It's Time for a Change (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just wanted to pass on some info: a combination of additional medical issues (likely nonfatal but limiting), my 82nd birthday, and concern that I might be endangering those around me in the woods, I've decided to sell my truck.

I've been putting together a list of upgrades to the truck and will share it once it is completed. (I already have a full page of upgrades.)

The truck was built for Overlanding by Poser on IH8MUD, and Overland it did for a handful of years (Colorado, Utah, the Dakotas, etc.) before moving to PA. It had 110,000 miles when I brought it back from Florida in 1977, and has 167,000 now.

Now that I'm here, I've really enjoyed getting to know Toyota folks from the Club. They have been extremely kind and supportive to me.

I've been told that the best way to sell the truck is by BAT, and it looks promising. But I would really rather sell it to someone in the club or associated with someone in the club.

I've not settled on an asking price yet but will do that soon.

Thoughts or suggestions?

Vince

I just wanted to pass on some info: a combination of additional medical issues (likely nonfatal but limiting), my 82nd birthday, and concern that I might be endangering those around me in the woods, I've decided to sell my truck.

I've been putting together a list of upgrades to the truck and will share it once it is completed. (I already have a full page of upgrades.)

The truck was built for Overlanding by Poser on IH8MUD, and Overland it did for a handful of years (Colorado, Utah, the Dakotas, etc.) before moving to PA. It had 110,000 miles when I brought it back from Florida in 1977, and has 167,000 now.

Now that I'm here, I've really enjoyed getting to know Toyota folks from the Club. They have been extremely kind and supportive to me.

I've been told that the best way to sell the truck is by BAT, and it looks promising. But I would really rather sell it to someone in the club or associated with someone in the club.

Thoughts or suggestions?

Vince
Hi Vince, sad to hear the situation. I applaud you for trying to keep it in the group here.

For anyone who doesn't know this is a clean truck, well taken care of. Meticulously maintained.

Thoughts or suggestions?

Vince

Vince,
It has always been a pleasure wheeling with you. I wish you the best in mastering your medical concerns and I hope that I will have the pleasure of your company on the trails yet again.

Rather than selling, would it be possible to re-check within your family to see if they would want to keep it? I recall your daughter driving your truck like an ace a couple years back. Your family may not plan on wheeling, but they may value your truck and the memories it holds more than what they are letting on.

For example, my daughters have all stepped forward and laid claim to which of my Cruisers they want. They have no plans to wheel them; but growing up with Cruisers in the family, they have an appreciation for them. Your family may also have similar appreciation too, but they might be too polite and reserved to voice their interest.

Good luck in sorting out your plans. Best of health to you.

Vince,
I'm very sorry to hear this. Loved watching you wheel and chatting with you these last few years, and hope you keep coming out as a passenger.
Kris

Vince,

My son Ryan and I had the pleasure wheeling with you and chatting with you on your 80 the past couple years. Take care and keep in touch with the group.

Rich

Bummed out to hear this news Vince, but deeply respect the decision you've made about safety. You've always been a real gentleman to talk to and a heck of a wheelman. Still amazed at the places you took that 80 and came out unscathed! :clap:

Best of luck with your health, and hope to see you out and about in the future.

Last edited:
Hoping we can still have your company as a passenger for outings. A huge THANK YOU for being my personal trail guide and spirit animal as I learned how to use my truck over the past 3 years. I spent a whole year just following every line Vince showed me and it always allowed me to feel safe on the trails. I always enjoy hearing your stories of places you went and adventures you and your wife took while living in MN.

For those that don't know, Vince's 97 LX450 has ALL the toys ... supercharged, gears, part time kit, dual batteries w/fridge setup, bumpers, winch, lift, and skid plates on 35s. Just an amazing truck that is always well maintained.

Vince, it is always fun wheeling and having good conversations while in the woods and at Gary's Cabin at CMCC and other events. Take a step back when needed but not a step out. Always a seat for you in our rigs!
Sincerely, Matt

Whoever ends up with this rig will be VERY happy!

I've wheeled with Vince many, many times, and this truck is very capable. It is perfectly built, well maintained, and needs nothing.

Good luck with the sale, and I hope it remains local.

We'll miss you on the trails, Vince!

Vince,
It has always been a pleasure wheeling with you. I wish you the best in mastering your medical concerns and I hope that I will have the pleasure of your company on the trails yet again.

Rather than selling, would it be possible to re-check within your family to see if they would want to keep it? I recall your daughter driving your truck like an ace a couple years back. Your family may not plan on wheeling, but they may value your truck and the memories it holds more than what they are letting on.

For example, my daughters have all stepped forward and laid claim to which of my Cruisers they want. They have no plans to wheel them; but growing up with Cruisers in the family, they have an appreciation for them. Your family may also have similar appreciation too, but they might be too polite and reserved to voice their interest.

Good luck in sorting out your plans. Best of health to you.

Checking out the family's interest is a good idea. But, unfortunately, I come up empty. My family consists of two grown daughters and four granddaughters, plus a SIL and wife. My wife has no relatives, so there are no candidates there.

Years ago, of the grown daughters, one said, "Hell no." The other daughter, Suzanne, ratcheted herself up to total concentration for the day and did well. She said, "I tried it, it was ok, not again." (Her sport is ocean kayaking, which I tried and said, "not again.") The four granddaughters are Gen Z to the core. The automobile is just one of several transportation choices to them. All of the needs of one of them can be met by "just getting my sister to drive me."

I’m just bummed to hear about this Vince, we made a connection. You’re a class act. Thank you for your insight and sharing your wisdom.

I haven't wheeled in a while but Vince's rig always stood out. My 80 has been out of commision for a few years and wish i could afford this rig. Supercharged 1fz's are a rarity and this would be a dream truck to have. Good thoughts and respect to you Vince for the few times we wheeled and met and enjoyed at the CMCC events also.

Hard to believe this was 10 years ago. Glad I got to be your co-pilot (and personal driver 🤠)

IMG_4230.sm.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom