Just when you think you are safe.... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I had a huge scorpion problem a couple years ago. I researched and did all kinds of things to eliminate them. I finally decide to go medieval on their asses. Solution, release the cracken aka Gallus domesticus. That's right I made a chicken coup, got some chickens and at night I turned on floodlights in the yard which got all the creepy crawly's running around, then released the chickens from the coup. I can say the chickens scoured the yard like raptors eating everything that moved. The food source was severely depleted and the reduction in scorpions was dramatic. They ate the scorpions too, but the biggest impact had to be removing the food source. I also had farm fresh eggs for a while.

I wonder if scorpions taste like chicken..? o_O

reading this I just felt something crawling up my leg... jeesh glad I don't have thses things.

More curious if the chickens taste like scorpion! We had a friendly neighborhood chicken here for awhile; one of the neighbors across the street kept her (a hen) around the house for that purpose, and it would come when you 'clucked' at it. Used to walk right into my garage when working on the cars and such, and was friendly enough that you could pet it.

From my driveway

IMAG0151.jpg

Judging by the fresh deli meat container I'd simply quit leaving ham sandwiches out for them to snack on and they might just find a better place to raise their kids...sheesh.

:p

Last edited:
Same one

Time to revive this thread.

Been in our house since 2012. Just found our first scorpion. Luckily, it was at the bottom of the pool with about 6 babies.

IMG_20190608_162904.jpg

Blacklight vs scorpion light......difference?

Is sting really like a hornet? Hear lots of takes on it. Don't necessarily want to experience.

Biggie's on my back wall in fruit tree area.

Any UV light will work.

From my experience is with the little bark scorpions, it depends how much they unload on you. I have been stung in bed with what I would call a warning sting that will start to feel better in and hour or two. Then there is the "Your crushing me sting" (usually bottom of the foot, or knee if you mash them on the floor). That one can put you our of service for 24 to 48 hours. Hard to describe the feeling, kinda like a pulsing electrical shock mixed with the hornet pain.

I got hit on the hand in bed by on those little bastages. Got me good, hand swelled a bit, quite painful. Hand and arm twitched uncontrollably, due to the venom, for two days afterword.

Remove the food source, the easiest way to control them. This year, with all the rain, that will be a little more difficult.

I think i'm going to get a few chickens. Get a coop and stick them back in the fruit trees. Babies don't glow under the blacklight, which makes the scorp look strange. All you see is glowing legs and pinchers.

iuaeNsM.jpg

mR280as.jpg
IhqBYMD.jpg

A black light and a can of brake clean. One shot and they are done. They also can’t hide in cracks or block wall joints from the spray. I used to hunt them nightly, I regularly got 10-20 per night doing this for months. Both in my yard and along my back fence in the alley. I think the infestation came with a landscape package I purchased from moon valley nursery several years ago. Prior to that I only found one on occasion.

A black light and a can of brake clean. One shot and they are done. They also can’t hide in cracks or block wall joints from the spray. I used to hunt them nightly, I regularly got 10-20 per night doing this for months. Both in my yard and along my back fence in the alley. I think the infestation came with a landscape package I purchased from moon valley nursery several years ago. Prior to that I only found one on occasion.

NIce part with Brakleen you are deadly from 10' standing 👍

I causally inspected the back yard last night with a black light and didn't see anything. I'll sweep the front and back a little more thoroughly over the next week or so.

This was the first one we've seen in seven years. Given there were babies too, I'm thinking we might start seeing more. Hopefully not though.

Tis the season. I'm finding Barkies in the pool about once a month, and have a little floor plan map in the laundry room where I mark down where I find and kill them - helps to isolate where you need to spray for bugs.

Pest control guy says you can't kill them with residential pesticides, so you have to starve them out. Some houses up and down the block are hit or miss on seeing plenty vs. never seeing one at all. I think they're pretty cool as an unchanged bio form for hundreds of thousands of years; they are an efficient design, inarguably suited for the desert.

Just killed one this morning in our shower. Forgot to take a pic. We have our house sprayed once a month and this one was already dying...really slow moving. I got hit on the foot when I was kid. My Mom cut open a clove of garlic and held it on the sting for a few min. Not sure if it was Mexican voodoo or just the placebo effect but it stopped hurting shortly and didn't even swell.

Found our first this weekend... a small bark spider in our bedroom. I was cleaning around the gun safe and very nearly stepped on him. I'm actually lucky I spotted him on our carpet. Took him outside and squished him. My wife and I are now conducting regular UV light inspections.

Man...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom