JDM Rear Bumper Options (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi Everyone,

I spend most of my time in the 70-series section, but in about a month, I will also have a reason to post regularly to the 80-series section!

I have an HDJ81 taking a cruise to the US from Japan. It has a factory rear spare tire swingout. I have been researching options for an aftermarket rear bumper to carry fuel, but I haven't seen much that would work well with the OEM tire swingout.

Does anyone have an aftermarket rear bumper that is only left-swinging? The tire carrier is on the right, and every rear bumper option I've seen from various vendors considers a tire carrier as "required".

Ideally, I'd love to see if I can get just a left side swingout for carrying jerry cans, so I can use the OEM tire carrier.

Would love to hear some thoughts. If there's not much to be said, then I'll just reach out to the vendor I like the best and ask for a custom one as described.

Thanks!

Last edited:
what about this?

what about this?

This is very cool!

But I was asking about 80-series bumper options... Or do I misunderstand your post?

This is very cool!

But I was asking about 80-series bumper options... Or do I misunderstand your post?
my bad! I saw your post in the list of postings on the right and your user name. I assumed it was in the 70 series section.

Once he gets caught up, maybe something like this? I think he only makes them for spares tires at the moment, but it could be done.

I've added the 4x4 Labs bumper to Xena, our HDJ81. I built the kit and raptor lined it.
If you ordered the kit, you could customize the length of the left swingout. Otherwise, I think the factory carrier might impact the regular swingout length. One of the reasons I ended up with the HDJ was to eliminate the need for extra cans...12 vs 20 mpg :)

PXL_20220223_195730527.jpg
PXL_20220223_195718975.jpg

How would you mount a swingout Jerry Can without blocking the licence plate? I've found a yellow plastic diesel container with an eccentric spout to mount on my ARB roof rack that I intend to attach with a clear plastic hose and valve to fill my fuel tank as needed. Pictures at eleven...

Most relocate their license plate to the swingouts anyway so not an issue (as seen on Dingo):

DSCN0159.jpg

For extra fuel I use NATO 20l cans and super siphon. The NATO can has the best seal I've used and I am comfortable with it inside the cabin or strapped flat on top of the roof. I make a practice of emptying the cans into the tank as soon as there is space available. Here is the best deal I've found on these cans:

can.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom