Knuckle rebuild? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
From a novice, beginner, hope to be somewhat competent mechanic someday.
I was looking over my newly acquired 1968 fj40 to determine what are the "have to do's" before I get to the "what I would like to do's" and noticed this piece of rubber on front passanger side wheel knuckle.

I'm assuming something needs to be rebuilt.
I went on FAQ and did some reading and other threads to begin my education.
I went on some websites of parts suppliers and saw various kits available to rebuild knuckles.
Some were just gasket and seal kits. Others were knuckle overhaul kits. Some had bearings included and others didn't.
I didn't see any companies that listed kits for a 1968. The closest model was a 1969 that didn't include the bearings.

Any suggestions about what route I should take?
If I'm going to go into it that far to change a rubber seal makes sense to replace other parts?

Thanks for the help.
RC

View attachment 1630374

FJ40_knuckle.JPG

That is what’s left of the wiper seals. If you’re going to tear into it I would do the bearing for sure.
I don’t know if there’s a difference between 68 and 69, but I would call cruiser outfitters they will hook you up with the right kit/parts.

100 and something dollars for a kit to rebuild both knuckles, s*** im gunna do it, this thing is half a century old!

Riley (@UZJ40) and @allan man rebuilt mine for me, under my supervision :cool:, when I first bought 44.

There are good YouTube videos to walk you thru it... Be sure to pay attention to how stuff comes apart (the order), especially the shims... So you can put it all back together correctly...

Make sure you have the torque specs available, along with a torque wrench and USE it.

You'll need about a year's worth of rolls of shop towels... And a box of disposable gloves... It's a YUGE mess waiting to happen!!

... And most importantly... Enjoy yourself and try to stay sober until you've properly torqued everything. :beer:

Last edited:
thanks for the heads up on the YouTubes. Alot of my projects either start there or I end up going there somewhere along the line.
I'll take the rest of the advice as well.
I knew I'd be getting some new tools with this project.
Been looking forward to this but will admit when I start reading the various threads it's get a bit overwhelming but a little bit at a time.
Thanks again

50mm Hub socket. Earlier spindle nuts are smaller. I'm in the middle of rebuilding my '68 knuckles.

Welcome to the community & post some pictures of your 68.

Special tools are used to align the knuckle and to set the trunion bearings pre-load from the factory. So, don’t tear it apart without keeping track of the shims. Each knuckle has a set of shims unique to each trunion bearing; there’s one set for the top bearing and one set for the bottom bearing. If you don’t keep track of them, you’ll be rebuilding the knuckles again before you know it.

Don't know how many times I've torn stuff apart only to wish I'd taken a picture or two first.
Many pics for sure. Wife and I just finished a very different first time venture. Reupholstered a chair for daughter. Lots of pics saw us through to the end.

Special tools? Like what and where can they be purchased? Am I going to break the bank on buying tools doing this myself?
Will take note of each piece I take off and once I get started most likely be back with many more questions

Last edited:
Many pics for sure. Wife and I just finished a very different first time venture. Reupholstered a chair for daughter. Lots of pics saw us through to the end.

Special tools? Like what and where can they be purchased? Am I going to break the bank on buying tools doing this myself?
Will take note of each piece I take off and once I get started most likely be back with many more questions

My knuckle rebuild was actually a mini truck knuckle swap so I had to buy a centering tool to get it shimmed right.
I think if you keep track of the shims you may not need a centering tool. Not sure where you live, but someone near you may have one you could borrow. It wouldn’t hurt to ask.

I'll keep track for sure. I'm in central Indiana. I do know a few guys in the area that work on and modify their own trucks. One owns and operates his own auto repair shop. I've been asking him some questions and he's always willing to assist with info. Haven't asked him about borrowing a tool yet as I haven't gotten started and want to be careful about that as that's his livelihood.

Like @single malt said... the special tools are not needed if you keep track of the shims. Keep in mind that each shim set is specific to each knuckle bearing location (top right, bottom right, top left & bottom left). There's a number of threads that document this if you don't have a FSM (factory service manual) or you haven't already downloaded a copy.

I've seen mechanics with plenty of domestic vehicle experience mess up Toyota stuff because they've assumed the procedures are the same. Download the FSM from @Trollhole 's link:

For Sale - 40, 50, 60, and 80 series FSM for a hell of a price.

Here's a just a hint of what's in store if you do not keep track of the shims:

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_6b5a.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom