KaBoom and other sounds (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.tunersportfishing.com
This is a 96 80 series with 193k. I've put about 10k on in the year I've owned it. The very first thing I did was take it to a friend with a Toyota specialty shop and said make it safe and reliable....luckily we'd done a pre inspection and there wasn't much to be done other than belts and fluids.

After 6k, I noticed one of the twin belts had broken while doing an oil change. Friend said bring it in, we'll warranty the belts and put two new ones on(Toyota matched set). Since it had been about 7 months, I thought that was a good thing and unexpected in this day and age. There were no obvious causes, they put a stethoscope on each pully to check for an intermittent bearing to no avail. New belts were installed, everything is cool.

In an impressive display yesterday at 65mph, one or both belts went and took the shroud and upper radiator tank with them, leaving me on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere with a wet spot in my shorts. They lasted 4k. We are perplexed.

A search reveals you should use OEM which we have done. Any additional thoughts would be appreciated.

PS. I believe I'm reading that leaving the shroud off will improve AC performance which would be a plus in Florida....fact of fiction?

Last edited:
I would replace the shroud. While the first occurrence of a belt failing would lead credence to your second belt failing on its own, it is possible that this last time around that the radiator tank failed first, and that the bits of broken tank took out the belts and then the belts took out the shroud.

Verify that the pulleys are in alignment with each other, and that there is no damage the the pulley's v grooves. Make sure the belts are not being overly tightened.

Tuner said:
PS. I believe I'm reading that leaving the shroud off will improve AC performance which would be a plus in Florida....fact of fiction?

I don't believe you will get concensus on this, especially on stock vehicles. (Superchargers/turbos add complexity and warrant a different approach.) The shroud is there for a reason and should be replaced. If you are having cooling problems or A/C problems then tackle them individually before you start reengineering the vehicle.

-B-

this is not the first time ive heard of this .and what gets me it toy. belts and about the same time in miles give or take.the guy i knew locally went to napa bought his new belts no trouble sence.i hope its not a defect in the belts:eek: .and also on here ive heard a similer complaint

Thanks for the replies...

The tank is mostly intact, just ruptured along the left to right seam and at the overflow hose.....which is where I suspect the belt hit it. I would have noticed an overheating engine before the tank would explode...I think.

We're going to recheck everything regarding the belt alignment, pulleys, bearings etc again but confidence is very low in this area right now.

I don't mind replacing the shroud, just though I'd ask. The AC works OK for a beautiful dark green car in direct Florida sun, it will eventually cool everything down but it takes a while due to the residual solar heat in the cabin.

The engine never gives any sign of overheating and the radiator looks immaculate on the top so maybe I just need one of those solar fans that hang on the window and keep the interior cooler:)

BTW, the ARB front bumper with Blue Ox universal brackets allowed me to flat tow the 80 behind the motorhome to North Dakota and back as well as several side trips during the year without a hiccup. The 80 has turned out to be an excellent "toad".

Tuner said:
BTW, the ARB front bumper with Blue Ox universal brackets allowed me to flat tow the 80 behind the motorhome to North Dakota and back as well as several side trips during the year without a hiccup. The 80 has turned out to be an excellent "toad".

That line just opened up a whole 'nother thread! :flipoff2:

Tuner said:
:doh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom