Larger tire- higher speed/ lower speed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
i've got a question that i've never really gotten a clear answer on and it may seem very simple if you think about but i just want someone who knows to tell me, will larger tires on a cruiser makes it acceleration faster or slower and will its highway speed be faster or slower. now i've got an 82 and i realize with the 3.70 gears the larger tires may make it slower but i just want a solid answer....

[quote author=Cruiserhead05 link=board=1;threadid=4360;start=msg32565#msg32565 date=1061042990]
i've got a question that i've never really gotten a clear answer on and it may seem very simple if you think about but i just want someone who knows to tell me, will larger tires on a cruiser makes it acceleration faster or slower and will its highway speed be faster or slower. now i've got an 82 and i realize with the 3.70 gears the larger tires may make it slower but i just want a solid answer....
[/quote]

larger tires will accelerate slower but have a higher top end highway speed. Basicly by going to bigger(taller) tire you are changing the effective gear ratio. On your 82 with 3.70's going to a 33" tire would be like now having 3.30(or something like that) gears.

Hope this makes sense.

FWIW I run 33x9.5 on a pair of 82 fj40, for the use I use em for(work/daily drivers) I find the 33's and 3.70 to be a very nice combo, still IMOP plenty of power off the line and good highway speed.

On my fj60 with 33's I did swap to 4.10's, but it's a much heavier Cruiser, I find the 4.10 and 33 combo to be just right

John H

I see it a different way. Speed is measured in MPH. Therefore your larger tires will increase the distance travelled (according to speedo calibration and circumference of wheel) and thus lower your MPH. So I vote lower speed reading(on speedo) but actually travelling a higher speed(in relation to speedometer).

Archie has it.

With a taller-than-stock tire, a vehicle will be traveling farther and faster than indicated. Conversly, a vehicle with shorter-than-stock tires with travel slower and not as far as indicated.

An example would be going from a 27 inch to a 30 inch tire (say a 235 to a 31x10.50). that is an increase of 10%. Therefore, the vehicle will travel 10% farther and 10% faster than indicated by the speedo.

8)

I cured the top speed problem with 35s.
Solved the acceleration problem with a V8.
Solved the speedo problem by throwing out the cable.
[move]HAHAHAHAHAHA[/move]

hammerhead has the perfect solution

[quote author=cruiserdan link=board=1;threadid=4360;start=msg32582#msg32582 date=1061051089]
Archie has it.
[/quote]

You all have it right!

Solved the speedo problem by throwing out the cable.

I should do the same. Instead I play the mental correction game: My pickup speedo records 4.5 miles for every 5 miles I travel. (I check it against the speed check markers on the interstate.) That's 90% of actual, so every time I look at the speedo I have to subtract 10% from an actual speed and see if it's about what I read. (Or I add 11% to the reading - ask me why I dare ya.) Just the sort of thing for a brain like mine. Can't see the forest for the trees! :p

[quote author=archie link=board=1;threadid=4360;start=msg32575#msg32575 date=1061048000]
I see it a different way. Speed is measured in MPH. Therefore your larger tires will increase the distance travelled (according to speedo calibration and circumference of wheel) and thus lower your MPH. So I vote lower speed reading(on speedo) but actually travelling a higher speed(in relation to speedometer).
[/quote]

so whats the matter with my expanation? it's how it works......and in in terms that I can understand, who cares if you travel further, in reality.....what happens is exactly what I said. Read the original question!
"will larger tires on a cruiser makes it acceleration faster or slower and will its highway speed be faster or slower. now i've got an 82 and i realize with the 3.70 gears the larger tires may make it slower"

I answered it exactly the way he was looking for.......don't get me or the poster confused, you never touched on the real question, you are correct, but not right :flipoff2:

John H

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom