Kick Vent Seals (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I ordered and received "kick vent seals". They are nothing like the OEM seals.

They are to thin to prevent metal on metal contact. The do not fit the body. They seem to fit the doors. Are they intended to be used in addition with the OEM style? The OEM old ones are thicker, denser and do fit the body. The cross section is about square. The original seals were cast in a mould.

The vender claims to have OEM seals, just out of stock. Their picture, of the "oem" ones, shows these wimpy foamie punch cut pieces. The vendor phone person was useless.

I must be missing some key piece of information.

Unless someone tells me different, I will clean and re glue the old original seals to the body. Should I glue the foamy things to the door in addition? Just throw them away?

Second question from a one off FJ40 restorer? This is not the first useless rubber I have been sent. I also was sent a tub seal that was never used on my vehicle. I prevented reassembly of the top to the tub. More expensive trash.

Are these issues common on weatherstrip?

DSCN0701.JPG

I noticed the same thing and just removed them and don't run a seal there

Yes weather stripping for these can vary based on where they came from

I have not bought a ton of weather stripping but from perusing the forum, it seems quite a common issue. That said, I have the exact same punch out foam stripping, it does seem to seal the kick vent against the lip of the body. If the old one is in good shape soak in 404 for a bit to rejuvenate the rubber and reinstall.

I got the same seal and they actually worked really well. No, not 100% like original, but very functional.

My first thought to simply buy some suitable weatherstripping from a home improvement store and cut and fit, but I had some other things on order so included a set. The objective is to prevent drafts and perhaps stop some rattling. There is almost always more than one solution.

I ordered and received "kick vent seals". They are nothing like the OEM seals.

They are to thin to prevent metal on metal contact. The do not fit the body. They seem to fit the doors. Are they intended to be used in addition with the OEM style? The OEM old ones are thicker, denser and do fit the body. The cross section is about square. The original seals were cast in a mould.

The vender claims to have OEM seals, just out of stock. Their picture, of the "oem" ones, shows these wimpy foamie punch cut pieces. The vendor phone person was useless.

I must be missing some key piece of information.

Unless someone tells me different, I will clean and re glue the old original seals to the body. Should I glue the foamy things to the door in addition? Just throw them away?

Second question from a one off FJ40 restorer? This is not the first useless rubber I have been sent. I also was sent a tub seal that was never used on my vehicle. I prevented reassembly of the top to the tub. More expensive trash.

Are these issues common on weatherstrip?

View attachment 3350004

The oem seal in pic fits inside door like new one or no ?

Looks like the new one (inside panel)-wider/flatter. Old one is the thinner (in width) but thicker in depth-overspray. The new ones seal against the lip, not just the indentation like the old. It does seal better just doesn't look better. It's what Mr. T is selling at the stealership along with B-post/door latch/hardtop foam seals instead of thicker rubber.

I cleaned up and used my old ones after receiving aftermarket pieces that didn’t fit. I got them from one of our most common Land Cruiser vendors. No names, but they looked exactly like the one on OP post. When I close the vents, they aren’t flat with the body. Looked awful.

I cleaned up and used my old ones after receiving aftermarket pieces that didn’t fit. I got them from one of our most common Land Cruiser vendors. No names, but they looked exactly like the one on OP post. When I close the vents, they aren’t flat with the body. Looked awful.
I was wondering if this might be the case, as I have some to install. It should compress down over time, though, no?i

Mine haven't.

I was wondering if this might be the case, as I have some to install. It should compress down over time, though, no?i
Nope, put some on in '98 thinking the same thing, they still stick out a quarter century later. Damn things are just too thick. Debated using a heat gun to make the seals hot and forcefully compressing them but haven't tried it yet.

Nope, put some on in '98 thinking the same thing, they still stick out a quarter century later. Damn things are just too thick. Debated using a heat gun to make the seals hot and forcefully compressing them but haven't tried it yet.
Not a bad idea. May try this on mine prior to installing

I seriously doubt they will start to fit better over time.

Mine compressed into the lip of the body to lay perfectly flat. Took a short while but well worth it compared to the crusty originals that were beyond saving.

Mine compressed into the lip of the body to lay perfectly flat. Took a short while but well worth it compared to the crusty originals that were beyond saving.
Finally got around to installing mine (the Cruiser Corp variety). Cleaned the seal and surface with denatured alchohol, applied 3m 77 to the seal, then stuck it. Happy with the result and doesn’t seem to sit high (maybe just a hair on the forward end?).

IMG_5730.jpeg

IMG_5731.jpeg

IMG_5729.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom