Largest *deflated* tire in spare location? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So I had to pull the spare out today, a 265/70R17, and it was a complete pain in the butt. Yes, it fit. Yes, I could get it back in there after I had swapped them. Would I want to do this on a trail? Absolutely not.

Reactions: r2m
So I had to pull the spare out today, a 265/70R17, and it was a complete pain in the butt. Yes, it fit. Yes, I could get it back in there after I had swapped them. Would I want to do this on a trail? Absolutely not.
You'll have a line of Taco owners following you down the trail hoping you get a flat. :rofl:

I can verify that an inflated 265/70r17 will fit with a factory trailer hitch IF you have sway bar spacers.

Last edited:
Just did this on the trail in Canyonlands NP. It wasn't that bad IMO, at least on a dry sandy track. In the mud would have been a different story.

~ 31.5" 245/75-17 with the Curt Class 3 Hitch.; 1 inch rear lift, no kdss spacers. Fully Inflated..

Just wanted to add my experience. I have a 2" rear lift, KDSS spacers and the Class 3 hitch. With the hitch removed I was able to STUFF a 265/70r18 tire up there. Did not hit sway bar in normal driving, but when I stuff the rear tire - the tire rubbed on the KDSS piston (arm?) whatever. Removed the tire and am now looking for a new solution. Have it strapped in the trunk for the time being. I miss my Tacoma - had a 33 under the bed in the stock location with room to spare!

Just wanted to add my experience. I have a 2" rear lift, KDSS spacers and the Class 3 hitch. With the hitch removed I was able to STUFF a 265/70r18 tire up there. Did not hit sway bar in normal driving, but when I stuff the rear tire - the tire rubbed on the KDSS piston (arm?) whatever. Removed the tire and am now looking for a new solution. Have it strapped in the trunk for the time being. I miss my Tacoma - had a 33 under the bed in the stock location with room to spare!
Tons of room on the Tacoma. I think if you relocated the hoist an inch towards the rear and cut the exhaust hanger off the frame a 34” might fit.

Tons of room on the Tacoma. I think if you relocated the hoist an inch towards the rear and cut the exhaust hanger off the frame a 34” might fit.

yup. i've had a couple tacomas. full size spare under both with no issues. definitely a downside of the GX

Just encountered this issue when pulling my spare (265/70/17) real pain in the *** getting it out.
It will not be going back up there.

What are the chances I can fit a SL rated 275/65/18 fully inflated with the Curt hitch?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom