Just another barn thread (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Lots of tortoises. Soon to have more. I would love to see an indigo snake.

I need to put my FJ60 back together and once that's done I'll find the time to come down and look for snakes.

I agree on the burnish/polish and staining over coatings. Too many things that can go wrong with a coating - moisture, abrasion, etc.

One thing to watch out for is that a polished surface can get awfully slick when wet.

Not to hijack but after researching a little I like this burnished finish. Looks cost effective and several choices to choose from with color. You did raise excellent point I was curious about with the slick factor when wet.

When researching some the ash (if I’m saying this right) in the concrete itself can determine quality of finish. Recommended no more than 10% from what I read. Not sure what the standard is.

All non-brushed concrete is slippery when wet. My garage is just a trowel finish and is slippery AF.

Epoxy is too, unless you add a ton of sand or grit to it, but then you'd be hard pressed to lay down on it under a car, lol.

My buddy up in Durham @S4Cruiser has a burnished finish in his garage and it's far and away my favorite. Looks good, nice and hard top layer. Maybe he can weigh in on some more specific info.

First side going up.
DD305991-28B7-4A37-BDF7-F2B67C7EDC5B.jpeg
F2634F47-D0A9-48B8-B17E-E28E7ED52852.jpeg

I just took a similar lift back to the rental place last week but not until I played around in the shop with it. What a great piece of equipment to have!

They are getting after it, cool stuff.

I tried to drive one stoned once. Do not recommend.
Moved too fast I presume...lol I was scared s***less i was going to back into one of the 8x8' beams, I purchased some scaffolding a couple days later. Much safer

Scaffolding on wheels was my tool of choice to work the inside of my shop. It was tough on my knees but safe and versatile.

Moved too fast I presume...lol I was scared s***less i was going to back into one of the 8x8' beams, I purchased some scaffolding a couple days later. Much safer
Yea. I decided at the last minute I wanted to paint the inside of my previous barn. So I got some paint one weekend and “borrowed” the scissor lift. It was not nearly as nice as the one this crew is using. Could have filmed a great OSHA video that weekend.

Looks really good. They definitely move quick!

I really like the posts going to brackets on the slab. I do wonder why this technique would be used instead of stick framing though. Seams like it's the same work, but much harder to finish the interior if that's the intent. Is there an advantage to a pole structure on an engineered slab over stick framing?

Did the concrete guys form a shallow step for a door a few inches off? In one pic it looks like a post bracket is over it.

Looks really good. They definitely move quick!

I really like the posts going to brackets on the slab. I do wonder why this technique would be used instead of stick framing though. Seams like it's the same work, but much harder to finish the interior if that's the intent. Is there an advantage to a pole structure on an engineered slab over stick framing?

Did the concrete guys form a shallow step for a door a few inches off? In one pic it looks like a post bracket is over it.
I’m no construction expert so no clue about stick framing and what’s better etc.

Yea there was a little measuring snafu on the main garage door. They will figure out a solution when they come back for the porch and some remaining work.

No idea why it’s constructed that way but I do know it’s never a bad idea to have concrete between your wood and the ground where termites live.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom