July Trip to Colorado (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Sounds very interesting. When would you be thinking of this, and what do you mean by a "hot shower await(s)"?

BTW, WRU anyway?

Here's something to throw some of you off.

For those of you who are still interested in getting up to Colorado this month, how about a trip on the Holy Cross trail? You'd want to at least have a rear locker and 33's, otherwise people in F250's could follow. It's rated as a 8/10 on the Colorado "hardness" scale, with the last mile a 9/10. Good scenery, camp spots and a hot shower await...

Thought I'd throw it out there.

Ali, myself, and his friends leave this Friday. We'll be in the Silverton area for the weekend. I'm coming home on Tuesday.

G

I'd love to do the Holy Cross trail some day as I've heard lots of things about it...easy, wasn't one of them...!! It'd be worth making a weekend trip just for this trail someday.

Is there a link somewhere describing Holy Cross?

Some links for Holy Cross trail:

http://www.4x4now.com/trcohc4.htm
http://www.lrrforums.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=279

I'm really flexible on a weekend to do this - it could either be the 28/29 of July weekend, or one of the first weekends in August. If anybody would actually like to go (sounds like nobody ever gets out with my wife and I lately doesn't it) lets pencil in a date.

I think most of you guys have met me, at least those of you who were in the group back in 1998-2001 time frame. Back then I was driving an olive drab FJ-40 on 35's. At one point I decided to pick up where Grant had left off with STOUT Equipment with my own little operation called Invasion Off-Road. After trying to juggle that with a day job as a bike mechanic, not to mention getting back to TVI and UNM for an engineering degree, I fell out of the 4wd scene for awhile. (Greg Wolf - hope that front bumper is still doing good for you on the 60.) Anyhow, I finally graduated from UNM with a Mechanical Engineering degree and have the chance/time to get out for some fun again.

Now I'm driving a 1984 Toyota minitruck on 37's. Apart from it being set up for any trail in this country, I've also got some AWESOME creature comforts built into it. Included in these comforts is an underhood hot water shower system. Hence, "hot showers await."

- Brandon Roby

Hi Brandon!

Are my sliders still under warranty? If yes, they need some upgrades and straightening.

:D

-Mike-

Ahhh, I know who you are now. Welcome back.

hey Brandon, i did my first trip to Jaws of Death with you. since then i have run that trail in it's entirety (sp?).

Shawn W.

Hey Shawn, remember when we got lost that night and camped on the edge of some mesa out near the Jaws? We woke up the next day to finally find the trail, run out of gas, and my alternator to fail...

Mike - we could look at your sliders and do some mods/fixes. What's going on with them?

Greg Wolf - hope that front bumper is still doing good for you on the 60
A little scratched but otherwise holding up well. Never did get around to putting the hoop on - bought the tube then *ucked it all up on Larry's bender...

Welcome back.

I'm a professional tube destroyer when I try to use benders so I know what you're talking about :)

Mike - we could look at your sliders and do some mods/fixes. What's going on with them?

Steve is a lousy spotter so the rails got a little bow in them and Troutrunner made me bend them up a little more trying to follow him around the Puerco. :D

Seriously though, I screwed up in the design stage. I expected to remove the step rails every time I took it wheeling and now, I never take them off. Two tabs to attach the step to the main rail are not nearly strong enough. I need 4 per side or just weld the darn thing or replace it with a tube.

Now that I know you are lousy at bending tube I'll have to reconsider the value of that life-time slider warranty from IOR ... ;p

-Mike-

Hey... I didn't say I was lousy, I just said that I was a professional tubing destroyer!

Lets look at those sliders one weekend and see what needs to change.

It's rainy up here in Silverton. Pack your rain slicks and warm weather gear next week!

Speaking of "next week", as in this weekend coming up (July 28-29), as far as I can tell, all interest in the planned Colorado trip has totally fizzled out.

I would still like to go wheeling. How about a day trip to the Puerco or the Jemez? Sunday would probably be best for me, but I'd consider a Saturday trip.

Anybody interested?

Evan

Sunday sounds good - and early is fine. Any preference for location?

I could possibly be up for it - Puerco would be a little bit toasty but then it's closer...

After about two weeks of avoiding a new and expensive sound that my truck developed, I found this weekend that I have broken the following at some point (maybe on Mt Blanca earlier this month?):

Rear axle (passenger side)
Rear brake cylinder (passenger side)
Master Cylinder (probably because of cylinder failure)
Rear wheel bearing (passenger side)

SO, parts are on the way to get the P.O.S.T. all fixed back up. I'm still going to head up to Colorado, but am pushing my weekend trip to August 4-5. Not sure where I'm ultimately headed yet, but HDC members are welcome to join me. There's an area north of Chama that I'm thinking of heading towards. I'll probably leave Friday evening, get up to a decent camping spot that night, and then drive the road/trail in on Saturday morning. I think it's called the Wheeler Geologic Area, but that's just what I can remember off the top of my head right now.

If anybody wanted to do Holy Cross, I'd be up for that too. (that would be harder 4wheeling for sure)

- Brandon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom