Just another barn thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I really like the posts going to brackets on the slab. I do wonder why this technique would be used instead of stick framing though. Seams like it's the same work, but much harder to finish the interior if that's the intent. Is there an advantage to a pole structure on an engineered slab over stick framing?

Mostly ease of construction on the pole building - which saves labor costs and gets you under roof a lot faster over a framing crew coming out and assembling it all on site. As you can see from jomelo's photos, the sections go up pretty quickly. More is being done with prefab wall panels - framing everything out on an assembly line and then taking the sections out to site for assembly (photos from the internet).

Prefab 01.jpg
Prefab 02.png
Prefab 03.jpg

There is less of a savings with a pole building if you finish the building out traditionally as you end up having to stick frame between the "poles" for things like batt insulation, drywall, and trim. The typical finish is to do wide batts and then metal panels similar to the exterior. Again, that speeds up construction over typical stick construction finishes.

Pole Finish.jpg

Doing some tortoise surveys on the property today. Hoped to find some nice rattlesnakes but unfortunately none were home.

View attachment 3193465

That's neat tortoises are naturally there. Do they cause any problems like digging under foundations or trees? A few years ago I got my daughter a 10 lb Sulcata Tortoise for her 10th birthday. Then I guess when people hear you have a home for big turtles people give you more turtles. So we now have two 50 lb Sulcata's and a little 5 lb Redfoot. The Sulcatas are epic eaters. They'll keep up with about an acre of grass and they'll be your best friend as long as you have food in your hands. The Redfoot is just like a darn puppy though. He LOVES people. He comes to his name, loves to be held and even just chill on your lap and watch TV. He will follow you around and climb on your foot if you don't pick him up.

Thats pretty cool, gonna have to show the daughter when she is home. I will send some Armadillo pics, no camera needed!

That's neat tortoises are naturally there. Do they cause any problems like digging under foundations or trees? A few years ago I got my daughter a 10 lb Sulcata Tortoise for her 10th birthday. Then I guess when people hear you have a home for big turtles people give you more turtles. So we now have two 50 lb Sulcata's and a little 5 lb Redfoot. The Sulcatas are epic eaters. They'll keep up with about an acre of grass and they'll be your best friend as long as you have food in your hands. The Redfoot is just like a darn puppy though. He LOVES people. He comes to his name, loves to be held and even just chill on your lap and watch TV. He will follow you around and climb on your foot if you don't pick him up.
No real problems here. Sometimes I need to slow a tractor down and let a tortoise cross the trail. They can be a real issue if hunt off horseback as their burrows can sometimes be difficult to spot. I don’t really care to hunt that way so no issue from my perspective. The more the merrier.

Morton just delivered the final shipment which contains the interior aspects that Morton will be handling. I elected to have them do some interior framing and some of the ceilings. The rest I’ll have done by my trim guys.
Nice! I had them do the ceiling. My electrician did wire spec, then spray foam and I finished the walls. You can have fun wit it especially if you want to buy reclaimed barn stuff to complete the look. Some of my buddy’s did a more “finished” look but I like the antique look.

This shop is quite the anomaly with it being built so fast!! Congrats. I hope to have some doors in 2-3 weeks. Hell its been too cold to even continue pulling wire. Looks great!

This shop is quite the anomaly with it being built so fast!! Congrats. I hope to have some doors in 2-3 weeks. Hell its been too cold to even continue pulling wire. Looks great!
Thank you. It is almost going together too quick. There was a slight snafu with my architect and the placement of two windows. Luckily I caught it in time and it was an easy fix.

Porch is going up today. We were waiting on the inspector to get back from his holiday and come look at the holes in the ground. Or whatever it is they do.

C005352C-C642-49F7-AE5C-F40FFF8BAEB5.jpeg

This Merlo thing they use is pretty impressive. It seems like they have used it for almost every aspect of the job. The only thing it doesn’t do is pour concrete.
2F87178B-B654-44C3-B280-686FB4C89EEA.jpeg

Porch is going up today. We were waiting on the inspector to get back from his holiday and come look at the holes in the ground. Or whatever it is they do.

View attachment 3203850

This Merlo thing they use is pretty impressive. It seems like they have used it for almost every aspect of the job. The only thing it doesn’t do is pour concrete.
View attachment 3203851
They had a brand new one of these when they were doing my barn and the guy was backing up and he clipped the side of my new barn and smashed it. I felt so bad for him. it was still drivable but the new green paint was scraped right off!

They had a brand new one of these when they were doing my barn and the guy was backing up and he clipped the side of my new barn and smashed it. I felt so bad for him. it was still drivable but the new green paint was scraped right off!
I can see how that would happen. The four wheel steering is pretty cool.

I can see how that would happen. The four wheel steering is pretty cool.

Called a telehandler. Pretty sweet machines. I've used a few different brands, but my favorite is an 8042 (that means 8000 lbs at 42' reach) Skytrak the local rental outfit has. I rent it so often that I have purchased a dedicated set of 6' fork extensions just to use on their machine. The hydraulic leveling, hydraulic wrist and various steering modes make these super handy and don't let the nameplate ratings fool you- These machines will lift way more than they are rated for. an 8K capacity telehandler weighs about 25K lbs. I've had 12K on the forks of an 8K Skytrak and drove through a 2' deep pond with it. My feet got wet, but it made it!

When I set the 5 ton crane bridge in my building with 20' ceilings I used a telehandler to do it. I didn't think it all the way through and I got the telehandler stuck in my building once I set the bridge down on the runway. It was pretty embarrassing. I had to use another forklift to lift the bridge up a bit then go up in a scissor lift and pull the forks off to get the telehandler unstuck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom