KISS Drawers (Keep It Simple Storage) for 200s

cruzerDave

Land Shark Outfitters
Supporting Vendor
These drawers are at the top of the drawer section on my ridiculously huge spreadsheet of to-do mods. I love everything about them, especially the customization aspect, but the only concern I have with them is the 100lb drawer weight limitation. What is the limiting factor for that, and is it possible in the customization process to beef them up to be able to handle more? Also, has anyone had issues because of overloading the drawers?
The 100lbs is more of a usability than a structural limitation- When I fill mine with tools, jack, recovery gear, compressor and all the bags it is about 80 lbs and it's not like something is nearing a limit - it just gets too much of a PITA to pull that much on the slides while reaching over your tailgate without risking a back injury. Other than chains (real, not cable- which I put under the wings) I'm wondering what do you want to put in there that is going north of 100lbs?!?

To answer the second part of that question of whether you can beef them up - sure, the Reef (and KISS Drawers) have always been claimed to be "the starting point for your custom storage system" - that's one big reason they are built of super-user-mod-friendly plywood, so anyone can work on them. If you want to email me your sketches and ideas for thoughts on mods please feel free, many people do and it's always fun to see how they're being used!

The 100lbs is more of a usability than a structural limitation- When I fill mine with tools, jack, recovery gear, compressor and all the bags it is about 80 lbs and it's not like something is nearing a limit - it just gets too much of a PITA to pull that much on the slides while reaching over your tailgate without risking a back injury. Other than chains (real, not cable- which I put under the wings) I'm wondering what do you want to put in there that is going north of 100lbs?!?

To answer the second part of that question of whether you can beef them up - sure, the Reef (and KISS Drawers) have always been claimed to be "the starting point for your custom storage system" - that's one big reason they are built of super-user-mod-friendly plywood, so anyone can work on them. If you want to email me your sketches and ideas for thoughts on mods please feel free, many people do and it's always fun to see how they're being used!
Thank you! I don’t have a specific load in mind, it is more a matter of doing cocktail napkin level math and realizing that it would not take much for me to go over 100 lbs. The reasoning you provided makes a lot of sense, and having that kind of limit will hopefully help me apply some thought to the load, rather than my normal method of saying “I have room, I will just toss it in, you never know.” When I reach the drawers point in my gradual build, will be sure to send you any mods I come up with. Since I have had Budbuilt sliders sitting in my garage for two months waiting to be installed, I am clearly making gradual into a science.

CharlieS

SILVER Star

It seems like full length top rails with HDPE slides (same as the bottom, but inverted) would make for a smoother slide and provide additional support for heavier loads that might tip the far end up as you slide in or out. Not sure what that'd do to cost though...

Good suggestion. I have had some problems with the HDPE slides "kinking" when the drawer is a little past halfway out. Tried putting more nails in, but still looking for a better solution. Really like my KISS drawers even though.

4gotalot

SILVER Star
cruzerDave is there a way to retrofit the previous generation drawers with the new slide system? Or is the sizing different? My prior generation drawers have become fairly hard to move. Thanks.
Good suggestion. I have had some problems with the HDPE slides "kinking" when the drawer is a little past halfway out. Tried putting more nails in, but still looking for a better solution. Really like my KISS drawers even though.
I have found a fix for the "kinking" that I had with my KISS drawers. My drawers were made and designed well but it turns out that there is not a lot of support under the drawers to keep the frame, track and aluminum guides square. Also if you do some off road bouncing around, the nails that hold the slides in place can get loose because I am sure I had the drawers over loaded. Installing some small blocks in two places as support along the left and right aluminum guide. One mid way and the other close to the front on each side and a stack of door frame shims under the center alum guide because I have not gone back and removed the drawers to fit the blocks and cut carpet for two 1 inch blocks mid way and at the front of the center support.

I also squared the drawers again to be sure an pulled the HDPE tarckes off and resecured them a 1/4 in fwd and the other side a 1/4 inch back so the are easyer to install staggered, I then added a 1/4 x1 1/2 flat trim that I planed down another 1/16 " then screwed in place every 4 inches. this support piece ran the length of the drawer above and against the HDPE to give the nails more support. I have another PM fix that I haven't gotten to yet but includes more support under each drawer when bouncing don the road the drawers will be supported by blocks not just the tracks.

Every thing I have done so far is just a quick fix to see if found the answer. So far I am on the right path. The Left drawer now slides loaded, back and fourth just like on the work bench.

Any one can send me a PM for more details and when my son gets out of quarentine, he can help me take some pictures and post my fixes. I can't respond right away because I will be at work during the day because our store falls under the necessity store that sells guns and ammo, and generators.

I especially want to thank cruiserdave for making a quality DIY drawer like these that we can finish and adjust and tweak ourselves.

CharlieS

SILVER Star

Just a quick note that the new version of the drawers doesn't have any nails. Everything is bolted together, into extruded aluminum channels (including the hdpe slide material).

Last edited:

cruzerDave

Land Shark Outfitters
Supporting Vendor
I have found a fix for the "kinking" that I had with my KISS drawers. My drawers were made and designed well but it turns out that there is not a lot of support under the drawers to keep the frame, track and aluminum guides square. Also if you do some off road bouncing around, the nails that hold the slides in place can get loose because I am sure I had the drawers over loaded. Installing some small blocks in two places as support along the left and right aluminum guide. One mid way and the other close to the front on each side and a stack of door frame shims under the center alum guide because I have not gone back and removed the drawers to fit the blocks and cut carpet for two 1 inch blocks mid way and at the front of the center support.

I also squared the drawers again to be sure an pulled the HDPE tarckes off and resecured them a 1/4 in fwd and the other side a 1/4 inch back so the are easyer to install staggered, I then added a 1/4 x1 1/2 flat trim that I planed down another 1/16 " then screwed in place every 4 inches. this support piece ran the length of the drawer above and against the HDPE to give the nails more support. I have another PM fix that I haven't gotten to yet but includes more support under each drawer when bouncing don the road the drawers will be supported by blocks not just the tracks.

Every thing I have done so far is just a quick fix to see if found the answer. So far I am on the right path. The Left drawer now slides loaded, back and fourth just like on the work bench.

Any one can send me a PM for more details and when my son gets out of quarentine, he can help me take some pictures and post my fixes. I can't respond right away because I will be at work during the day because our store falls under the necessity store that sells guns and ammo, and generators.

I especially want to thank cruiserdave for making a quality DIY drawer like these that we can finish and adjust and tweak ourselves.
Interesting, had not heard of loosening like you describe, but sounds like you handled it which makes me smile - never claimed to be a genius cabinet maker or drawer mfg'r just sorta fell into this and figured leaving things so peopel could tweak themselves would be a good idea - nice to hear of your ingenuity ;)

And not to diss the KISS system, because I really liked it and was happy for years, but it did have great chance for fiddliness which was one of the reasons I changed for the Reef. That and reduced cost enough to allow me to hire someone to help out which was a deal-breaker otherwise. KISS took over my garage and life and that's not fun.
Just a quick note that the new version of the drawers doesn't have any nails. Everything is bolted together, into extruded aluminum channels (including the hdpe slide material).
YEP! Still won't be as slick as rollerball metal slides at full extension, but they give you more storage space(!), less cost, and easier to modify. Everything's a compromise ;)

Top Bottom