Multiple tunes on factory ecu ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Can anyone tell me if it's possible to run multiple tunes with a factory ecu ?
The reason I ask is I'm fitting an Inter chiller and if it's possible, I'd like to flick a switch and change the tune to suit, when the chiller is in use.
My Cruiser is supercharged and uses a air to liquid intercooler , which I'm keeping. I'm adding the chiller but it will be isolated when not in use, as I don't want to have the AC compressor running non stop but , I would like to take full advantage of the chiller and change tune on the fly , when the chiller is engaged, if it's possible ?

The reason I ask is I'm fitting an Inter chiller and if it's possible, I'd like to flick a switch and change the tune to suit, when the chiller is in use.
My Cruiser is supercharged and uses an air to liquid intercooler , which I'm keeping. I'm adding the chiller but it will be isolated when not in use, as I don't want to have the AC compressor running non stop but , I would like to take full advantage of the chiller and change tune on the fly , when the chiller is engaged, if it's possible ?
Technically yes. There’s a company in Australia that does it, both engine and transmission when you select ECT PWR… Roberts I think though I think the engine tune is only for the diesel.

I believe there’s a recent thread on a US company (OVtune?) which can change the map on the Tundra based on whether tow mode is activated too but not sure they have an LC option for that feature. They do have an LC tune though

I’m wayyyy too forgetful for this “feature”, personally. 100% chance I’d hurt the engine eventually.

But it’s an interesting concept.

My Cruiser is supercharged and uses a air to liquid intercooler , which I'm keeping. I'm adding the chiller but it will be isolated when not in use, as I don't want to have the AC compressor running non stop but , I would like to take full advantage of the chiller and change tune on the fly , when the chiller is engaged, if it's possible ?
Wouldnt the existing tune take care of the any changes that need to be made? The only major difference will be a the temperature of the charge air and the IAT sensor as well as the KCLV and Knock Feedback should be able to adjust timing to compensate

I dont think the interchiller will increase air mass, since its cooling the air charge after it has already passed through the supercharger. So its purely a timing thing.

So its purely a timing thing.
We can all agree that timing is critical when we’re asking this much extra power of an engine while staying reliable. IAT won’t know what an interchiller does downstream of it, and KCLV requires some amount of detectable knock before it can adjust, which is arguably not as good for engine health as having a tune that stays away from knock in the first place.

We can all agree that timing is critical when we’re asking this much extra power of an engine while staying reliable. IAT won’t know what an interchiller does downstream of it, and KCLV requires some amount of detectable knock before it can adjust, which is arguably not as good for engine health as having a tune that stays away from knock in the first place.
The Harrop kit relocates the IAT sensor to the supercharger manifold. There is a pigtail in the kit that breaks out the IAT sensor wires and runs them to a sensor on the supercharger itself. It will know what the charge air temp is.

But assuming you were right, and the tune changed absolutely nothing, the Interchiller would make things safer because you have colder charge air which means the same timing would be further from knock.

KCLV and KF push the timing to the limit of knock anyways. Its always hunting for peak timing for efficiency and power, thats why its there.

The Harrop kit relocates the IAT sensor to the supercharger manifold. There is a pigtail in the kit that breaks out the IAT sensor wires and runs them to a sensor on the supercharger itself. It will know what the charge air temp is.

That’s good to know.

KCLV and KF push the timing to the limit of knock anyways. Its always hunting for peak timing for efficiency and power, thats why its there.

Is that necessarily the case with an aftermarket or custom tune developed for SC on a given vehicle?

That’s good to know.

Is that necessarily the case with an aftermarket or custom tune developed for SC on a given vehicle?

I’m not sure how you would turn off kclv/kf.

A custom tune may optimize timing a bit but at the end of the day KCLV and KF should optimize timing in real time.

I self tuned my f150 Ecoboost and they had a similar system with Learned Octane and Knock Retard. Basically average and instant knock adjustment. That thing was dead on all the time with no adjustment to the spark tables and I ran anywhere from 87 to 96 octane. It could add 4* or subtract 7* of timing on the fly and the Learned Octane could add or subtract another 5*.

I believe Knock Feedback on the Toyotas can retard timing like 14* on the fly.

I’m not sure how you would turn off kclv/kf.

A custom tune may optimize timing a bit but at the end of the day KCLV and KF should optimize timing in real time.

I self tuned my f150 Ecoboost and they had a similar system with Learned Octane and Knock Retard. Basically average and instant knock adjustment. That thing was dead on all the time with no adjustment to the spark tables and I ran anywhere from 87 to 96 octane. It could add 4* or subtract 7* of timing on the fly and the Learned Octane could add or subtract another 5*.

I believe Knock Feedback on the Toyotas can retard timing like 14* on the fly.
Thanks for the knowledge

If you read the VFtuners PDF (https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0885/5830/files/Toyota_Gen1_Tuning_Guide.pdf?v=1704226372) it implies there's a lot of stuff you can do with an NA tune. Feel free to debate the impact to engine longevity etc of course, but KCLV is just one parameter used in the final timing calculation so I wouldn't say that KCLV will ensure you always have optimal performance so much as it will ensure you have optimal timing within the bounds set.

1710699206611.png

The reason why adapting this for ECT PWR only would be useful is that you can set VVTi cam timing and other parameters for a specific scenario.

1710699274050.png

The Tundra tow-specific mode setting info is here: https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0...BE_2018_EROM_Patch_Version_1.pdf?v=1704226395. Someone would need to reach out to VFTuner to see is it's adaptable to the LC/LX as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom