Events/Trails July's Hurricane Creek trip - Estoy Perdido Trip (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

fj40alex

SILVER Star
Threads
The July ONSC Hurricane Creek trip is back on for July 26-28th. @Roxx and @fj40alex will share blame in any missed turns or upside down map reading.

This is an expo style trip in which self-reliance is the subject: limited/no bathrooms, no gas stops, no showers, no guaranteed camping sites as we will be miles from paved roads at times. We will be seeing a mixture of mostly gravel roads, some paved, and even some 4x4 only roads. Along the way you can expect short mountain hikes, scenic views, refreshing mountain streams, cool nights spent around a campfire and maybe a bear or two. Expectations are that any Toyota with 4WD will do fine on the terrain we'll be covering. (Read here: You don't need lockers, a lift, mud tires, etc.)

As far as equipment, gear, etc., those attending will coordinate so we don't have more than 2 of most things (campstoves, etc) and yet ensure we have firewood, tarps, rope, saws, shovels, potable water, etc. At a minimum, an attendee would need a lightweight sleeping bag, tent, and cooler/fridge, and $ for the group meals.

This trip will be open and limited to 9 paid members of ONSC. We require that attendees have an active membership before signing up to give our club members a fair shot, given the fact that these trips are extremely popular and that they are official events. New members encouraged!

We'll meet by noon at Sierra Nevada brewery in Asheville for lunch Friday July 26th. After lunch (1:30pm) we'll refuel, head down the road to HC (aka Widowmaker Turn off I-40), and make our way up to Wolf Creek Falls Camp. Expect to hike Max Patch (and fly kites) on Sat morning, picnic lunch on the trail, tour the nearby 4x4 hot spots, and swim. Sat camp location TBD. Return Sunday via Asheville.

Last year we hit Wolf Creek Falls, Max Patch, town of Hot Springs, a fire tower, swimming holes, Paint Rock campground, etc.
Friday lunch: Sierra Nevada brewery
Friday dinner: hamburgers & hotdogs
Sat am: bacon & eggs
Sat lunch: DIY lunch on the trail
Sat dinner: Mexican comida
Sun am: More bacon, more eggs
Sun lunch: on road home

PM me for questions.

Last edited:
I will be most likely with three kids. (No, it is not a bastard daughter). My niece is coming with me. If you guys want i can buy the same mexican food i got last year. That will do Saturday group diner. Some one will be responsible for salsa, cheese, chips sour cream, etc. Last year I bought a lb of each carnitas, chicken and meat and tortillas.
I normally take plenty of water with me and my standard recovery gear. Probably and extra radiator cap too 😜😜

I was hoping to make one of these trips this year. Thanks for organizing this! Hope to see you guys soon.

I was hoping to make one of these trips this year. Thanks for organizing this! Hope to see you guys soon.
Throw some camping gear into the rig and caravan out there. Add a kid or two also. Shaping up to be a good crew.

Throw some camping gear into the rig and caravan out there. Add a kid or two also. Shaping up to be a good crew.
I really wish I could. Unfortunately my flight doesn’t get in until 7pm Friday night and I drop off my youngest at camp on Sunday.

Sorry all, I’m going to have to politely bow out, I just can’t make it work with the new job, kids camp schedules, and lack of time to get 60 street legal. This kills me because this is my favorite trip. Terribly sorry and humbled. Hopefully next year

@fj40alex,

I’d like to join the trip if there is still room. As of right now, the Cruiser is in the shop, but I’m optimistic it will be running by Wednesday. As or right now, it would be just me, but I would plan on recruiting a friend to join.

Great. The more the merrier. @Roxx was helping me wrench last night so I know the feeling. I'll add you to a conversation thread on meal planning.

6CBF40FA-5510-4F5C-837C-2026FB5393E1.jpeg

If you guys are in the neighborhood the ga. Gambler guys are camping in Murphy NC this weekend.

See you guys tonight, im headed out after work, hopefully i get off early. Not counting on it though.

Y'all have fun! Nice seeing everyone.

@fj40alex Cross post from the spotted thread....
We are on the way to Hartwell GA for the weekend. Saw your rigs at Sierra.
20190726_125324.jpg

Wife and I are sitting by the cornhole out back. :beer:

What a nice trip with a very good group of people. Thanks Alex for the navigation and cooking.

He has some skills

2719F515-682B-4201-98E0-44027B7CB942.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom