LC & LX470 Tesla Style Screen Radio Upgrade with Climate Control: General Discussions (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Can someone tell me if the internal tpms addon is a usb addon?

I’m wondering with most of these addon a, if it would be better to get order them separately on Amazon. It seems the prices from Rhino Radio are slightly higher than what you can find on amazon and the reviews for the pieces such as the wireless carplay addon seem less than stellar.

one more thing id like to add about the tesla screen.. or a few more connected things..
Sirius XM, downloaded the app, installed both on my phone and on my tablet. Rocks!
But if you don't blue tooth the signal to the tablet and decide to use the tablets version of spotify or xm or any audio related app, the sound is fathoms below the bluetooth sound and the quality overall is just ultra lacking. Some of you may have this worked out.. not sure it's an issue for anyone but I was confused a lot as to why my audio would sound really weak at times and it turned out to be the times when my bluetooth was off. Once it's on and I connect to apple car play, everything sounds amazing again. Relatively amazing that is. The local radio is a good example as well. My local radio stations sound descent as opposed to my xm or spoitify from the tablet. To be clear, from the tablet means i'm online via wifi or hot spot from my phone and using the tablets version of the same apps that are on my phone natively. So when I connect bluetooth and run those same apps, the sound is ten times better.

If anyone has wireless carplay working, please share how you set it up. My RR order included wireless carplay but I have yet to get it to work.

Thx in advance
Have you gone into the user settings (the ones that require the 8861 code) to adjust the volume levels for individual sources? I think that may be contributing to the difference in volume that you're hearing from one source to the next. It's useful for leveling out all of the various inputs so you don't have to turn the volume way up just to hear one source, only to get blasted when you switch to a different one.

Can't help with the Carplay issue, as I use an Android phone.

Did you connect yours directly to the Levinson amp? Have you noticed any drop in sound quality like @martianluther ?
My system is run through an external amp now, but when I first installed the Tesla screen radio it was connected to the Levinson amp, and I noticed a significant improvement in sound quality over the factory radio.

Has anyone seen this screen?
car auto is the android auto or car play if I’m not mistaken. When I plug in my phone it takes me to this page. Today the tablet asked me to connect to the internet. Then this page came up. I don’t know what we are missing here in order to get wireless android/apple connectivity. Anyone ??

it appears to be a few steps away from this page but what is the QR code doing? My phone doesn’t make sense when I scan it and I’d hate to download some bugs or crap that gives the manufacturer access to my digital privacy.
Still working on this. Maybe rhino or some knows how to navigate??

7BD25EF5-B29C-4450-95BC-BF9C1DE0C060.jpeg

Not on mine

Did anyone buy the Rhino Radios Internal TPMS system? I'm skeptical it's any good, but would love to be wrong on this. They also appear to be hard coded to the tire, which will be problematic during rotations. Does the interface let you reassign location?

Did anyone buy the Rhino Radios Internal TPMS system? I'm skeptical it's any good, but would love to be wrong on this. They also appear to be hard coded to the tire, which will be problematic during rotations. Does the interface let you reassign location?

Oh, good catch. I’ve been curious about this addon as well. I like the idea of external but then fear someone would just steal my caps
Also curious if it is a usb addon.

When I’m connected via usb there is no problem with CarPlay. When I unplug the cable from my phone it’s waiting for connection. When I click the help button this screen comes up with instructions about using Bluetooth but the name “HU” that’s supposed to show up in my Bluetooth list never appears so I can’t connect CarPlay wirelessly.

ADD3732B-748C-4695-ADB9-D618220F3503.jpeg

F42C4616-A29D-46D5-AF73-3B1A5467A341.jpeg

FABB58A8-7C98-475D-A101-7F3B9598105C.jpeg

image.jpg

Late response here, but I did this. Mounting the camera on the inside of the car. On the top center of the rear window - there's a piece of moulding that runs across the whole back. Drilled right in the middle and ran wires down and to the head unit. It isn't messed up by snow/dirt and have full viewing access to whats outside - even above my bike rack.

Recommend for easy installation and weather resistance. Also, no holes in the body itself.

View attachment 2115469
genius!!

Hi! Thanks a lot for the guide and work! I am sorry if this has been written before, but I have tried to search the threads about the screen.

Does it fit LX470 99 with Nakamichi?

This seems to fit according to the ad, but no reply from the seller. Thank you!
I have a 1999 LX with the nakamichi system and they told me that IS COMPATIBLE. I have purchased the unit and am waiting for it to arrive. will let you know how the install goes.

I installed an aftermarket amplifier during the radio install as my ML factory amp took a dump.
Teach me, master! Did you have to use a DSP (digital sound processor) along with the amp or just the amp? Also, did you run all new wiring or bought some sort of a harness?

Passing on an update I got from Rhino Radios. I ordered my unit on January 17th.
At the time production was stopped for Chinese new year. Now it seems production is still stopped because of corona virus.

Vanessa F (Rhino Radios)
Jan 17, 12:38 EST
Hello Albert,
Currently, Chinese New Year is going on so production on your unit will not start until Feb 1st.
Since you did get expedited shipping, you should receive it by mid-Feb.
You should get a tracking number once its done in production.
Thanks,
John
-------------------------------------------
Vanessa F (Rhino Radios)
Feb 5, 12:51 EST
I am sorry, production has stopped due to the Corona-virus and is currently looking to pick up in mid February 9th.
Best,
Rhino Radios

Passing on an update I got from Rhino Radios. I ordered my unit on January 17th.
At the time production was stopped for Chinese new year. Now it seems production is still stopped because of corona virus.

Vanessa F (Rhino Radios)
Jan 17, 12:38 EST
Hello Albert,
Currently, Chinese New Year is going on so production on your unit will not start until Feb 1st.
Since you did get expedited shipping, you should receive it by mid-Feb.
You should get a tracking number once its done in production.
Thanks,
John
-------------------------------------------
Vanessa F (Rhino Radios)
Feb 5, 12:51 EST
I am sorry, production has stopped due to the Corona-virus and is currently looking to pick up in mid February 9th.
Best,
Rhino Radios

Following up on this after a dozen or more emails back and forth with Rhino Radios today. I don't know if they have someone different answering their email every-time but this Rhino Radio place is terrible. I'd stay away from them.
I still want to go this route for a replacement for the factory nav but not with them.
They are insisting on an order number that I never got, only email I got after my order was asking for a picture of my current nav so they could make sure I received the proper unit. Then another email saying thanks for the photos and my order was updated.
Then of course the above emails after I asked for a status.
I've posted both the initial emails below. I will of-course be taking this up with PayPal/Credit card which clearly shows my purchase.
I'll give Phoenix Automotive my business now, see how that goes.

Rhino Radios no-reply@bonify.io via sendgrid.me
Thu, Jan 16, 12:04 PM
to me
Hello Albert,
Thank you for choosing Rhino Radios! In order to process your order correctly, please take a picture of your factory radio with climate control and email it to us. Please include the model year as well.
If you do not have your factory radio installed, please take a picture of your climate control and let us know if it comes with factory upgraded sound system or basic sound system.
Thank you very much!
Rhino Radios
---------------------------
Vanessa F (Rhino Radios)
Jan 16, 15:26 EST
Thank you for the information and photos.
I have updated your order.
Please keep your eye out for secondary email with tracking information.
Best,
Vanessa

PSA: Phoenix is having a massive sale on the lx470 PX6 fast boot with android 9. These are listed as Android 9 OS and fastboot which is an upgrade over the Android 8.1 at Rhino. I have been told fast boot time is 10 seconds. They are currently priced $50 cheaper than Rhino and a discount code as well with up to 30% off addons and free shipping.

LX470 2003-2007 PX6 Android 9.0

I asked them about delays since this is a question given the impact of Coronavirus. They said their manufacturing is still operational, but is slower because some of the workforce can't make it to the factory. They said it has impacted manufacturing by slowing things down by 5 days. This means turnaround on production has gone from 15 days to 20 days. So if you place an order now you should receive a tracking number in about 20 days, and then you should receive it 3 to 5 days later.

I do want to comment on customer service experiences between the two companies. I have called both companies asking questions. Both companies have been extremely helpful in helping to learn more about their products and have been very patient with me even though I am just asking questions and not ordering anything.

Last edited:
PSA: Phoenix is having a massive sale on the lx470 PX6 fast boot with android 9. Priced $50 cheaper than Rhino and a discount code as well with up to 30% off addons and free shipping.

LX470 2003-2007 PX6 Android 9.0

Excellent!
I've got an 04 LC100. I'll reach out to them for compatibility.

also have issues with engine interference, buzzing etc. The volume, even at 1, is pretty loud. I read the thread that advised to reinstall old unit, turn volume down all the way, then reinstall PX6. Has anyone tried this fix? thanks again

Did you ever resolve the buzzing and ignition noise? I had super low volume until we hacked into the factory amp wire...but I have buzzing. Thanks

OK - I went to Best Buy to help install the PX6 in my '06 LC. The kid at BB said I an come back as often as I like for the next year for a flat $200. This will also work for pulling my old CD changer, installing the backup camera, and running the wires for the dash cam, etc.

I've just finished re-reading all 18 pages of this thread.

I have a bunch of questions:

1) Di everyone's audio work straightaway without having to splice anything? We had little for sound until we jumped the factory black/red amp power wire to the blue PX6 amp wire. Everything was way too loud until I found the sliders in INSTALL SET.

2) Who else had the buzzing and ignition noise? Is this related to jumping that wire? I pretty easily got to the Chinese dude at Phoenix who told me to adjust the CUR_AMP, but in that menu all the stuff is greyed out and useless...maybe for LX Only?

3) Is anyone running a USB hub to allow a DVR and an external Hard Drive AND the iphone in the OTG port to run the fake Chinese carplay app?

4) Be very careful - the INSTALL SET choices that appear to allow your to get rid of the startup Lambo can also kill your HVAC...ask me how I know. I did regain HVAC and have a LC startup pic now.

5) For the various fake gauges - Speed, mileage, range, RPM - is all that picked up off a wifi OBD plug?

6) In case you didn't find it...the top app ribbon scrolls to give you more app and system control options.

Everything else seems to be working OK - I can going to DL the apps previously suggested in the thread. If I can get rid of the buzzing, I'll be stoked. And get the rear speakers working.

Thanks

Oh, one more software suggestion I didn't notice here. I use MAPS.ME on my iphone - you can DL offline maps for everywhere in the world and use when you're out of cell range. I guess you can cache google maps, but this is a pretty good backup in case the GM cache file fills up and something important gets overwritten. YMMV Happy Motoring.

When I’m connected via usb there is no problem with CarPlay. When I unplug the cable from my phone it’s waiting for connection. When I click the help button this screen comes up with instructions about using Bluetooth but the name “HU” that’s supposed to show up in my Bluetooth list never appears so I can’t connect CarPlay wirelessly.

View attachment 2200620

I'm pretty sure that "HU" is just an acronym for Head Unit -- the instruction is telling you to "Connect iPhone to Head Unit over Bluetooth, then click [Use CarPlay]"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom