Koso slim water temp gauge install (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Long term thoughts on this Koso? Going to install one of these with this 80 series 1FZ Upper Coolant Outlet- Modified from Joey at some point.
Even though I sold my 80, it was to a co-worker. Still running great. I like Joey's approach better as my cuts weren't great and had small leak from where I cut the tube and put the adapter doohickey in.

Even though I sold my 80, it was to a co-worker. Still running great. I like Joey's approach better as my cuts weren't great and had small leak from where I cut the tube and put the adapter doohickey in.
Side note I think mentioned in this thread, the display is bright! If you don't like that much light from a display driving at night, I would have probably put a flim tint strip over it or maybe spray tint as the one I have isnt dimmable (to my knowldege). I had originally tried tieing in to the dimmer dial, that didnt work. (Im probably just a maroon though)

Side note I think mentioned in this thread, the display is bright! If you don't like that much light from a display driving at night, I would have probably put a flim tint strip over it or maybe spray tint as the one I have isnt dimmable (to my knowldege). I had originally tried tieing in to the dimmer dial, that didnt work. (Im probably just a maroon though)
Good to know, I am also a large maroon. The tint film tape sounds much more my speed

Three years in, my Koso is working great. Tint in place, too. The only issue I had was the display flashing (indicating over-temp condition). Turns out it was a pinched wire grounding out the gauge.

3 yrs in with zero problem..
uYmQwTG.jpg

Roughly two years of use on mine installed in the same location, I do find it reads lower there than the OEM sensor (Roughly 10-12F cooler)

Roughly two years of use on mine installed in the same location, I do find it reads lower there than the OEM sensor (Roughly 10-12F cooler)
OEM sensor?

OEM sensor?

Yes the one that the ECU is seeing, I monitor the factory sensor with OBD1 dongle and App and have the Koso gauge as well.

Love mine. I opted for red because I had lasik 13 years ago and blue lights at night are just a big blue blur now. The red isn't too bright either.

Installed mine onto the big hose about four years ago, no leaks and still going. I assume that the reading is accurate but don't know for certain.

I just wanted to update this thread with some new information i found. I just bought this kit to install on my truck and it seems that a change to the temp sensor has been made.

The temp sensor in this kit now uses a different thread pitch from what was listed by the OP in post #8.

The threads on this sensor are now 1/8 inch, by 28 threads per inch Whitworth BSPT, not, i repeat not, SAE 1/8 inch by 27 threads per inch NPT pipe threads.

Now for a word of warning, this new Whitworth threaded sensor will screw into a hole threaded with a 1/8X27 NPT tap. But since the thread pitch is off by 1 thread per inch, and this sensor uses a different thread angle (55 Degree versus 60 degree for NPT) i wouldn't recommend it.

Below is a link to where you can buy the correct BSPT tap.

I thought about using the Koso but went with a setup that fits in the switch blank instead. Although with this route it's a bit off to the side. Not near the gauges is a negative.
View attachment 2312775
definitely a negative IMO. put the gauge closer to the cluster so i can see it without having to look for it. The lower factory switch location i am using for other accessories.

definitely a negative IMO. put the gauge closer to the cluster so i can see it without having to look for it. The lower factory switch location i am using for other accessories.
I use it for a transmission temp sensor. So I only really look at it when im pulling steep grades with a trailer.

I just wanted to update this thread with some new information i found. I just bought this kit to install on my truck and it seems that a change to the temp sensor has been made.

The temp sensor in this kit now uses a different thread pitch from what was listed by the OP in post #8.

The threads on this sensor are now 1/8 inch, by 28 threads per inch Whitworth BSPT, not, i repeat not, SAE 1/8 inch by 27 threads per inch NPT pipe threads.

Now for a word of warning, this new Whitworth threaded sensor will screw into a hole threaded with a 1/8X27 NPT tap. But since the thread pitch is off by 1 thread per inch, and this sensor uses a different thread angle (55 Degree versus 60 degree for NPT) i wouldn't recommend it.

Below is a link to where you can buy the correct BSPT tap.

Where did you order the gauge and sensor from? When I ordered one a few years ago they offered multiple sensors with different threads.

Edit: it looks like they still sell the sensor with a variety of thread options.
https://kosonorthamerica.com/product/temperature-sensor-black-connector/

Where did you order the gauge and sensor from? When I ordered one a few years ago they offered multiple sensors with different threads.

Edit: it looks like they still sell the sensor with a variety of thread options.
Temperature Sensor (0-150°C - 32-248°F) - with Black Connector - https://kosonorthamerica.com/product/temperature-sensor-black-connector/
I ordered my gauge kit from Dennis Kirk Koso North America, my sensor came as part of a complete kit for $44.95.

That list of sensors you linked to are replacement sensors at a cost of $12.95 each that's over and above the $49.95 cost for the complete gauge and sensor kit from Koso North America.com.

One other thing i noticed about that list of sensors that you linked to, even on that list they don't offer a 1/8X27 NPT pipe thread sensor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom