive or RhinoRadio in the states to protect from this. Both have been great to deal with.

Thanks for the tip!
I contacted Phoenix Automotive by email to inquire about the compatibility of my head unit for the conversion. They're closed now--I'll update upon their response.
As for RhinoRadio, according to their website, they do not offer 2002 LX470 model radios. They do however offer 2003-2007 (which I believe won't work in my 2002). They also offer Toyota LC100 1998-2002 model radios (link); however, if you scroll down, you'll see that these radios are not compatible with my vehicle as they only support OEM radios with manual AC controls (My headunit is does not have manual AC controls).

I'll clean it up and make it look better. I got this pic from the PO and flipped it.
I bet you can once you find the correct file. I'll look around.

Any luck with the 99 Nakamichi? Sorry if you have already replied.

Unfortunately I didn't have the best experience with RhinoRadios. I should have known better than to order something from China during the coronavirus craze.

I ordered the 1998-2002 LC/LX470 unit, and RhinoRadios told me my Nakamichi unit is compatible after i sent them not one, but severel photographs of my head unit and climate controls. A few weeks go by and I am asking them the status of my order. They ask me to resend them photographs of my HU/CC controls. I oblige. Then they tell me its not compatible. I cancelled my order for a full refund. This is one $500 risk I didn't want to take any longer. I applaud them for refunding the money very promptly.

I ended up settling for a 7'' Alpine head unit and bypassed my stock nakamichi amp. I used the factory wiring diagram for my car to help with the install. The sound quality is good and I and could easily upgrade the speakers/subwoofer/amplifier to a more modern system in the near future. Its also nice to have the audio system and climate controls seperate. I honestly think this is safer and more usable. Im not going to loose any sleep over not having a tesla screen.

I have a modern touch screen HU with Carplay and Andriod auto, bluetooth, and I am very happy with it. All for less than half the price.

That being said, had I been more persistent/ambitious and patient, I probably would have been able to install the 1998-2002 LC/LX470 unit in my LX with nakamichi using the same basic methods (I made a custom harness, painstakingly nonetheless).

Unfortunately I didn't have the best experience with RhinoRadios. I should have known better than to order something from China during the coronavirus craze.

I ordered the 1998-2002 LC/LX470 unit, and RhinoRadios told me my Nakamichi unit is compatible after i sent them not one, but severel photographs of my head unit and climate controls. A few weeks go by and I am asking them the status of my order. They ask me to resend them photographs of my HU/CC controls. I oblige. Then they tell me its not compatible. I cancelled my order for a full refund. This is one $500 risk I didn't want to take any longer. I applaud them for refunding the money very promptly.

I ended up settling for a 7'' Alpine head unit and bypassed my stock nakamichi amp. I used the factory wiring diagram for my car to help with the install. The sound quality is good and I and could easily upgrade the speakers/subwoofer/amplifier to a more modern system in the near future. Its also nice to have the audio system and climate controls seperate. I honestly think this is safer and more usable. Im not going to loose any sleep over not having a tesla screen.

I have a modern touch screen HU with Carplay and Andriod auto, bluetooth, and I am very happy with it. All for less than half the price.

That being said, had I been more persistent/ambitious and patient, I probably would have been able to install the 1998-2002 LC/LX470 unit in my LX with nakamichi using the same basic methods (I made a custom harness, painstakingly nonetheless).

Thanks for the update! My lx is finally arriving to Norway on Saturday after buying it in the US in September. Hopefully audio will be my only technical worry!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom