Just another 8274 rebuild - lots of pics (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Warn 8274 Rebuild

I had to remove the gears in the upper housing do to rust. Has anyone been able to replace those needle bearings that fall out when you drive out the pin? I'd like to buy them somewhere if possible as opposed to buying the entire housing kit from Warn.

Yes, I did and the part numbers are in this thread somewhere. Warn doesn't sell them so I bought them at a local bearing supply house

Edit - check post #27

Last edited:
harlyfisher said:
I had to remove the gears in the upper housing do to rust. Has anyone been able to replace those needle bearings that fall out when you drive out the pin? I'd like to buy them somewhere if possible as opposed to buying the entire housing kit from Warn.

I've got some extras if you need them, I ended up buying a lot of a dozen off eBay because it was cheaper than buying two for my rebuild ;)

Tucker

Awl_TEQ said:
Blue77 - that's a great idea. I can make the plastic drum endcap from aluminum in a flat plate and with a second flat plate on the inside to function as the plastic lip does (to locate the cover). I could then powdercoat it or anodize it. The plastic ones are a bit fragile.

Oh - and the tool you suggested would definitely work for that purpose.

Did you decide to do this? If so I'd like two.

No, never did anything with it.

I was hoping you had, oh well maybe in the future

Kevin,

How did you get the main shaft to come out? It appears my problem is that brass seal that. What's the trick brother?
image-1775002875.jpg

#1 Once the washer came off I just lifted the spring and inner brake plate off.

#2 As I mentioned above I am going to be welding (or more accurately my friend will) on this case so everything must come out. I followed flintknapper's thread directions and punched out the brake shaft, bushing and seal. Also I tapped out the needle bearing that supports the other end of the shaft and removed the main gear.

From post #6 in this thread - looks like I got some info from flintknappers thread. I'll go check there but I'm thinking I just hammered it out from the other side where the bearing is :hmm:

I was wondering because I believe that brass seal is my problem. Is it okay to hit that with a hammer with some power? I'm afraid of breaking that main shaft.

Kevin,

Got it man! Wasn't sure if it would be okay to bang on that.

Kevin,

I got the main shaft out thank you sir! How do you remove this bearing? Should I? I would like to glassbead the case and powder coat, should I just tape it off?
image-3673047148.jpg
image-2403017361.jpg

Pictures in this post are "borrowed" from Flintknapper's thread:

The locking plate in the "locked" position
intergearIII.jpg
and unlocked - you can see where it will fit into a groove on the brake shaft and fix it in place
intergear.jpg

bushandseal.jpg
intergearIII.jpg
intergear.jpg
bushandseal.jpg

Last edited:
Kevin,

I got the main shaft out thank you sir! How do you remove this bearing? Should I? I would like to glassbead the case and powder coat, should I just tape it off?

Great!

I took mine out but if it looks decent you can leave it in. It is a biatch to get out. One of mine was so tight I blew the end plate off with a punch and it didn't move. I ended up using a press at work and a suitable sized socket.

If you tape it off just steer clear of it with the blaster - no need to blast the inside much

Yea I was kind of thinking the same thing. It seems to be in good operational order. Did you powdercoat the inside? I was thinking about not having the inside coated but I would like to. I mean the inside of mine look pretty clean. I'm going to clean them out with some cleaning solution tomorrow. I really appreciate your help. Only remaining thing I need to do is get that pin removed on the upper housing... Seems like a pain in the ass

No powder inside - I masked it off after the coater washed the parts and baked them to offgas and prevent bubbles. I got the tape from them, it's got to be high temp obviously.

The pin in the top is held in with little crushed crimps in the alum housing. I just punched it out breaking those crimps off in the process. The pin is a friction fit in the housing and the crimps won't be missed, or you could replicate them on reassembly.

Awl_TEQ said:
No powder inside - I masked it off after the coater washed the parts and baked them to offgas and prevent bubbles. I got the tape from them, it's got to be high temp obviously.

The pin in the top is held in with little crushed crimps in the alum housing. I just punched it out breaking those crimps off in the process. The pin is a friction fit in the housing and the crimps won't be missed, or you could replicate them on reassembly.

Good information! Thank you. So the gent that did your powder coating cleaned them and baked them before coating, and you did the masking? By chance did you take any pictures of your casings with the masking tape? I apologize for the endless questions but I know I'm going to be at that point here very soon.

Sully, looks like I lied :hillbilly:

I only see masking on the bearing surfaces and the mating surfaces. I must have powdered inside too, though likely just overspray.
HPIM1235.jpg
HPIM1235.jpg

I'm confused! Rebuilding an 8274 and am trying to reinstall the intermediate gear (big gear on right side of case connected to brake shaft). Several photos on these blogs show large shoulder side of gear going to left (brake) side & several show going right (drum side).
Any thoughts?

Willy, just saw this now, did you get it together?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom