Jerry Can Mounting Solution? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone,
I’m brand new to this forum and frankly still haven’t figured out what the heck I’m doing, so if I’m doing anything wrong just let me know!
I figured I’d start my own thread since I have not found any solutions on this forum for what I’m looking for.
For the longest time I’ve wanted the find a way to attach a Jerry can to my 72 fj40. Mounting to the driver side rear door isn’t an option because the upper swing door needs to open. So it needs to be a separate swing out Jerry can carrier.
I’ve considered purchasing a tire carrier from later models to configure into a Jerry can holder. This was my plan until I saw a Jerry can mounted to a stock fj40 which has the three swing doors on earlier models. It looks like the Jerry can is mounted to the hinges of the stock left hand door. I’ll provide photos.
Does anyone know what sort of mounting door this is? I’m hoping it’s not fully custom or that it’s at least something I can buy.
If I was super confusing and need to explain more let me know!
I also added a photo of my rig to show the similar setup I’m working with.

0A8129E5-3912-48F5-B915-664A721A30F0.png
C1D60011-2327-4407-A494-21629D69DDE0.png
6C1650C7-D5E9-4496-BECD-387D64AEDCEB.png
6F399ECA-5465-4FB4-9559-B7293139D65A.jpeg

I've never that set up in your first pics. but I like it. Do you have more info on that mount? Looks like something similar could be fabbed up.

I really don’t have any more info. I saw it on a Venezuelan fj Instagram account so there’s a bit of a language barrier. Other than this is the only example I’ve ever seen of this way to mount a Jerry can.
it seems they used the latch system from the 76-84 tire carriers, but the mounting to the hinges is what I’d be most confused to tackle.

I saw it on a Venezuelan fj Instagram account,,,

Now you're just talking crazy :flipoff2:

That's the official 'Mud salute. Who knows what someone fabbed up down there. I've never seen that approach but maybe it's much more common than I realize. The way they've done it you won't be able to open the carrier more than 90º. Same with the rear DS door. It almost looks like you couldn't open the carrier and then the door without closing the carrier back to the door first. That's why Toyota mounted the tire carriers well out toward the edge of the rear quarters. While most of us like stuff that looks cool the rule to follow is:

Function Over Form

You might be on your own. Post up what you end up with.

That Toyota Expedition can carrier is available in foreign markets and I think City Racer, LLC Roger sells them. I believe it bolts right up on a 70 Series, not exactly sure how it mounts on a 40. You will need the mounting piece and the can holder. It is very cool and OF COURSE never offered here in the USA. Toyota is great at taking our money, not so great at listening to what the 4X4 crowd here stateside wants! It is quite clear both Jeep and Ford listen to their customers, but a Bronco without a solid front axle is not a Bronco IMO. Just like a Landcruiser without a solid front axle is not a Landcruiser. Ok, rant over. Let us know what you find for that mount setup, it is very cool👍

Interesting Venezuelan fabrication and what looks like an OEM Toyota gas can / mount. Doubt if it would open all the way though. I wouldn't trust the door to hold a full Jerry can for very long either which defeats the purpose.
I simply added a second tire carrier to mine, which is much stronger than the door, and made it into a gas can holder +. Swings well out of the way for rear access and has worked great for years.
Hard to see but I have a `76 tire carrier on the driver side and a '68 carrier on the passenger side.

Fotor_160005754332146.jpg

fotor_1620843483890.jpg

Last edited:
Nice Ryan, that looks like a 4 Plus carrier, I also have one on my ‘78, love it! I like the idea of hauling extra cans over a long range tank, been there, done that🙄

Nice Ryan, that looks like a 4 Plus carrier, I also have one on my ‘78, love it! I like the idea of hauling extra cans over a long range tank, been there, done that🙄
Yup, that's a 4plus rack. I'm not sure on the basket, I know it's a 4plus but I don't know what model it is for.

I found it for a smoking deal on CL.

Yup, that's a 4plus rack. I'm not sure on the basket, I know it's a 4plus but I don't know what model it is for.

I found it for a smoking deal on CL.
Hey Ryan. The guy who makes them is Dave Gore, a bit of a local Landcruiser legend here in AZ! His stout construction and excellent welds are a thing of beauty. He also did the shackle reversal for the PO on my ‘78, it was there when I bought it. He has mad welding skills. What I like about the 4Plus stuff is that it is overbuilt, much like our 40’s👍

Why not mount it on the passenger side? Here is a thread on a facebook forum about my jerry can mount.

EBBEA064-5FDF-475D-8D70-999CCDDFE108.jpeg
5334EB64-CCE4-43B1-BD29-F6715C435261.jpeg
Alright, it’s been a while, but this past summer I put together a solution that I think worked out great. I decided to extend my 4plus tire carrier and add a mounting plate for a Jerry can/shovel. The addition itself (not including the can/shovel) only cost like $120 if you go the cheap route and coat it with rustoleum rather than powder coat it.
Also put a few inches of square tubing shimmed inside right under the weld. It fit super tight, so that weld will likely never fail. Also found a way to mount the right bumperette, so the back end it definitely rounding out. All we need now is the license plate lights and we’re good to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom