LC 200 : Restoring factory ECU params (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello everyone,

I own a 2012 Land Cruiser 200.

I made a costly mistake changing factory exhaust to a terrible (direct) one.

During the process of fitting this buggy exhaust the garage had to change some parameters on the ECU.

Without this change on the ECU the vehicule was rejecting heavy white fumes. From what i understand this white fume is because above certain engine operating temperatures the vehicule is configured to burn what has been accumulated inside the factory catalytic converter (removed).

I have restored the whole factory exhaust thru a Toyota Dealer but i need to restore the factory ECU params too and they say they can't help me. According to them only the person that has changed the params can do it (from a backup file before modification).

I found it very strange the a Toyota Dealer does not have the tools to make what a small, unqualified garage can.

Does anyone here knows if its true ?

What secure option do i have to restore this ECU to its original parameters ?

This whole adventure taught me a lesson not to mess with a modern vehicule.

Thank you in advance,

Sincerely

I’m not familiar with the process of flashing an ECU, but surely the dealer can install a new one and so restore operating parameters?

Thank you for your response. Well that is the question, the dealer tells me they cannot.
How odd. Just to be clear, I didn’t mean new firmware on the existing ECU, I meant an entirely new ECU. Surely those can be ordered as a new part and installed by a dealer? Although rare, there must be times when an ECU fails or is damaged and has to be replaced as a complete unit?

How odd. Just to be clear, I didn’t mean new firmware on the existing ECU, I meant an entirely new ECU. Surely those can be ordered as a new part and installed by a dealer? Although rare, there must be times when an ECU fails or is damaged and has to be replaced as a complete unit?

I agree. I can completely understand why a Toyota dealer either can't or won't re-flash an ECU that has been "hacked" by some unknown third party, but it should be an easy (but expensive) matter to simply replace the ECU.

HTH

Sure i could order a new ECU but it seem overkill for a software issue.

Sure i could order a new ECU but it seem overkill for a software issue.
Maybe? The dealer generally has to guarantee their work, and has no idea whether what the tuner did caused harm to the ecu.

A lot dealers and larger shops will not touch ECU stuff like that due to EPA regulations. The EPA has come down HARD on tuners and modifying anything related to emissions. It would not surprise me at all if a dealer won't even touch an ECU that has been reprogrammed. Not to mention, liability of them reflashing it, bricking it, and now having to purchase a new ECU for you.

A lot dealers and larger shops will not touch ECU stuff like that due to EPA regulations. The EPA has come down HARD on tuners and modifying anything related to emissions. It would not surprise me at all if a dealer won't even touch an ECU that has been reprogrammed. Not to mention, liability of them reflashing it, bricking it, and now having to purchase a new ECU for you.
The OP is in France.

The OP is in France.
The EU still has emissions rules, just different than the US. Dieselgate wasn’t just a US thing, VW got smacked down in the EU too :)

@electronParis I believe the introduction of DPF in the exhaust came about in the 2012 model year for Euro 5 emission requirement. DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter)

If so this make sense as to it performing the way it currently does. I suggest getting onto the 200 series Facebook page and post your question there. That page is mostly Aussies who have firsthand knowledge of DPF and deleting it and how to have a tune done to alleviate the issues that comes with deleting the DPF. They’re a very helpful and insightful group.

It's a long shot, but can you go back to the original installer? Perhaps they know what parameter(s) they changed and can reset them?
Well thank you everybody, i finally managed to contact the tuner and he restored the original backup file of the ECU. Lesson learned i will never try that again.

What i find very dishonest is that any tuner should tell you that :

- It can go wrong and you can have to buy a new ECU
- Toyota Dealership cannot restore original software on the ECU
- Give you the original .bin file + the software used for the modification (in case you cannot contact the tuner)

What i understand here is that tunning a vehicule is totally sketchy. Can be interesting only if its a hobby car meant for that.

Last edited:
The EU still has emissions rules, just different than the US. Dieselgate wasn’t just a US thing, VW got smacked down in the EU too :)
Yes, i don't know the details but we also have strict european-wide emissions regulations, my vehicule is under EURO5 (2009). The major change introduced then is that every diesel car must have a DPF.

@electronParis I believe the introduction of DPF in the exhaust came about in the 2012 model year for Euro 5 emission requirement. DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter)

If so this make sense as to it performing the way it currently does. I suggest getting onto the 200 series Facebook page and post your question there. That page is mostly Aussies who have firsthand knowledge of DPF and deleting it and how to have a tune done to alleviate the issues that comes with deleting the DPF. They’re a very helpful and insightful group.

Oh great thank you for the information

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom