Larger tire- higher speed/ lower speed

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by Cruiserhead05, Aug 16, 2003.

1. Cruiserhead05

Cruiserhead05

i've got a question that i've never really gotten a clear answer on and it may seem very simple if you think about but i just want someone who knows to tell me, will larger tires on a cruiser makes it acceleration faster or slower and will its highway speed be faster or slower. now i've got an 82 and i realize with the 3.70 gears the larger tires may make it slower but i just want a solid answer....

2. Landpimp

Landpimp GOLD Star

Media:
    [quote author=Cruiserhead05 link=board=1;threadid=4360;start=msg32565#msg32565 date=1061042990]
    i've got a question that i've never really gotten a clear answer on and it may seem very simple if you think about but i just want someone who knows to tell me, will larger tires on a cruiser makes it acceleration faster or slower and will its highway speed be faster or slower. now i've got an 82 and i realize with the 3.70 gears the larger tires may make it slower but i just want a solid answer....
    [/quote]

larger tires will accelerate slower but have a higher top end highway speed. Basicly by going to bigger(taller) tire you are changing the effective gear ratio. On your 82 with 3.70's going to a 33" tire would be like now having 3.30(or something like that) gears.

Hope this makes sense.

FWIW I run 33x9.5 on a pair of 82 fj40, for the use I use em for(work/daily drivers) I find the 33's and 3.70 to be a very nice combo, still IMOP plenty of power off the line and good highway speed.

On my fj60 with 33's I did swap to 4.10's, but it's a much heavier Cruiser, I find the 4.10 and 33 combo to be just right

John H

3. archie

archie

I see it a different way. Speed is measured in MPH. Therefore your larger tires will increase the distance travelled (according to speedo calibration and circumference of wheel) and thus lower your MPH. So I vote lower speed reading(on speedo) but actually travelling a higher speed(in relation to speedometer).

4. cruiserdan

cruiserdan SupportingVendor Emeritus Moderator

Land Cruiser Heritage Museum broom closet
    Archie has it.

With a taller-than-stock tire, a vehicle will be traveling farther and faster than indicated. Conversly, a vehicle with shorter-than-stock tires with travel slower and not as far as indicated.

An example would be going from a 27 inch to a 30 inch tire (say a 235 to a 31x10.50). that is an increase of 10%. Therefore, the vehicle will travel 10% farther and 10% faster than indicated by the speedo.

8)

5. hammerhead

hammerhead

I cured the top speed problem with 35s.
    Solved the acceleration problem with a V8.
    Solved the speedo problem by throwing out the cable.
    [move]HAHAHAHAHAHA[/move]

6. lndcrzr71

lndcrzr71

hammerhead has the perfect solution

7. customcruiser

customcruiser Old Member

8. theo

theo

[quote author=cruiserdan link=board=1;threadid=4360;start=msg32582#msg32582 date=1061051089]
    Archie has it.
    [/quote]

You all have it right!

I should do the same. Instead I play the mental correction game: My pickup speedo records 4.5 miles for every 5 miles I travel. (I check it against the speed check markers on the interstate.) That's 90% of actual, so every time I look at the speedo I have to subtract 10% from an actual speed and see if it's about what I read. (Or I add 11% to the reading - ask me why I dare ya.) Just the sort of thing for a brain like mine. Can't see the forest for the trees! :p

9. Landpimp

Landpimp GOLD Star

Media:
    [quote author=archie link=board=1;threadid=4360;start=msg32575#msg32575 date=1061048000]
    I see it a different way. Speed is measured in MPH. Therefore your larger tires will increase the distance travelled (according to speedo calibration and circumference of wheel) and thus lower your MPH. So I vote lower speed reading(on speedo) but actually travelling a higher speed(in relation to speedometer).
    [/quote]

so whats the matter with my expanation? it's how it works......and in in terms that I can understand, who cares if you travel further, in reality.....what happens is exactly what I said. Read the original question!
    "will larger tires on a cruiser makes it acceleration faster or slower and will its highway speed be faster or slower. now i've got an 82 and i realize with the 3.70 gears the larger tires may make it slower"

I answered it exactly the way he was looking for.......don't get me or the poster confused, you never touched on the real question, you are correct, but not right :flipoff2:

John H

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.