Kick vent help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Tell me i'm wrong, but are the kick vests on a 40 supposed to be able to be opend and closed by a knob on the dash? i cant understand how they are supposed to stay closed otherwise. I'm assuming that the PO must have ether thken the name kick vents lieraly and smashed everything up or they wore out and were removed. does anyone know who would sell a replacement mechanism or knows how i could rig it to work off one of the knobs? i have a piece of wood molding holding them closed but it would be nice to shut them in a hurry when the weather gets bad.

Thanks
Jack Wells

My 76 just has a tab on the vent to flip the vent open, it is held open/closed by spring tension. If there is a knob someone took it off long ago.

no knobs on the kick vents, they are called kick vents for a reason. Now there is a knob for a fresh air flow from the upper vent. Springs hold the kick vents shut when working properly .

are you talking about the vent on the cowl? directly infront of the windshield?

the early ones opened with a rod linkage next to the heater, the later ones are just there for looks and don't function

are you talking about the vent on the cowl? directly infront of the windshield?

the early ones opened with a rod linkage next to the heater, the later ones are just there for looks and don't function

I'm talking about the vents that open and close by your feet. i"ll have pics up later today but the inside is pretty smashed up. i dont see how a spring mechinism would work but could somone with working vents post a couple pics?
thanks

Here they are.
DSC02715.jpg

Tell me i'm wrong, but are the kick vests on a 40 supposed to be able to be opend and closed by a knob on the dash?
Thanks
Jack Wells

:lol: Nothing like a direct answer to the question.

As posted above, there is supposed to be an extension on the inside of the vent that you can use to 'kick' it open or pull it closed with your toe. The spring holds it open (or closed). :cheers:

kick vents

1) There is no knob control which opens and closes the kick vents (2) As has been mentioned they are kept in either the open or closed position by spring tension. Just screw the doors back on and set the springs, kick them open and enjoy the breeze.

i think i see how they work now. does anyone know where i can get the springs? i think i can bend the mounting back into place, but i wouldnt know what to make the springs out of.

Mine are hydraulic and I know they came that way from the factory.;):p

Ed:beer:

they only open when going 70mph+, its in the manual

When you go 70 more than the kick vents are coming off, mirrors, top, the old flaking paint ;p

naw not really my 40 holds up pretty well

:hmm: WOW :lol:

I had a friend many, many years ago who found a sticker or decal that he fixed to glove door of his FJ40.

"Do not lower windows if speed exceeds 120 mph."

I laughed every time I saw it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom