Just picked up a 1979 Pickup (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just picked up this 1979 pickup. I’ve been wanting one for awhile and this deal just fell into my lap. The previous owner got it as a payment for some work he had done. He told me he had no use for it and it was sitting there for over 5 years. It has an older GM 3.8l 231 with a turbo 350 transmission. Not sure what lift it has but it’s sitting on 35’s.

Not taking any chances I towed it home so I could inspect it.

Luckily there was no fuel at all in the vehicle. So I cleaned up the carburetor. It had not been adjusted at all and the kickback cable to the transmission wasn’t even connected it was just hanging there tied to the back of the engine bay. I did an oil change and a transmission flush with a new transmission filter. The thing fired up quicker than I thought. She was finally up and running after sitting for a long time. Of course I had to take it out for a ride.

It ran good and it amazed me. The only problem it has is that it starts to cut out when going down steep grades. I’ll pull apart the carb and check the floats. The inside definitely needs some attention so I’ll start fixing that part up.

I’m thinking of stripping it down and raptor lining it and just putting some good floor mats. I need to redo the door panels and dash.

Well I hope you guys enjoy and I will keep you posted as I go. I’d appreciate any insight and opinions on what to do. Thank you.

What ever you do DON’T BEDLINER IT!!! I’d just drive it the way it is (paint) before I did that. It kills the chance to ever do proper paint, and that thing is nice and complete. If it were mine, I’d ditch the tube bumpers and roll bar, and just get the interior fixed up. You’ll have a nice classic with patina!

What ever you do DON’T BEDLINER IT!!! I’d just drive it the way it is (paint) before I did that. It kills the chance to ever do proper paint, and that thing is nice and complete. If it were mine, I’d ditch the tube bumpers and roll bar, and just get the interior fixed up. You’ll have a nice classic with patina!
So you wouldn’t line the interior? On the outside I’m still up in the air on what I want to do. I’m definitely going to take off the tube bumpers and that step. I’ll probably put on some sliders to make it easier to get in and out

I would liner the floors maybe, and the inside of the bed, but I wouldn’t do the exterior. I know it won’t be easy to find interior parts like door cards etc, but you should be able to make some reasonable ones. I just think those trucks are classics now, and even though yours is a bit “rustic”, it at least has the potential to be kept fairly original looking on the outside.

If it were mine, I’d get it running right and do the best I could with the interior. You might be able to get carpet from Stock Interiors, but I’m not sure if they will have kits for that vintage. If they do, their stuff is way cheaper than you’d think.

Carpet and dash caps are available on eBay.
Door cards are not!
Sweet little truck.
Does it feel like it has a locker in the rear?

Carpet and dash caps are available on eBay. Door cards are not!

Stock Interiors does not have carpet. (They do have it for 84 and up). Door cards are a simple 1/4” mdf and some vinyl project. A little contact cement and a couple of hours and you’re looking good!

Carpet and dash caps are available on eBay.
Door cards are not!
Sweet little truck.
Does it feel like it has a locker in the rear?
I’m not sure if it is or not or what kind of gearing it has. I don’t here any clicking or grabbing while on pavement but off road the tires seem to have an even spin on obstacles. So I couldn’t tell you for sure unless I open up the 3rd member.

Stock Interiors does not have carpet. (They do have it for 84 and up). Door cards are a simple 1/4” mdf and some vinyl project. A little contact cement and a couple of hours and you’re looking good!
The passenger door card has a decent shape to it. I can pull it and trace from it. I already have some lightweight board from a project I was doing months ago. It is some dry erase board I had picked up from Home Depot. Very similar material to the stock, but better sealed and made. I was already scoping out some vinyl and some padding at hobby lobby the other day. I have limited time to work on it because my hours for my job. So basically I’ll work on it 1 day a week.

Stock didn't have carpet? That's not true. The base model might not have, but the SR5 versions had carpet prior to 84. I got new carpet for my 83 from RockAuto for $137 with extra thick backing, and it seems made really well (in USA). PN
ACC 1919162

I dig that "patina" (way more than i like using that word). My first reaction to your pic was to clear coat it as is. =)

I made wooden door panels for mine.

One day beats the heck outta none days!

I missed it somehow:

Last edited:
Stock didn't have carpet? That's not true. The base model might not have, but the SR5 versions had carpet prior to 84. I got new carpet for my 83 from RockAuto for $137 with extra thick backing, and it seems made really well (in USA). PN
ACC 1919162

I dig that "patina" (way more than i like using that word). My first reaction to your pic was to clear coat it as is. =)

I made wooden door panels for mine. View attachment 1911815
That carpet looks nice. Was it already pre-cut with the holes for the shifter or did you do it? I would have to get one where I cut the holes because I a have different shifter

That carpet looks nice. Was it already pre-cut with the holes for the shifter or did you do it? I would have to get one where I cut the holes because I a have different shifter
Actually that's the old carpet in the pic, I haven't installed the new yet. No holes cut in the new section - I've also modified the trans & shifter and will cut accordingly.

I had a 3.8L/TH350 setup in an '80. The carb problem can be corrected by doing two things. 1) Change the float setting. 2) Put a hose on the float bowl vent tube to prevent fuel sloshing out and into the throttle.

If you still have the stock gearing in the diffs it'll be 4.37s. Lots of engine rpms and crappy gas mileage with a stock 13 gallon tank. Maybe 12mpg. Old school B&M shifter looks real familiar!

Does the front axle housing have the long side brace? If not, you have a weak point in that the front housing is subject to bending.

How much did you get it for?

I had a 3.8L/TH350 setup in an '80. The carb problem can be corrected by doing two things. 1) Change the float setting. 2) Put a hose on the float bowl vent tube to prevent fuel sloshing out and into the throttle.

If you still have the stock gearing in the diffs it'll be 4.37s. Lots of engine rpms and crappy gas mileage with a stock 13 gallon tank. Maybe 12mpg. Old school B&M shifter looks real familiar!

Does the front axle housing have the long side brace? If not, you have a weak point in that the front housing is subject to bending.

How much did you get it for?
How did you like that set up when you had it? It seems to have some good power and torque. Good point in the axle, I will need to reinforce as it seems so small. I picked her up for $600. He was asking $800 and talked him down.

Marlin has a weld on gusset kit for the front end. As for power, carry a couple of spare U-joints, they take a real beating. Drive shaft bolts are the small kind, carry a couple of spares.

Excellent price too!

Marlin has a weld on gusset kit for the front end. As for power, carry a couple of spare U-joints, they take a real beating. Drive shaft bolts are the small kind, carry a couple of spares.

Excellent price too!

Thanks for the info, I’ll have to modify my steering at it sits in the way to put on that gusset. Any suggestions on that?

Nice truck man and it has awesome patina! Just clear coat it and do not bedline it - they’re only original once.

A common modification to do is to replace the push-pull steering box with one from an IFS truck (86-95). A quick google search should help you get started on that and some fab skills are required. A hi-steer kit would also be a worthy investment if one isn’t already installed.

I’d say given what you paid, you practically stole the thing!

Oh and by the way you should keep the roll bar on there...just pure 80’s awesomeness!

Excellent price too!

Good call on the marlin gusset ferg! 79-80 front axles are missing the gusset on the bottom, 81-83 have the half gusset on the bottom and 84-85 have a full gusset. Those are the ones to get!

Nice score. I've got the exact truck down to the color but it's an 82. For what it's worth mine is a base model and has vinyl.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom