KCJAZ Communications Upgrade project - 2013 LC (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It sounds like your overall experience was similar to mine with the 2016+ unit on the trip I just returned from - pretty good, but not perfect.

Contact the app developers as the ability to do this will be backed into the app. Just as an example, Google maps has an option buried somewhere in the settings that allows you to pick the storage drive for the offline maps. If they don't already have the ability to do so, I suspect Gaia and some of the other offline map app companies would be reasonably receptive to this sort of suggestion than many other app developers would be as they would most likely see the value in having more space available. EC Offroad definitely isn't going to have intimate knowledge of apps. They're pretty good at helping out with the initial install, but that's about it.

If you haven't looked into it yet, look into Sergey's custom firmware for these PX6 based units available via the Tesla Style Firmware and HeadUnits Facebook group. Send him a private message after you join the group and he'll work with you on getting the custom firmware purchased and installed. This might actually improve the issue you had with the screen going black as his firmware is supposed to address a number of issues in the stock firmware. Just be aware that EC Offroad might cut you off from support / warranty if you install this, which is reasonable as they can't reasonably be expected to support firmware that didn't come through them.
The unit works very well on the 14 Hour Dr. home from Ouray. I am a member of that Facebook group and I have thought about using Sergey’s firmware. I am just hesitant because all of the functions seem to work with the EC off-road firmware that some people report do not work even with Sergey’s firmware.

Update: I returned the hot spot to where I borrowed it from and have just used the unit with my iPhone as the hot spot and use Bluetooth to connect the phone. The unit is now automatically connecting to my phone hot spot and everything is working pretty well as long as I don’t use CarPlay. For me that is fine.

Had one time this week where it did a full boot when it had only been off for an hour and it took a really long time to boot up. It was a 100F day so maybe that had something to do with it.

If it keeps working like it is now, I’ll be happy. It’s not perfect but overall I’m happy.

Update: I returned the hot spot to where I borrowed it from and have just used the unit with my iPhone as the hot spot and use Bluetooth to connect the phone. The unit is now automatically connecting to my phone hot spot and everything is working pretty well as long as I don’t use CarPlay. For me that is fine.

Had one time this week where it did a full boot when it had only been off for an hour and it took a really long time to boot up. It was a 100F day so maybe that had something to do with it.

If it keeps working like it is now, I’ll be happy. It’s not perfect but overall I’m happy.
Interesting that it is automatically connecting to your iPhone hotspot - that usually doesn't work unless the device that's connecting is an Apple device.

if you need more details on using the FTM400... check the ham thread in my signature. I have been working on that for my local club, that FTM400 is an awesome radio.

If you haven't downloaded the RT Systems programmer yet, definitely do it.

Interesting that it is automatically connecting to your iPhone hotspot - that usually doesn't work unless the device that's connecting is an Apple device.
Yeah. What is weird is that it did not automatically connect when I first installed it and started using it. I don’t know what I changed other than stopped using CarPlay.

Yeah. What is weird is that it did not automatically connect when I first installed it and started using it. I don’t know what I changed other than stopped using CarPlay.
Well since it's doing what you want, don't touch it :)

I'm trying to decide where to mount mine. Do you have any close-up pictures of where you attached the mounting bracket?
Sorry, I don’t have any pics that show that. I can take a few but I’m current not with the truck. I keep it at our lake place. Won’t be down there for a couple weeks though.

All I did was bolt the bracket to the plastic panel. There are some things above the panel that would interfere with mounting bolts that you need to avoid.

How's the WeBoost system working, was it a good system to have? I see quite a few vehicle here in Colorado with that antenna on them.

How's the WeBoost system working, was it a good system to have? I see quite a few vehicle here in Colorado with that antenna on them.
Seems to work pretty well. We travel back and forth to a lake house and there are cell dead zones where calls always drop and they don't drop now. It also seems to help Spotify stream music in those same places. I have been in a couple spots where I didn't have usable service on my cell out side of the truck but could in the truck and use my phone. On a camping trip I was able to download maps to my Tesla unit for OnX because of the Weboost. So, I like it. I may add one to my Taco.

How is your Ham antenna mounted? Did you drill the roof for the NMO mount?
I just made a DIY bracket out of sheet metal and mounted on my TJM bumper. Ran the wire through the fender and down under the floor and came up through an OEM grommet in the passenger floor under the carpet near the sill.

024CB3FF-C272-4934-882B-76FD5BD1076F.jpeg

I may move it to a bracket on one of the side mirrors. Someone makes a bracket for that.

I just made a DIY bracket out of sheet metal and mounted on my TJM bumper. Ran the wire through the fender and down under the floor and came up through an OEM grommet in the passenger floor under the carpet near the sill.

View attachment 3276889

I may move it to a bracket on one of the side mirrors. Someone makes a bracket for that.

I'll have to sit in yours and see if that placement distracts me as much as I imagine it would. Very handy that we both have the same bumper!
It doesn’t bother me. In fact I really don’t see it any more. My wife had a small fit when she first saw it. It does “wiggle” at highway speed and I thought I’d have to move it. It’s been more than a year and she doesn’t complain anymore. Not sure if that’s because she no longer sees it like me or if it’s more like she knows complaining to me about the things I do is futile… likely the latter.

Side mirror mount would be pretty noisy when driving above 30 or 40 with the windows down, no?

Side mirror mount would be pretty noisy when driving above 30 or 40 with the windows down, no?
Maybe that’s why the Aussies designed the mount to go on the passenger side!

I have the mirror mount (mounted on the driver's side here in the US), and I haven't noticed any noise from it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom