Just another barn thread (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The well drillers showed up today with their old school Mack rig.

4598D7E5-4D27-4281-80B2-886A1BA4CA2F.jpeg

I got good news from Pella today. My windows will be delivered in February. I was fearing they would be much longer. I ordered in June and was told it would be 9-18 months. I was really unwilling to compromise so just sucked it up and hoped for the best. Looks like we will be on the low side of their estimate.

I got good news from Pella today. My windows will be delivered in February. I was fearing they would be much longer. I ordered in June and was told it would be 9-18 months. I was really unwilling to compromise so just sucked it up and hoped for the best. Looks like we will be on the low side of their estimate.
I went with Anderson after wife continued to chew my butt i wouldn’t happy settling with the windows ordered from Vinylmax per the lumber yard. Not only did we get them quicker they were $3000 cheaper. Last of the windows were installed today, now 4-6 week wait on exterior doors and garage doors.

I’m so glad I didn’t settle since this the dream shop, you shouldn’t have to either.

Out of curiosity how deep did they go for your well?

I went with Anderson after wife continued to chew my butt i wouldn’t happy settling with the windows ordered from Vinylmax per the lumber yard. Not only did we get them quicker they were $3000 cheaper. Last of the windows were installed today, now 4-6 week wait on exterior doors and garage doors.

I’m so glad I didn’t settle since this the dream shop, you shouldn’t have to either.

Out of curiosity how deep did they go for your well?
It will be around 350 to 400 feet. That’s about the range around here.

Ordered windows for my home in June 2021. Loewen a Canadian company. They arrived March 2022. Along with supply chain issues the demand in the panhandle was increased by hurricane Sally. The timeframe for your windows is fairly consistent with reports I have received locally over the last year and a half.

Ordered windows for my home in June 2021. Loewen a Canadian company. They arrived March 2022. Along with supply chain issues the demand in the panhandle was increased by hurricane Sally. The timeframe for your windows is fairly consistent with reports I have received locally over the last year and a half.
I could have gotten the standard Pella windows that Morton uses for their barns a lot quicker. Those would have been here and installed on time. They were around 3-4 months.

I am pretty much burned out at this point. I have worried about the details to a point where I almost stopped caring. I am not to that point but getting close. I still have some details I have not quite worked out. The contractors involved are just busy with other projects and it’s getting into the holiday season.

I am targeting end of March for completion. That probably does not include this one room where I have the remaining details to decide. That also assumes I can get all the necessary parties to play nicely amongst themselves. I’ll settle for 95 percent completion at that point.

I am pretty much burned out at this point. I have worried about the details to a point where I almost stopped caring. I am not to that point but getting close. I still have some details I have not quite worked out. The contractors involved are just busy with other projects and it’s getting into the holiday season.

I am targeting end of March for completion. That probably does not include this one room where I have the remaining details to decide. That also assumes I can get all the necessary parties to play nicely amongst themselves. I’ll settle for 95 percent completion at that point.
Just think how much fun it would be to do it all yourself. From my experience doing exactly that, you can take what you think will happen in 6 months and stretch it out to 3 years. Throw in almost murdering a good friend for messing up your concrete forms and thinking it won't matter and having to run a good size manufacturing operation on the construction site and you got a recipe for fun.

Best advice I can give is never forget that it can ALWAYS get worse.

I was an optimist before I started constructing buildings.

Just think how much fun it would be to do it all yourself. From my experience doing exactly that, you can take what you think will happen in 6 months and stretch it out to 3 years. Throw in almost murdering a good friend for messing up your concrete forms and thinking it won't matter and having to run a good size manufacturing operation on the construction site and you got a recipe for fun.

Best advice I can give is never forget that it can ALWAYS get worse.

I was an optimist before I started constructing buildings.
Fair point. I definitely brought this on myself. I can feel it coming to an end and that is refreshing.

Last edited:
So anyone got opinions on concrete finishes? My last place had an epoxy finish but I don’t really want to do that this time. I kind of want a polished finish. Maybe an acid stain? Anyone?

So anyone got opinions on concrete finishes? My last place had an epoxy finish but I don’t really want to do that this time. I kind of want a polished finish. Maybe an acid stain? Anyone?

Is this a man cave or a productive space where sh!t gets done?

The stained concrete (via acid) seems to hold-up the best, can be polished etc.

High traffic malls (Opry Mills, Grapevine Mills) have stained concrete throughout.

I recommended same to my FIL for his hardware store…small-town contractor didn’t understand and coated the floors…they looked horrible within months.

Burnished concrete is the way to go for a working shop.

I actually dyed my concrete before the pour than used a2 part product from Ghostshield on the working part of barn and race deck in another.
And yes Morton team moves quickly!!

Okay I should have elaborated on how it’s going to be used. It’s more of a man cave. At the same time, I live on a long muddy dirt road. I am going to have to make an attempt to keep it clean no matter what.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom